M2E Viks

Matney X

So, I didn't expect it, but I decided to buy the Viks box instead of Lady Justice. I've never really looked at them, before, so I'm not sure what to expect.

I haven't played a lot -- I started playing with the M2E Beta, and have so far only played Lady Justice, Raspy, and Mei Feng (and lost every game).

So, what should I expect? Any tips and tricks?

The are not as straightforward as they where in last edition, they have a lot of buffs and abilities that is based on Sister models being either close together are away from each other so it can be a game of positioning to get the right buffs off. Their movement tricks have been limited a little but are still there. To me they looks like the old crew, only with more things to do with them and more engaged gameplay.

I've only faced them twice in M2E thus far but at their absolute simplest, they're still a glass cannon. They hit really hard and will go down relatively easily, but as Gorbad said, their multiple layers of mutual buffs means you'll want to think more about who activates when and their relative positioning.

Vikis crew only really have to worry about shooting heavy crews. Against any melee based crew they will pretty much slaughter it. Ronins can't be charged so they can run up as fast as possible to capture objectives, Viki's with the right upgrades can slaughter anything, soulstones are awesome for them as you can always make sure whirlwind goes off. Being able to pre measure everything means you never have to worry about if your at the right point to hit everyone with whirlwind. They are one of the crews that really benefit from 2.0 rules changes.

The Viks do have to worry about melee crews. I played a game that was basically the Misaki box, Oiran and a Monk of Low River vs Viks, Student, 3x Ronin, 2x Desperate Mercs, Bishop and a Convict Gunslinger. Misaki Dive Charged into the Viks, Student, a Ronin and a Merc (only the Merc had activated at that point) turn 1 and they lived through turn 2 mostly due to Joker involvement.

The Viks lived through turn 2 because they flipped RJ on defense and Misaki flipped BJ on attack. Who charges who first depends on terrain and Smoke Bombs. But I don't see how it would work out better for the Viks when charging compared to having their target jump into their melee range without actually attacking them.

As a resser player, I know I can kill a vik with a focused strike and an attack as long as I have the no prevention aura near and even without that, _I haven't had the hardest time putting a fast punk zombie into somebody's face, 4 double paired attacks from a punk zombie have very good odds of either ending a vik or making a mess of her. Those 7 wounds make them REALLY fragile.

In M2e I've found that the Viks do die more often than not. The thing which usually decides the outcome of the game is how much of the enemy do they gut before they go.

Ronin are amazing models. One of the best 6 SS models. And they gel so well with the Viks. I have been taking 3, but will probably lose one for Vanessa when she hits.

I did the Malifaux Child experiment and was underwhelmed. The Student of Conflict, after getting over the edition adjustment of how Sister in Spirits works, has proven to be, well, twice as good as the MC.

As for hints/tips.... I used to use Survivalist with Ashes all the time, but she's pretty easy to hit even with Df 6 (bump from Blood) so I find it's just a single AP to finish her. Instead, play to their strengths.... Oathkeeper for everyone! Fast on turn 2 or 3 usually gives you the jump on the opponent and allows you to kill some stuff. Then as they remaining enemy models concentrate on killing the Viks off, your Ronin go and wrap up your objectives neatly....

I could go on and on, but until I see the final rules (come on internetz!) and not the final week Open Beta (in which we saw some significant changes) I won't type too much. I want to make it stick!

• 2 weeks later...

Try a Hannah plus Malifaux Child. This lets Hannah cast Sisters in Fury or Battle and lets the Child cast the other. Saves AP for the Viks to do what they do best, kill stuff. I guess the list would look something like this...

Ash Vik w/Sisters in Fury (2), Sisters in Spirit (1)

Blood Vik w/ Mark of Shez'uul (2) and Scramble (2) or Tally Sheet (1)

Hannah - 10

Malifaux Child - 2

Total SS Cost - 19SS w Scramble or 18 SS with Tally Sheet

You can add in 3 Ronin for another 18 SS to bring your total to 36 (37) Which leaves room for Taelor, Ronin, or more upgrades. Don't forget that in M2E Outcasts get access to all of the faction so Freikorpman, Void Wretches, Aboms all can be brought with Vikis

Edited by rgarbonzo

There are two ways to go about it. Let your opponent see the set up and try and do something about it or send in a lone Vik to try and get a Whirlwind or two off and take out a group of models. If you plan to send in Blood Vik it's almost always a good idea to cast Sisters in Fury. The +2 Damage gives her damage track at an amazing 5/6/8, combined with Mark of Shez'uul this damage ignores Armor, Hard to Wound, Incorporeal and Hard to Kill. With 3 AP (Melee Expert if she is in LoS to Ash Vik) and :+fate on her attack flips she can hit pretty reliably for 15 damage. Not much will survive that. Don't forget that she can get :+fate flips on damage with her (0) Lonely Path Action. So you are looking at potentially 3 attacks at :+fate to attack and damage with Ml 7. This can result in a lot of dead models quickly. About the only thing she won't kill is possibly a SS user since they generally have a larger Wd pool and access to damage prevention by using SS.

The problem I have found is that they are a huge target the your opponent wants off the table as quickly as possible. If you only engage with one Vik at a time you can try and keep 4 or more cards in hand to let her have :+fate flips for Defense and Willpower.

If you go with Hannah and the Child first you are looking at Blood Vik with a damage track of 5/6/8/and :+fate :+fate to attack and Ash Vik at 5/6/8 with a :+fate to attack. Also Ash Vik becomes effectively paired at Sh 6 with 2/3/5 damage as well. If she is not within 6" of Blood Vik she can (0) action and become :+fate :+fate to her Pistol.

Edited by rgarbonzo

Outcasts have access to all of the faction so nothing cost more then what the faction cost is. They don't need the Merc trait to be brought in faction with Viks, Levi,Tara, or Von Schill.

There is no more "faction within a faction" for Outcasts they can select models from across the whole Outcast faction same as Neverborn, Guild, et al.

Edited by rgarbonzo

• 4 weeks later...

just played my first game with the new viks. i almost cried they are so different and feel so ........i don't know really. i feel i'm being punished for having played them in first ed, and i truly addored them. and now i feel like my love for them is gone.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

OMG i also have just knowtised that there are now magically 3 Masamune swords in Malifaux what is up with that? also the Masamune was brought to Malifaux because it was magical and it has no spanglly abilities again whats up with that?

The Vik swords were always Masamune, the real one and the doppelganger imitating them. Magic weapons have been eliminated across the board, which now makes incorporeal a stronger ability now that every other mercenary doesn't ignore it. I haven't noticed a big shift in how I play the Viks between the two editions. The moves are different but the style is the same.

The new Viks are an amazing crew now.

I played them a ton in 1.5 and it was always the same game. Launch Sword Vik into two or more enemy models, sometimes from halfway across the board. Gun Vik was strictly there to move Sword Vik around.

In M2e, Ashes is clearly the Master now, if only because of the extra AP and additional Upgrade slot (and access to Leader Upgrades).

But, in an overall design, their direct relationship with each other (Fates Entwined, (0) action Conditions) they are a much more "full" Master in the sense of options and abilities. I am ridiculously pleased with how the Viks run now.

I found a fun trick in my last game with them. I set up Sword Vik for the usual turn 1 nova charge (via Student of Conflict, Oath Keeper, Scramble, etc). Before I launched her, however, I had a Void Wretch bury Master Vik.

Then Sword Vik charged in, killed an enemy, which let Master Vik unbury right in the enemy ranks as well, and go ahead and take a full turn herself - and, notably, sets the two of them up for some solid use of their (2) AP Dragon manuevers. It was rather effective!

Now, focusing them on moving and attacking means less time for buffing, but a few options exist to help with that. Hannah is a good example - if Sword Vik is carrying one of the buff spells, Hannah can copy it off of her - and even benefit from it without being a Sister!