What do you prefer, metal or plastic?

Carasz

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer plastics, but wow, Wyrd's plastics are a totally PITA to assemble.

I was helping my buddy assemble the Vik's box set...just the fiddliest things ever!

I mean..I like customizability, but having hands, bows, heads, legs, weapons, etc.. all be individual teeny tiny pieces is a little overboard. Can't tell you the special hell dropping one of those pieces on the floor is.

Also, tiny tiny feet that don't give you much to work with when you try and put them on the base. And lining up the two parts of V/Blood's sword? Feh!

I'm not sure the planners for the M2E rules and and for the minis are in sync. Streamline the rules to make it easier for beginners, but make the models only suitable for experienced hobbyists? I'm not sure everybody was at the same meeting...

I'm not sure the planners for the M2E rules and and for the minis are in sync. Streamline the rules to make it easier for beginners, but make the models only suitable for experienced hobbyists? I'm not sure everybody was at the same meeting...

Ahahah, I geniunely laughed at this one :)

True, true :)

This is truly the only "problem" I see with the new plastics. They are great: good sculpts, dynamic poses, but they are not noob friendly. I know it's possible to mess up metal miniatures as well, but one or two large to medium pieces is a lot less intimidating than half a dozen micro pieces. I realize this is done to get better results with the molding process, and the results are impressive, but the sprues have been so intimidating to some of our group new to minis, that they just stay on the sprue. I eventually end up doing the assembly for them (whatever it takes to swell the ranks), or they buy metal and work their way up. I love the plastics, but am also greatful the metals are still available for the time being.

Edited by Fenton Crack
Spelling

it is a lot more difficult to get good results with medium effort with plastics(Things like drybrushing tend to be less impressive when you have more subtle sculpts) and I still miss the heft of metal. That being said, I like the plastic, just like metal a bit better(at least in part because I still feel like a noob with painting).

it is a lot more difficult to get good results with medium effort with plastics(Things like drybrushing tend to be less impressive when you have more subtle sculpts) and I still miss the heft of metal. That being said, I like the plastic, just like metal a bit better(at least in part because I still feel like a noob with painting).

Yeah the exaggerated detail on the metals is really helpful for first timers. The look in their eyes when you first show them a wash or dry brushing over their unsteady paint job that all of a sudden, although not going to win any Golden Demons, looks much much better, is great. It gives them the confidence to pick out details and keep moving forward. The subtlety in the detailing on the new plastics lets skilled painters maximize the realism, but leaves new painters with muddied and more featureless sometimes. I also like how easy it is to "hit the reset button" with metals by giving them a caustic bath.

This is truly the only "problem" I see with the new plastics. They are great: good sculpts, dynamic poses, but they are not noob friendly. I know it's possible to mess up metal miniatures as well, but one or two large to medium pieces is a lot less intimidating than half a dozen micro pieces. I realize this is done to get better results with the molding process, and the results are impressive, but the sprues have been so intimidating to some of our group new to minis, that they just stay on the sprue. I eventually end up doing the assembly for them (whatever it takes to swell the ranks), or they buy metal and work their way up. I love the plastics, but am also greatful the metals are still available for the time being.

That is why I find it amusing that people just assume that plastics are easier to put together than metals. Due to the flexibility of the molds used for metals vs the rigidity of plastic dies you can more easily make a model in one piece or a minimum of pieces in metal. Not saying there isn't some poorly designed pieces in metal, just stating that plastic=easy to assemble isn't always true. There are also, thanks to the flexibility of metal molds, textures that come out better in metal, fur and chainmail being typical examples.

That is why I find it amusing that people just assume that plastics are easier to put together than metals. Due to the flexibility of the molds used for metals vs the rigidity of plastic dies you can more easily make a model in one piece or a minimum of pieces in metal. Not saying there isn't some poorly designed pieces in metal, just stating that plastic=easy to assemble isn't always true. There are also, thanks to the flexibility of metal molds, textures that come out better in metal, fur and chainmail being typical examples.

No one is necessarily assuming it's easier without any knowledge - I've worked with a lot of metal, plastic and resin models over the years, and for clean up, prep and assembly, resin beats plastic beats metal for me. I find metals annoying to work on, and the detail improvement in some heavily sculpted areas like you mention, though nice, doesn't make up for the clean up and smoothing work often needed on metals. The large surfaces aren't as smooth due to the cooling process, and I prefer not to have to go over cloaks with fine sandpaper and a putty milk to get them that smooth.

That said, I have had some lovely metals. Which is why I say a well cast metal will beat a poorly cast plastic or resin. But an average metal cast is below average plastic and resin casts in my eyes, and always will be.

No one is necessarily assuming it's easier without any knowledge - I've worked with a lot of metal, plastic and resin models over the years, and for clean up, prep and assembly, resin beats plastic beats metal for me. I find metals annoying to work on, and the detail improvement in some heavily sculpted areas like you mention, though nice, doesn't make up for the clean up and smoothing work often needed on metals. The large surfaces aren't as smooth due to the cooling process, and I prefer not to have to go over cloaks with fine sandpaper and a putty milk to get them that smooth.

That said, I have had some lovely metals. Which is why I say a well cast metal will beat a poorly cast plastic or resin. But an average metal cast is below average plastic and resin casts in my eyes, and always will be.

I think we are on the same page. Over the years I have heard a few people just say that they think plastic is always easier. It really does depend on the model. A bad casting is also a bad casting regardless of the medium, and you shouldn't have to be using putty milks on anything to smooth them out, that is madness!

Unfortunately, metal casting is more of an art than plastics, and you do run into a few lazy casters/bad mold makers. Back when I used to make molds and cast figures my rule of thumb for any one that I worked with was "if you have any doubts about what you are about to pack, throw it back in the pot, no questions asked". It rarely came up.

Sorry, I get a little nostalgic for the good old days....

I'd agree fully there -resin and metal take a real eye for it to get good casts from. The experts have a real skill with it, and typically (like you mention) a much smaller tolerance of defects, or that speckled finish thing. There aren't enough of them to go around these days though!

Oh, and the metal Coryphee take my prize for most annoying cleanup ever - so detailed, so pretty, so hard to work out what's flash/mould lines and what's frills and laces!

Number one thing I will not miss about metals. Models with feet too tiny to pin, but don't need pins to go on a base well. Guild Hounds and one of the Rats are some of the worst offenders.

I'm actually finding this as much if not more of a problem with plastics. Oiran and Vanessa are causing as much issue as my guild hound when trying to attach to a metal scenic base. I've having to pin nearly all the plastic models, and they still come with slender legs

I'm actually finding this as much if not more of a problem with plastics. Oiran and Vanessa are causing as much issue as my guild hound when trying to attach to a metal scenic base. I've having to pin nearly all the plastic models, and they still come with slender legs

In this situation I actually leave some of the sprue attached to the models foot and then fashion it into a pin. It is not as strong as a metal pin but it increases the surface area to glue and avoids the possability of drilling a hole through a foot/leg.

I can see it as problem if you're using metal base inserts. All my bases are either done with putty or just flock so plastic glue has been working fine.