Need tips for priming in winter...

Hagisman

So its currently between 32 to -4 degrees F outside and about three inches of snow outside. I used to prime on an enclosed patio, but I've moved and do not have that luxury any more.

Any tips for priming models without going outside with spray paint primer? I'm hoping to get my McMourning completed by mid-january and not confident in being able to do so with this road block.

Paint on primer....inside. It's the only option. It's cold by me also.....it gets above freezing in the afternoon, so I spray prime then. I went ahead a primed a whole bunch of stuff before we go into the deep freeze. But if it never gets above freezing for you then paint on. Don't even try spraying....even in a garage or some such....it's not worth the aggravation when you get that sand paper look on your models.

First of all, try priming a disposable piece (like sprue or something) before trying this on the minis.

With that disclaimer out of the way, temperature isn't a problem. The problem is if it changes while the primer is drying. It's essentially the same as if you take a glass bottle from the cold and moisture condenses on its surface. The same happens here and that messes up the primer.

So what you need to do is either leave the pieces to dry outside or spray them quick and bring them in fast. If you opt for the former, be advised that the low temperature means that the drying time gets really long (like 24 hours for example). Also consider keeping the minis outside for a while before spraying to have their temperature match the outside temperature (if you plan on leaving them out to dry, not otherwise!).

Finally, be mindful of the humidity level. If it is very humid, then you can't spray prime. I would also avoid spraying in negative F temperatures.

I spray prime a lot during the winter and have had no problems once I realized this. I also knew a Canadian painter who only spray primed during the winter because he thought it gave a better surface.

I haven't had any problem with Duplicolor Sandable Primer in those conditions except when at the absolute lowest range (and lack of humidity contributed to that as well). I would spray in a garage then immediately take the models back inside for drying (preferably under a hot lamp). I have been priming like this the last few nights in Cleveland Ohio without any need to dip.

spray them quick and bring them in fast
This is what I do. My garage is technically indoors, but the door is rotted and ancient and the temperature is pretty much what it is outside.

We don't get much below freezing for any length of time, but even at 30F temps I have primed and had no trouble.

I leave the paint can and the minis in the house, so they are "room temperature"

Then I take both out to my garage. I have a shelf out there that is just for priming minis. I take the minis out on a separate piece of MDF so I can hit 5 or 6, one at a time, without running back and forth. The exposure to lower temps is typically two or three minutes, at the most.

I bring them back inside to dry.

Even with 60F range indoor temperatures the krylon primer I use dries to touch and I can handle or paint minis within ten minutes.

I actually find I have more trouble when the temps move above 90F.

if you have a bathroom with good exhaust, spray 'em in a garage or porch, immediately bring them in the bathroom, stuff a towel under the door, wait an hour or so for them to offgas.

That's pretty much what I do. I keep the models and spray cans in the house so they're room temp, go outside and spray in my shed then zip them into my bathroom and let them dry at room temp with the exhaust fan. It's worked very well.

-DavicusPrime

I have had lot more issues with sealers then primers when dealing with temperatures. Nothing **** you off worse then finally getting paint job why you want it then spraying with sealer to find a frosted look the next morning.

Cant really help you much on advise as Im type to use a cardboard box as a paint booth and deal with people screaming about the smell after :P

I have had lot more issues with sealers then primers when dealing with temperatures. Nothing **** you off worse then finally getting paint job why you want it then spraying with sealer to find a frosted look the next morning.

That definitely sucks though it can often be fixed by applying another heavy coat then placing the model under a hot incandescent light to dry.

http://www.thewarstore.com/product67952.html

it actually is a darker grey than what the box on the screen is. much more of a midpoint between black and white.

I just wish it was sold in bottles bigger than 17ml. I have a metric ****ton of priming to do when i get my kickstarter rewards assembled.

looking at that site, it seems vallejo has added several colors of airbrush primer that might be worth checking out.

That definitely sucks though it can often be fixed by applying another heavy coat then placing the model under a hot incandescent light to dry.

Yeah I found that out after stripped and repainted 3 minis once. :/

One time I wanted to duplicate the effects on a warmachine mini for a winter theme and no matter what I tried couldn't. Only strikes when you don't want it to heeh

Yeah I found that out after stripped and repainted 3 minis once. :/

One time I wanted to duplicate the effects on a warmachine mini for a winter theme and no matter what I tried couldn't. Only strikes when you don't want it to heeh

Having to strip a model after painting always sucks.

If you ever get the wild hair to try a frost a model intentionally try spraying in the bathroom with the shower running on the hottest setting and the doors and windows closed. Humidity is the normal culprit of frosting.