dgraz's new painting thread

dgraz

wow at this point I'm still in awe

Thanks.

How do you do that striated effect, like on the muscles for chompy or Cujo's chest and even in the darker 'stripes' in cujo's hair.  I totally want to steal it (with a totally different pallet) for my Cujo to make up for the lack of actual texture.  Is it just freehand trickery or something else?

Dave

Cujo was a dog.........(sorry, I had to).

Yeah, just freehand.....requires lots of patience, brush control, a good brush, and properly thinned paint. I start with a dark base coat, then use successively lighter colors (I normally just add a little white or off-white to my base color)....its all little lines layered on top of each other getting thinner and thinner, and shorter and shorter as I go. They don't need to be perfectly centered on top of each other...in fact some variation and randomness is good because nothing in nature is that uniform. I usually do 5 or 6 layers.

It takes some practice, I've been working on that technique for years now.....it really helped that I started developing it with my Hordes Trolls (which I don't play anymore).....the big Dire Trolls were perfect for it because they are well-muscled and really big so there was room to work.....if you check out my trolls on my photobucket account you'll see that they aren't as good as what I'm capable of now.

A little knowledge helps too.....knowing the correct direction to lay the lines is pretty important....some things you can fudge through, but something like muscles or covering something with it, like Cojo, they really need to be right.

I wish you lots of luck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

DGRAZ,

I really like your work, the attention to detail you put into painting miniatures is so impressive. The day dreams are my favorite. I kinda "dig" the mushroom idea, and may use that in the future someday. My only complaint (don't take it personally I usually have 1) is I'm not thrilled with some of your color choices.

Nighthater

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your kind words. 

Man, you just keep getting better and better!

Thanks. I had finished them.....but then remembered what you said about focal points....and even though I didn't want to use different colors, I went back in and punched up the highlights on the heads......it really made a difference.....at least in person. I also used warm and cool blacks to complement the cool and warm colors (respectively). Your painting and advice are really helping me up my game.

My only complaint (don't take it personally I usually have 1) is I'm not thrilled with some of your color choices.

Nighthater

I never take criticism personally....it's one of the best ways to get better. But, could you be more specific? What choices did you think could have been better and what would you have chosen?

In yesterday's game ZFiend told me about these and yeah, certainly amazing stuff! Really nice work!

Are you going to add vegetation to the bases? As I think that they are a bit boring currently (though the small mushrooms are awesome) and making them more lush would make the Silurids themselves pop even more.