No Rulebook = No Game

Hello there.

Please, let me say this straight. Why is it do f**ing rediculously impossible to buy a Malifaux M2E Rulebook on a LGS in Europe?

There has past more than 3 months since GenCon, when M2E was released. We are said, even by Wyrd, to support our LGSs, they are an important part of the chain who builds the community of a game, but it is almost impossible for them to get a copy of the rulebook to sell us.

We are forced to play with the last version of the wave1 Beta rulebook, so I should at least say Thank You! for it, but it is getting lame by now.

How come are you going to make your Malifaux community grow if you can't even bring a copy of the rulebook to a Demo game? 3 months after its release!

I don't want to be forced to buy it from a big online shop like Wayland (which is the one who is supposedly taking most of the copies that are sent to Europe, at least that's what 2 local shop owners are telling me, btw), and I don't know is the situation is exactly the same in other countries (even while I have read a few other people comment it is hard to get their copies as well).

Here in Spain, it is absurdly sad that almost the whole community has to play with the Beta PDF rulebook, with just a very very few lucky ones having their legit M2E rulebook.

Please, tell us what is happening here, but it is getting old by now.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Sezar

My LFGS is also having trouble getting books. I live in South Dakota. I asked why there was no Malifaux on the shelves, even offering to invest in the business so they could get models, arsenal packs, and books. I was told that they were waiting until they could get books on the shelves before they would get models. I believe the feeling here is also no rules = no game. This may be an issue worth looking into and raising its priority. There is interest in my area now, but if it takes 6-8 months to get books and models here, it may all have died.

[…] I don't want to be forced to buy it from a big online shop like Wayland (which is the one who is supposedly taking most of the copies that are sent to Europe, at least that's what 2 local shop owners are telling me, btw) […]

Wayland is not to blame; I ordered a copy from them about six weeks ago, and they are still awaiting stock.

Meanwhile, here in Germany, there seems to be no distribution at all for anything Malifaux related.

No need for foul language, but a timeline when we can expect it to hit Europe would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

I asked this question to Wyrd and got this response (from Nathan Caroland):

"Currently sold out - we'll be back in stock here after a bit."

I'd say be patient - I'm sure it's not Wyrd's intent to keep potential customers from buying their stock. I've been waiting over a month now. I suspect something has gone on beyond their control.

To be a bit pedantic, Gencon was mid August, it's now mid November, thus it has only been available at all for 3 months, and given that the official retail release was last September, it's actually only been around a month and a half.

I'm sure that it's very frustrating, and I'm not trying to minimize that, but to say that it has been 4 months is inaccurate by any stretch of the imagination.

I was literally just about to buy the rulebook from Wayland when I read this.

They say it's available, and ships between 3-9 days, but then I don't trust what they say anymore.

I think Gencon was a clear indication of just how popular M2E is. Considering how fast the stock they had with them at the show went, I can only imagine what the online orders during and after Gencon must have been like. My guess is they got their estimation wrong of what stock they would need.

At least the game looks to have a healthy appetite =]

I'm in the same problem in Arizona. My local game shop got in two copies with his initial order of M2E, and both of them sold before I got paid. It's extra frustrating for me, since I'm a new player and am still learning the game. But I'm sure Wyrd is trying to correct the problem as fast as they can.

I suppose it helps that the only game that competes for my attention atm is still playtesting (that sexy beast that is Arena Rex)

But if you have to queue too long at the Chinese, then maybe some will go for Mexican instead?

"Let them eat fajitas!" - Nathan Caroland (a direct quote I do believe ;))

My group have generally got on fine without the rulebook. The core rules are easy to memorise. We do tend to ignore or simplify the rules for terrain though, and keep things nice and casual. The lack of rulebook only really hurts those with old models and no arsenal deck (though the solution is in the problem there) or tournament/serious players who want to play the game 100% pure and correct. For me, I want the assurance that I do actually know the rules, plus I look forward to having all the profiles and some new fluff. That I can wait for. If a rules issue does come up, I'll come here for my answers.

EDIT: I spotted the rulebook on Table Top Miniatures. It's not ideal for those outside the US (shipping for me was almost as much as the book), but it seems to be in stock.

Edited by ThePandaDirector

The lack of rulebook only really hurts those with old models and no arsenal deck (though the solution is in the problem there) or tournament/serious players who want to play the game 100% pure and correct.

You're forgetting a very key group. New players who see all the M2E buzz in their communities but can't find how to play the game. New players who love the new models appearing on shelves but the game shop but have no idea how to use them. New players who enjoy a demo game only to be told they can't buy in just yet because the rules for this brand new game aren't available anywhere.

I'm sure Wyrd have the problem in hand - it's just taking an unfortunately long time to get the supply chain running again.

They say it's available, and ships between 3-9 days, but then I don't trust what they say anymore.

I'm waiting for a copy of Zombicide since 30 september.

That's being said I'm waiting for the restock of the book too. In Italy it's impossible to get, I have to look at Troll Trader, Wayland or other big EU sites. All out of stock though

Heard back from my "local" shop. His supplier said they'll have it mid-late November. So it seems to be on its way. In the meantime I might just buy more models (it's all part of Wyrd's plan...)

I'm waiting for a copy of Zombicide since 30 september.

That may be CMON's fault (don't know if Wayland rely on them). My Sedition Wars KS pledge took months (and a lot of emails) to get to me, and I'm still waiting on the delivery of my mispacks (9 items missing is just a joke).

I guess if KS has taught me anything, it's how to wait =P

Edited by ThePandaDirector

Speaking of touchy subjects...

On multiple levels actually, since I believe some people from Soda Pop are involved, and their 8 month delay seems to have been contagious, with a roughly 3 month delay rearing its head for the Robotech miniatures game.

And believe me, there's a very healthy sense of skepticism involved in taking that at face value.

The next million dollar KS I'm involved with that claims to be able to still deliver on time that doesn't have the words Dwarven Forge involved will be one I drop like a hot potato.