M2E Rasputina

Skyfire

Hey guys,

I'm new to this game and thinking of picking up the Children of December starter box for M2E. I'm planning to collect arcanists, starting with Rasputina as she's the first master available for the faction and one of the easier ones to start out, according to some ppl. Of all the box sets previewed at GenCon, so far, hers has the best artwork (that huge golem!). Also, fluff-wise, I like how the arcanists are portrayed as "a rag-tag collection of spellcasters and deviants," seeking to overthrow the government.

After reading through some posts on this forum, I found M2E guides for all arcanist masters but Rasputina. I would like to ask for guide and tips on how to run her team. Even better, an in-depth review of her crew in M2E would be awesome. Thank you.

She is easy.. Spam one spell, Kill everything

That might be a little over simplified. :)

Not really a 'Tina player, but ill give it a whirl. She's a ranged master, she excels at being the right distance from the enemy to engage them properly. As a result you need to look to keep her behind the lines and use her ability to bounce spells through her minions to attack the enemy. This will pay in to your objective handling as you'll need your minions to control objectives, as raspy won't be up there doing that herself.

For a 'review' of Rasputina's crew (and all the arcanists in the 1st wave of the beta) I'd suggest listening to this episode of Malifools, where they go trough each entry in the Arcanist beta 'deck' so you can get a rough idea on how Tina and her peers work:

http://malifools.podbean.com/2013/06/21/episode-49-toys-out-the-pram/

BTW, the actual Arcanist overview starts on the 102 minute mark; before that they have a v1.5 tournament report, which you might as well skip...

Keep in mind this episode is from a month and a half ago (it was toward the last third of the open beta period) so there have been some adjustments to various models, but in general Tina's crew didn't change much (just some tweaks to her upgrades I think) so it should still be relevant information.

Hope that helps:)

Edited by Baffo

Malifools is great in general if you're just getting into the game, you can learn a lot from listening to people who've been playing for a while.

One of the players in my local group loves Rasputina, and plays her nearly exclusively. From many games against her, I can tell you the following tips will give you a fairly good starting point.

1. Make sure you don't expose Rasputina to the enemy unless you have no other choice. She's got Ice Mirror for a reason, and can bounce her spells off her minions with ease.

2. Know when to do damage with her spells and when to aim for the paralyze. Can the damage take the model out next turn, or inhibit it from being truly effective? Damage is great. Can you bounce a lot of the blast AoE onto other targets? Damage is cool. If you just need to get that enemy model out of the way for a turn? Paralyze is the way to go.

3. Don't get too trapped in the "I'm Rasputina, I have to bunker down and not advance, I sit here and shoot instead" mindset. It's really quite easy to fall into that trap and find yourself lacking board control and ability to interact with schemes later in the game. Plan ahead.

• Like 1

Rasputina is very much the work-horse of the crew. The rest of the crew is mainly designed to be in the right position to block / hold-up the enemy to allow 'Tina to do her job. Learn how to freely sacrifice your own models to accomplish this.....especially the Gamin. Throwing spells into combat when you need to is very common....when you randomize, it you hit the enemy great...if not, better.....cheat down the defense to get off big damage and blasts to still hurt the enemy. A gamin can take a couple of these and then explode when they die...doing even more damage.

Yeah, Armor of December will be extremely useful against fast moving or trick-move crews. I was once able to keep Tina engaged for 4 of 5 turns with a speedy Marcus crew because she didn't have it. Being able to Push out and rain down death would have been invaluable.

• Like 1

It's sort of a playstyle and meta preference. On one hand is Raspy's Shattered Heart where you are basically trying to play her like a Nova that will blast and blast, and hopefully do enough dmg, and stay up long enough that even if they do manage to kill her, the damage she has hopefully put out before they kill her will win the day. Or playing with the Armor which plays for a little more slow game, still blasting, but not with quite the fury of Shattered Heart, but having a little more DF and a little more ability to move.

I've seen both builds work fairly effectively.

Ok so I thought I would add my bit in here as I am primarily a Raspy player. So far with M2E I have found myself categorizing my list into 3 different play styles. The first involves taking the Shattered Mirror upgrade along with plenty of Frozen Heart Minions and the Essence of Power. This build basically revolves around Ice Mirroring her spells and trying to do as much damage as possible. The second build is based around the Paralyse and Slow conditions. I will generally take Armor of December along with 1 or 2 December's Acolytes, Wendigo and pretty much try to dish out slow and Paralyse as much as possible to try and prevent the opponent from completing objectives. With this build I will get Raspy up into the thick of it as the Armor of December upgrade gives me the ability to push out of melee if I take a hit (so long as the opposing model doesn't have a 3” ml range). The third build is an elite group which would generally be Wendigo, Ice Golem, Joss and a Metal Gamin. I would take this list when you are doing something like Turf War and you need to able to take a good beating while dishing out some big damage. Once again I would give Raspy Armor of December and basically you just use her to buff the other models with December's Touch and have the Metal Gamin give the Golem Df6. This way you end up with Joss and Golem both with Df6 and Armor 4 which makes them very hard to make a dent on. All of this depends on whether you can win initiative of course. I would also give Joss the Imbued Energies upgrade as you can discard it to walk and then use the remaining 2 AP to do a Pneumatic Fist attack and hopefully pull off the Paralyse trigger with a Crow. The other upgrades/minions I use depend on the strategy and schemes but anything with scheme markers always means I will take a couple of Molemen. These little guys are great for dropping markers and are very survivable.

One thing I will say is don’t be afraid to get Raspy out there. In 1.5 her place was generally at the back of the board behind cover but there is a lot more to her now and she is really fun to play.

I think my biggest problem with 2.0 Rasputina is that I really want that new Ice Golem sculpt, but I don't want to rebuy the whole box set just for that.

I know, right? The ice golem is awesome. It and Miss spider-girl are the reason why I want to start out with arcanists in M2E. The other box arts are just meh, and the special edition tentacle beast is too weird for my taste.

Now for Rasputina box, the ice gamins are cute and Kommander Rasputina is obviously a Sorscha ripoff, which is fine by me. They need to add an upgrade called Icepick of December that turns her into a melee monster!

I think my biggest problem with 2.0 Rasputina is that I really want that new Ice Golem sculpt, but I don't want to rebuy the whole box set just for that.

I'm sure you can find someone to buy the models you don't want off of you. I'd like to get the new Raspy sculpt but really didn't want to buy the whole set to get her. PM me and we can negotiate..... .

I already own all the frozen heart models and some in multiples and my main priority for Gencon is getting the Raspy box. I love the Ice Golem sculpt and is it just me or does he look like a really bad ass Doomsday?

I already own all the frozen heart models and some in multiples and my main priority for Gencon is getting the Raspy box. I love the Ice Golem sculpt and is it just me or does he look like a really bad ass Doomsday?

Me too, I totally love the new Golem. The Wendigo is also incredibly bad-ass. I'm indifferent on the Gamin.....I don't like either version more than the other. It's only Raspy that I wouldn't care about....I don't think she's bad, just prefer the original.

So this is what I'm planning for a nuking Rasputina list at 40SS:

Rasputina - cache 3 (Shatter Heart -3, Sub Zero -1)

Ice Golem (-10) (Imbued Protection -2)

3x Ice Gamins (-12)

December Acolyte (-7)

Essence of Power (-3)

5SS left

Good enough? Anything I'm missing?