Wild West Exodus and Malifaux should have a crossover.

Jonas Albrecht

Well they're broadly similar settings, as in they both have a distinct oOld West feel about them (Malifaux being cooler, of course ;) ).

I actually bought into the WWX kickstarter so that I could grab some nice proxies for alternate Malifaux crews. Got some ideas for those American Indians.

I'm not sure if anyone here has any questions for the Outlaw Miniatures team about WWX, but if so please shoot them over to me (or just post them here). I will be recording an interview tomorrow (Wednesday) as a follow-up to our very popular earlier interview with Romeo about the game.

I'm not sure if anyone here has any questions for the Outlaw Miniatures team about WWX, but if so please shoot them over to me (or just post them here). I will be recording an interview tomorrow (Wednesday) as a follow-up to our very popular earlier interview with Romeo about the game.

Any questions I could come up with at the moment would be far from useful as I have yet to read the rules. I did finally download them from their site while mulling over their Gencon releases this weekend. [Speaking of which, I didn't notice Privateer Press' Cyriss Keg Guardian until last night. Woulda liked to grab that as my first model from them.]

I'll be sure to stay posted on the interview, though.

While Malifaux and WWX belong to roughly the same genre, the aesthetics really don't seem compatible. Nothing in WWX runs on steam, but it has a chunky, homogeneous, overwrought steampunk look while Malifaux seems much sleeker, creepier, humorous, and eclectic. The WWX releases just seem to be obvious choices based on the highly derivative world they've outlined. Both IPs are indebted to other literature, movies, history, etc. but new Malifaux crew design often surprises me in a way that WWX doesn't.

The fact that WWX is so aesthetically unappealing to me while Malifaux continues to hold my interest is indicative of some design dissonance between the two worlds. Were Wyrd to design earthside crews, I'd expect something far stranger and more interesting.

I agree with Jonas and Johnny that more non-stereotypical representations of Native Americans in Malifaux would be most welcome.

Edited by Attrition

The designs are different, to be sure. But, even if they were both from the same world, the lack of ambient Malifaux energies Earthside would necessitate different magi-tech than Breachside. Engineers on both sides would approach things from a different mindset.

That the Warrior Nation can still call upon their magics while the rest of the Guild could not, thus having to discover the Breach in the first place, is telling, in and of itself. And, it could explain, at least in an amalgam universe, why we don't have more Native Americans in Malifaux.

Not a question, but tell them to put in more badass female characters like Belle Starr and Annie Oakley, in non-midriff minis, so I can convince Tuesday to play.

And Malifaux doesn't?

I think Malifaux has Western influences but it takes things from a of different places. I feel WWX just feels like a knock off of all sorts of Western sci-fi settings, movies and books. Not that its a bad thing or anything but it seems way to derivative.

Its strange because I talked to Romeo at length about the game at Adepticon and on one hand he touts how its such an original idea(which we all know its really isn't) but then the next second is how he is "borrowing" ideas from places.

The minis do look nice and I plan to get some to paint but I don't like a few things

1) Romeo and his design seemed to equate casual play = small force size. I don't like games where the complexity lessens with less models(thus I play Malifaux)

2) The games made to played at an Army level and a "skirmish" level, but when they say Skirmish they mean Privateer Press skirmish level(20 to 30 models a side).

3) I am not a big fan of the vehicles, they seem less Old West with accelerated technology and more like things we'd see on Firefly or Bravestar (IE Future tech cowboys). I know that is nitpicky but its a distinct style difference.

Anyways I hope it does well and my understanding is there planned demo team ideas are pretty cool. If it goes like Romeo told us at Adepticon, There demoers will basically get a free Battlefoam bag and two free armies to demo with in exchange for a commitment to run events once a month(or more I can't recall). Its honestly the nicest deal I have heard for that kinda thing.

I remember thinking it was odd in Nix's interview when Romeo said that there was no magic in his setting, insisting that the Warrior Nation characters were not using "magic" to turn into totem animals but rather some kind of spirit power from the Earth. Hmm.

I've got one - Did they really just photoshop in the eye and mouth on their painted Billy the Kid model? ;)

Billy_The_Kid__91572.1376593281.1280.1280.JPG

More seriously, I'd definitely like to hear some more info about what the smallest viable game size would be (like you, the 15+ "skirmish" size has me a little concerned), and how the game would work at that size.

Also, what was with those tiny Totem markers they previewed with the Spirit Totem render? They looked like great potential scheme markers, but I haven't seen anything of them since.

I look forward to your interview! The game certainly looks interesting and any extra info you can get out of him would definitely be appreciated.

Edited by Rathnard