[SPOILERS] 12 Names for 13 Tyrants

Iron Heel

In the Guild fluff in the 2.0 book, Perdita comes out of her come with this info...12 names; all but one of the Tyrants. Some I know, others not.

Nytemare: Dreamer's playmate

Obliteration: The guy who adds nothing to Tara's un-life.

Plague: Hamelin's Mac-Daddy

December: Raputina's bitch

Gorgon: A sissy who cries a lot. :-) Is this supposed to be The Grave Spirit or is s/he the missing name?

Shez'uul: Fo shez'uul ma nizzul dizzul! I seem to recall the name from something, can't place it though. Is this who gave Dita that slammin' ride?

Fortune: Hmmm....Gremlins? Lynch? McCabe?

The Dragons: Ten T anyone?

Despair: Possible connection to Dora the emo explora?

Meridion: A balancer ala Vishnu? Connection to LJ?

Witness: Some connection to Jack Daw perhaps?

Cherufe: Sonnia Criid's heartburn.

So is the last one the Grave Spirit or do we get a new one?

The Gorgon's tear is connected to the Gorgon.

There is some indication that the Gorgon might be related to or connected to the grave spirit in an unspecified way, but I could have sworn it was a second entity in the aSeamus story in book 3. (i.e. Seamus had both in him at the same time). I will have to go back and reread all of that.

I doubt The Grave Spirit is a tyrant, at this point. If it were, it would step on the Gorgon's schtick. My guess is that either the Grave spirit is some other kind of entity, likely older than the Tyrants, it is the connected life-force of the Dead of Malifaux, created by the use of Soulstones, or it is simply a force that lies between Death and Life that happens to be more easily touched on the other side of the breach.

So the Tyrants we know;

Nytemare: Lord Chompy Bits

Obliteration: Tara's BFF

Plague: Currently occupying a Hamelin lookalike

December: The Voice in Raspy's head. Currently the dunce of the tyrants, having failed 3(?) times now to manifest. ;)

Gorgon: Related to the Gorgons tear, currently embedded in Seamus's Head.

Cherufe: Trapped in Sonnia/Sonnia's Lantern.

And the one's we don't;

Shez'uul: Related to Viktoria's Massemune Sword. Possibly the demon who was originally trapped in or banished by the blade? Then again, that particular demon was earthside at the time... maybe Shez'uul crossed into Earth much earlier, like Zoraida crossed from Earth to Malifaux?

Fortune: My first guess is that this might be or be related to the Hungering Darkness. Mind you, HD is more to do with addiction than gambling. Best guess is that Fortune will show up in Lynch's story at some point as another force he has to try and make a deal with.

The Dragons: The Samurai entry in the M2E book mentions that they answer to "The Dragon", so at least one of them could be 10-T related. Perhaps the second is an opposite, ie. like Yin and Yang?

Despair: If she wasn't already mentioned I would have said this was the Gorgon. Other than that, nope, don't have a clue.

Meridion: Maybe something to do with lay lines and astrological power of some kind?

Witness: Jack Daw Related? Not sure how it ties in with his background though - my understanding is that Daw was some kind of sacrifice involved in the closing of the first breach? Another theory might be that there's some relation to Perdita, what with her recent seeing truthyness and all...

...and the one's that may be tyrants;

Grave Spirit: Could be the Gorgon, but until the M2E book I thought they were seperate, with Grave Spirit representing death/entropy and Gorgon representing Despair? Then again, IIRC Grave Spirit resided in another dimension that was iopened in desperation by the original inhabitants of Malifaux to stop the Tyrants. Right??

The Governor: I personally think this guy's gotta be a tyrant. That, or he's already got some serious power and ambition.

• Like 2

New character. I think many of the Tyrants not already mentioned are still asleep even if they are destined to hook up with an already established character. December and Plague were the quick ones. Most should not have woken up quite yet.

I throw these theories out there:

Wong will be the Gremlin Tyrant. This explains his huge upgrade since he found his magic tools.

The Governor is just a normal human. However, the citizens of Malifaux were once not that different from humans. I think he trying to become a new Tyrant.

So, which of them is gonna be crammed into Shenlong? Dows he/she/it have any background material anywhere? Or is it a completely new concept character?

Morgan Vening

I think Shelong is a name for a dragon. He also comes from Earths Three Kingdoms and I sort of see it goes well with a dragon theme. It's also said that magic was still active in the Three Kingdoms and it has suposedley dissapeared from Earthside, so the tyrant being might be the one that's behind that...

• 5 months later...

Maybe Killjoy is a former Tyrant? Such thing has happened with Hungering Darkness, which had lost its powers and became what it's now. The curse of undeath and losing all of his memories are also included in this case.

In the Guild fluff in the 2.0 book, Perdita comes out of her come with this info...12 names; all but one of the Tyrants. Some I know, others not.

Nytemare: Dreamer's playmate

In the old books Nytemare denied being a Tyrant, also consider Zorinda and Lilith wanted to recruit his help (iirc) I don't think the Nytemare we know is the same as the Tyrant Nytemare. 

In the old books Nytemare denied being a Tyrant, also consider Zorinda and Lilith wanted to recruit his help (iirc) I don't think the Nytemare we know is the same as the Tyrant Nytemare. 

Lord Chompy Bits has NIGHTMARE, TYRANT characteristics in official 2nd Wave cards. So he seems to be that guy.

Actually, LCB never answers the question directly. When Pandora asks him about it, he redirects the issue to something else, and Pandora has an inner reflection that he's never considered the idea. If he is a Tyrant, he's forgotten it, which is quite possible considering the time involved. Or he's really, really good at misdirection, which would fit with him. It does say something that, like many of the other Tyrants, he is locked away in a sense. He has no physical presence in Malifaux not connected to the Dreamer anymore.

We don't have a lot about them, honestly. The Tyrants, as far as has been discussed, were mighty sorcerers. We don't know who, or what, they were before they became Tyrants. They are, collectively, the reason why Malifaux is so barren. They basically destroyed Malifaux, feeding off the souls of the dead to fuel their own lives. At some point, they each entered a state of near-immortality, around the time Malifaux was closest to being truly dead. Many of them, if not all, were locked away in various locations and various different items. At this point in the background, Hamelin, December and Cherufe are the most active, although Gorgon and Grave Spirit have made themselves known as well.

The one thing they all have in common now is a goal of true immortality. If they can harness enough power, they can transcend Malifaux into the aether, the realm beyond, where souls reside. There, they can feed on the host of souls and rule like gods. But, this isn't a 'let's get along' kind of goal. Instead, they are seeking to get there first, to establish themselves as the most powerful, if not the only, god of the aether. Each of them appears to have their own methods to accomplish this, although they all have some similarities. Being, at current, Spirits instead of physical beings, they all need a Vessel. For December, this is Rasputina. For Cherufe, Sonnia. For Hamelin... well, the Plagued seems to have pulled off a physical Manifestation, which I'm betting comes with some serious risks, considering how wary some of the others are about seizing that kind of control. Both Hamelin and December have spoken of a Key, which might indicate a similar kind of a plan between the two of them.

Edit: Okay, better way to put it. We have less than I'd like. :P

• Like 1