Vassal leagues 2014

AdrianMills

So the current vassal leagues should be completed by the end of year. I am looking at what is next for vassal leagues and I was wondering on people's thoughts about the following

A Rolling League with divisions, Depending on the number of people signing up I would envision the following

2 Week time period to arrange per Game

Once all games in all leagues have been completed an 8 week gap between leagues

Top of division gets promoted to the league above

Bottom of division gets demoted

Fixed Faction while the league is running may be changed in the 8 week rest period

Leagues local to geographic location i.e. Europe, America etc.

Flexible on the following

Game sizes fixed @ 50ss or incremental (25, 35, 40, 45, 50)

Fixed or Flipped strategy

let me know what you think

Sounds good to me Ade, I'm definitely up for this. A couple of thoughts:

Might be worth randomly placing everyone in a division to start with and then at the end of the first league putting everyone in a division based on their performance for the second league, then do the promotion thing after that?

Some sort of automatic demotion mechanism for players who miss more than one game during a league?

I would play in any format that ensures no player will vanish after a (lost) game or two. I had a very bad experience with the big Vassal league just happening where more than half of the groups just got dead because of one or two flippant participants.

Maybe the groups should be small (4 players) to minimize the chance of disappearing players.

I'm easy about how this will run but would put my name forward if any help is needed,

I would look for some league admins to help the different devishions run smoothly, they could be players from a different league and have no power over any thing other than pushing players not to forget games.

Think of a fear score for players who miss games so if some one drops out then it doesn't mess every one up

I like the idea of lots of small leagues so there will be a quick trun around with the chance to be promoted and demoted maybe the top and bottom player could go up and down ?

I think if you pick your faction it should be the faction you use all the while, so if you get promoted the that's the faction you play in the new league, you could always give people the option to switch to a different faction and drop down to the bottom leagues again.

I agree with most of what you said Lee, except this bit;

I think if you pick your faction it should be the faction you use all the while, so if you get promoted the that's the faction you play in the new league, you could always give people the option to switch to a different faction and drop down to the bottom leagues again.

I'd let players change faction between leagues. Locking players into a faction would make it difficult for players to switch factions and may mean more dropouts as players who want to change faction will drop out and have to start again.

I anticipate most people sticking with a faction through out but want to allow people to chage faction betweens leagues if they want. Populating leagues thought about using the uk takings where available but I can randomly assign eventually they will sort them selfs out.

Hopefully with local leagues we can cut down on drop outs during the but will have to wait and see

New league? Count me in :)

2 Week time period to arrange per Game

Sounds perfect for me.

Once all games in all leagues have been completed an 8 week gap between leagues

Good breather in between the leagues.

Fixed Faction while the league is running may be changed in the 8 week rest period

Why not take the opportunity to try out as set amount of masters, unrestricted to faction? Game is supposed to be balanced master to master in the new edition. Set the limit at three masters preregistered when applying for the league. The masters can be changed in the 8 week resting period.

Leagues local to geographic location i.e. Europe, America etc.

Could be up to player's choice? If there's a possibility to play with people from other locations around the world, why not encourage it?

Game sizes fixed @ 50ss or incremental (25, 35, 40, 45, 50)

I wouldn't mind point size increasing between games, starting off at 30 ss and increasing by 5 ss per game?

Fixed or Flipped strategy

Preferably fixed strategy. Maybe even bringing in story encounters? chance of bringing them out to play. Don't know about you guys, but it feels like they've been put away in a way. Don't know many people playing these.

I'm up for it, smaller leagues sound good

Just need to think about what to do about drop outs, maybe if someone disappears just scrub any results that they have played in and relegate them from the league they are in, this way you should end up with leagues only containing consistent players

Our current league wasn't too bad, only one player who seemed to disappear

I'd be in for whatever league happens to run. the more games I can get, the better!

That said, I agree with Mythic Fox to allow player flexability in choosing SS limits.

I also like the idea of people being able to change faction, between leagues.

I'm not sure if having people being sorted into locales is nessacarily a good idea or not... I'm in Japan, & most games I have are against people on the other side of the world & whilst it takes a little bit of effort, it's deffinately doable.

The big thing is what to do if people stooge the other person by not being able to play...

I'm very interested. If there was some sort of "how to use vassal" lesson or at least some patience in the first couple of games it would be great because I'm not familiar with how to play online but am very interested in doing so!

I'm sure people will be happy to teach you. It looks more daunting than it really is and we were all just starting with it not that very long ago, so not having used it before shouldn't stop anyone from joining.