How to prep Malifaux plastics?

Grim

While washing plastic models isn't essential to remove the mould-release agent, I find that it is helpful to scrub the plastic parts gently with a toothbrush, some soap, and warm water to remove the dust created by filing and clipping. This is more of a personal choice, however, and it you choose to prime unwashed Wyrd plastics, you should have no issues.

Injection molding frequently uses mold release just like resin does. It's not always essential depending on the sprue, but most molds are given at least one quick spray at the beginning of a run.

You should clean every mini before priming if for no other reason than because the oils in your skin can screw up paint. I never touch my minis between priming and top-coating. If it's on a base, then I attach the base to something I can hold onto. If it's not on the base before painting, then I'm usually holding it with a pin vise.

I remove the lines before I assemble. I wash metals but not plastics.

A lot of prep is making sure the paint job lasts in the rough and tumble to gaming. The best varnish in the world wont keep paint on a model that it wasn't properly stuck to in the first place.

For this reason I think priming is really important. My models get a couple of coats of GW Skull White spray before painting. Each coat gets a minimum of four hours to dry before the next.

This gives my paint a lot of adhesion to the mini. I've noticed my minis chip a lot less since I've been taking more care in the way I prime.