Dual Faction Masters (explain like i'm 5)

capnwoodrow

Question

Ahoy!

So I stopped playing 1.5 around book 2, just no local interest except one opponent who I played week in and week out BUT with M2E there's been a bit of a resurgence locally and we have 4-5 locals playing again. That being said, I missed out on the DF Masters the first time around and M2E is my first experience with them.

Referencing page 72 it says they count as both factions for hiring, but can only take upgrades from who you announce.

So i'm reading it correctly that Zoraida (Neverborn/Gremlin) could hire Bad JuJu, a handful of siliruids, and then 4 gremlins? (Points allowing, obviously) But if I announced Neverborn as my faction before the game the only restriction would be she could take Neverborn upgrades?

This may be a 'duh' question, I think i'm just trying to make it more complicated that it seems.

6 answers to this question

No. You declare faction first. So if you declare NB, Zoraida cannot hire any gremlins, except through their own rules, I.E. being a mercenary or similar, or by her own card's abilities, which in her case allows her to hire living models of WP 4 or less as if they were mercs, which causes you to obey all restrictions and cost increases as well.

Some masters can hire any model with a particular trait regardless of which faction they are in, I.E. Leveticus with one of his Pariah upgrades from the Beta testing. Some like the Ten Thunder Masters have a trait they can hire up to 4 models of regardless of which faction they join.

Additionally if you hire a model from outside your faction, that still does not let you purchase upgrades from that faction. You may only purchase upgrades from your declared faction. So if Zoraida were to hire a Gremlin enforcer, as a merc, because of her special rules, she could not purchase and attach Gremlin upgrades to that model, but she could purchase and attach NB ones.

Not exactly. And Zoraida isn't a good example, as the hiring Bayou Gremlin bit falls under her 'Enthrall' ability to hire Wp 4 or less models.

First you announce your faction.

If you declare Guild, you could 'hire' McMourning as your master.

Then, you could hire any Guild model, or any other model in the game that has Guild as a Dual-Faction.

If you declared Rezzer, you could 'hire' McMourning and then hire any Rezzer model....or any model that has Rezzer as a Dual-Faction.

This is not counting any potential Upgrade that may change these restrictions...as in McMourning declared as Guild, could take the 'On the Clock' Upgrade to hire some Rezzer stuff or declared as Rezzer and taking the 'Moonlighting' Upgrade to hire some of the Guild stuff.

And yes, you may only use the Upgrades that apply to your declared faction. So, McMourning as Guild, could take the 'On the Clock' Upgrade to hire Sebastian, but Sebastian would not then be able to take his Rezzer specific 'Those are not Ours!' Upgrade.

Wow has this been a huge misunderstanding locally. People automatically flip to the Dual Faction section of the book (page 72) which reads:

Some models have two faction symbols shown on the associated stat cards. These models count as both factions for the purposes of hiring; however they may only have Upgrades from the announced Faction.

They see that and assume that this blurb is all that is needed for Dual Faction Hiring. So if you read this as written you can hire from both factions and you can only get the Upgrades from the announced faction. Keep in mind they should read the WHOLE page but we all know how players can be sometimes....

Well, you are not incorrect with your statement. If a model is dual faction and can be hired by crews which have declared one of their factions shown on the card.

For instance Rail Workers are 10T and Arcanist, meaning that either a 10T or Arcanist crew can hire them.

Where I think you are missing is the Masters do not specify who you can hire, it's the faction you declare that decides which models you can hire. (and which upgrades you can select)

Then, during hiring, you can bump into model specific rules that allow for hiring outside of faction, good examples are given in earlier posts.

Also, if I understand this right, Masters can't take their Master specific upgrades if they announce a different faction than the one that the upgrades belong to. For example, if Misaki declares herself to be leading an Outcast crew she cannot take any of her Misaki specific upgrades because they are all Ten Thunders upgrades- she can only choose from the general Outcast upgrades. Is this correct?

Also, if I understand this right, Masters can't take their Master specific upgrades if they announce a different faction than the one that the upgrades belong to. For example, if Misaki declares herself to be leading an Outcast crew she cannot take any of her Misaki specific upgrades because they are all Ten Thunders upgrades- she can only choose from the general Outcast upgrades. Is this correct?

Misaki's upgrades - and the upgrades of most dual-faction masters - are all dual-faction.