dgraz's new painting thread

dgraz

Thanks everyone. The mushrooms are a first attempt.....stolen right off of this awesome site : http://www.necrotales.com/necroTutorials/tut_mushroom01.php I was pretty happy with them.

I also really like Lilitu's hair being light blue like her skin but done in a very different style and a slightly different hue - shows off the differing texture extremely nicely. 

Thanks for noticing. I really wish I was a better photographer and/or had a better camera......you noticed the plucked eye, but it actually looks even better in person (imo)...there's actually 3 shades to the white, 3 to the blood, and 4 blues.....so tiny....I still have a tic in my own eye from it LOL.

Thanks everyone. The mushrooms are a first attempt.....stolen right off of this awesome site : http://www.necrotales.com/necroTutorials/tut_mushroom01.php I was pretty happy with them.

Here's another nice mushroom tutorial (if you wish to do different kinds): http://anakron.fr/site/index.php/l-atelier/tutoriels/item/sculpter-des-champignons 

Thanks for noticing. I really wish I was a better photographer and/or had a better camera......you noticed the plucked eye, but it actually looks even better in person (imo)...there's actually 3 shades to the white, 3 to the blood, and 4 blues.....so tiny....I still have a tic in my own eye from it LOL.

I did like that you included the gigantic original pictures so I was able to zoom in on the stuff right and proper - your painting is amazing to not to flinch from the extreme close-ups :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. The client wanted a Halloween/Harvest theme which actually gives me quite a few warm colors to work with.....that's why I went with the blue/grey skin tone...thinking that any other color would contrast well against it while giving all models a similar feel. It's actually one of the more broad crew color palettes I've used........blacks, browns, greens, reds, oranges, yellows....so many choices :)

Thanks. Yes, it took ages......and ages. I think it may have given me PTSD :) Many, many layers......so, so much hair.......the teeth and claws too...they were like 7 or 8 layers and took a few hours with all the little striations in them.

Totally worth it though. It really is an epic model.....my hat is off to the sculptor. I'm not much of a photographer, and he actually looks quite a bit better in person. You can see the depth in his hair better.....and of course his teeth aren't blurry....you can just about count each one from across the room.

• 3 weeks later...

How do you do that striated effect, like on the muscles for chompy or Cujo's chest and even in the darker 'stripes' in cujo's hair.  I totally want to steal it (with a totally different pallet) for my Cujo to make up for the lack of actual texture.  Is it just freehand trickery or something else?

Dave