Som'er crew help wanted. Stuck atm.

Sklertic

Hey there!

As the title states, I bought the Som'er crew box just before the first 2.0 beta hit us, and I have sort of forgotten about him, but figure now is a good time to expand his crew.

I currently have the Som'er crew box (Som'er, warpig, 4 x bayou gremlins) and McTavish.

As a note, I am planning to grab Ulix when his box comes out, so I am mostly looking at non-pigs at the moment.

My problem is, that i have no idea what I need in terms of models to field an effective crew.

Any advice?

I was underwhelmed with Lenny when I tried him, but I didn't take full advantage of his auras so it's my fault really. I just don't like playing with my crew balled up. :P

Other than that, pretty much what rgarbonzo said. The Slop Hauler in particular is essential if you want to do any kind of summoning (and you will).

Thanks for the advice :)

Is the Ophelia box really needed? I get that she has some nice enforcers, but I heard that she's kinda cheesy at the moment?

Ophelia's upgrades were cheesy, and have been errata'd. The other models in her box are totally fine, IMO. Francois is strong, but not game-breaking, and the other Kin are useful enforcers to have.

Really in order of importance I'd pick up:

- 4-8 more Bayou Gremlins (I tend to need at least 8, but have never needed more than 12)

- 2 Slop Haulers (1x is a must-have for summoning, but I tend to prefer 2 in larger games)

- Lenny (great buffs and a good model by himself)

- 2 Skeeters (Giant Mosquitoes), they aren't the greatest totems in the world but you'll want them eventually.

- Ophelia box set

With those models you could very easily run a 35-40ss crew after buying upgrades. Add a Kin or two and a couple of upgrades on them and you've got yourself a perfectly legal and viable 50ss M2E crew for Somer.

- 2 Skeeters (Giant Mosquitoes), they are the greatest totems in the world and you'll want them immediately

You made a few typos, so I fixed them for you. ;)

The Kin models from Ophelia's box can add some serious punch to your So'mer crew. I had alot of success with Francois and Raphael in particular - I've never regretted taking either.

I would beg to differ on the cheesiness of Ophelia's upgrades, I have ran into other upgrades that are just as bad, and now that they have been cuddled they are barely worth taking.

I'd echo the sentiments about the Kin models in Ophelia's boxed set. Francois is excellent, just keep an eye on his health as he will both dish out and take a lot of damage in melee. Raphael is like a little green Swiss Army knife. Rami is an excellent sniper that can go Reckless and heal himself afterwards.

Pere is the only one that I am iffy on. First off, I can't seem to pronounce his name correctly. Secondly, I find that he is prone to either dying fast from enemy attacks or blows up and damages his friends. I get that he has potential but it never seems to pan out for me. Perhaps I just need more practice with him?

Lenny is awesome, just watch out for those Wp attacks!

I was underwhelmed with Lenny when I tried him, but I didn't take full advantage of his auras so it's my fault really. I just don't like playing with my crew balled up. :P

The Aura's are some of his main strengths. Som'er really likes him for his Piglet summoning though (especially if a pigapult is lying around).

You made a few typos, so I fixed them for you. ;)

Skeeters are good but I wouldn't call them the greatest totems. They have lost quite a lot due to the loss of Sooey!, there main use now is in passing out suits.

The Kin models from Ophelia's box can add some serious punch to your So'mer crew. I had alot of success with Francois and Raphael in particular - I've never regretted taking either.

Francois is one of my favorite Som'er augments, especially in the summon engine where he leads the mob.

Pere is the only one that I am iffy on. First off, I can't seem to pronounce his name correctly. Secondly, I find that he is prone to either dying fast from enemy attacks or blows up and damages his friends. I get that he has potential but it never seems to pan out for me. Perhaps I just need more practice with him?

I have had better success with Pere, but if I'm short on SS when hiring, he's the first one I drop from the list. You need to keep him out of harm's way until it's time to charge in and go up in a blaze of glory. Ophelia's movement tricks help a lot with that (Ooo... A girl, or jug rocket depending on situation) And Lenny and Pigapult can toss him into the middle of things too. But he's meant to be a cruise missile, not a support piece.

I love Francois, Rami and Raphael in any Somer or Ophelia crew. The LaCroix tend to be good beat-sticks, which might be what you're looking for. But it sounds like Lenny is the better "support" enforcer.

-DavicusPrime

Edited by DavicusPrime

If you're struggling with Pere, trying using Ophelia's 'Your Turn!' to teleport him over buildings!

EDIT: Just noticed this was a topic on Som'er. Eh. Point still stands.

Though a little less effective in this edition (due to the loss of Sooey! on Som'er) the Truffle Shuffle is another option for moving Gremlin models out of activation.