Tara crew

caen

Anti WP crews also don't fear Tara as much.

Another reason why I want to get this Crew on the table so badly; I want to feel the difference between Tara having to play with a >3 card hand against regular Crews and with a more regular hand against the likes of Pandora. Assuming your opponent has at least a couple of Crews and the game follows the recommended pregame sequence, this will be a gameplay shift on the board itself rather than while picking a Crew.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished a 50ss game against Lady Justice. I took Tara's crew, plus three Death Marshals. Strategy was Squatter's Rights.

I didn't try anything too tricky in the start, but sent Tara off to outflank some models while the void wretches ran for the corners to tag squatter markers. The rest of the crew went right into the middle.

It was a fun game, and I thought that I was on the losing end for the first half of the game. Then the Nothing Beast escaped the coffin an enemy Death Marshal had tossed him into and just went to town, Obliterating models left and right.

At one point, Tara used Eternal Journey to teleport back to her deployment zone at the top of the turn, right after Lady J had run up to hack at Karina and a Death Marshal. Lady J ended up stuck in one of my Dead Marshal's coffins for most of the game, while Karine layered on the burning on slow and Tara hit people with her greatsword.

Tara's quite fun with lots of little tricks, and being able to reactivate at the end of the turn is quite awesome. They're pretty fragile, but the Death Marshals bring some much-needed resistance to the list. I'm looking forward to playing around with some other Resser models as well; Flesh Constructs could be quite fun, I think.

All in all, a very thumbs up for the Herald of Obliteration crew.

I had a few takeaways as an observer.

First of all Tara should bring some kind of a heavy hitter that doesn't target wp. Having your big bad scary monster swing against even or worse odds because of a few buffs can really cut down on your offense. Watching NB flail at the Judge on account of stubborn and the scales off to the left sort of drove that point home. Beast is a beast, oddly enough, but he shouldn't be trying to get the job done alone.

Echoes of the Void would've come in handy. In order to function optimally Tara needs to own the penalty box. She's got to be the one who can say what happens in it, who goes into it, and who gets to come out of it. If the opponent can just camp someone in their that's going to seriously hinder her options. Wretches can mitigate this somewhat by chewing on whatever is in there but Echoes lets her pretty much dictate terms. At one point the beast was boxed and Tara was all on her lonesome next to a flank full of relatively soft targets. I know hindsight 20/20 and grabbing LadyJ's sword is nifty as all get out but Echoes could've changed the dynamic of the game in a way that Journey didn't seem to.

Karina doesn't do all that much. Offensively she damages and debuffs models you've already taken out of the game which is kind of the definition of a win-more ability. I can't helping she'd be better off being replaced by a child. Kid streamlines the initial catapult by another walk and along with echoes can act as a relay for Tara. One of them Pulls someone in and the other Faces them back out on the other side of the board. he can be used offensively to chuck another beat stick at the opponent but he can also be used as a kind of ripcord if you put him in the initial catapult package. After the big ugly does its thing he drops out and glimpses the threat to safety. I don't relay think I'd have any second thoughts about burning a two point kid to preserve the beast or Taelor.

Giant multilimbed murder monsters rampaging across half the table and then turning into little kids. Something oddly familiar about that...

Well, can't put my finger on it now. He's also yet another source of healing in the crew to supplement what the wretches can't patch up in the penalty box/launch bay.

I would much rather have Karina over a Child. I disagree that she didn't do much; most of the time, I had two or three things I wanted to do with her, and a couple turns I was holding onto high crows for awhile just in case someone got up close to her. I like that she doesn't have to be near the fighting to still contribute, and her peacebringer is a pretty decent attack for a 5 point model. Sure, lots of the models resisted the burning flames, but much like Horror tests, if they're cheating those flips, that's still eating cards from their hand at little cost to you.

Regarding upgrades, Journey allowed Tara to snap back to the deployment zone and counter a Lady Justice that was, in all likelihood, going to murder half my crew next turn. Personally, I think it was a very useful trick, and I'll likely take it again in future games.

But, it seems clear that there are a number of different ways to play Tara's crew, which is definitely a good thing. :)

Yeah, but you gotta keep in mind she didn't counter lady J. She got there, scratched her with two lights and flubbed a cast. The marshal that boxed lady contained her before she got out of hand. She drained two stones and I think a control card which is always useful but she didn't do the deed.

Yeah, but you gotta keep in mind she didn't counter lady J. She got there, scratched her with two lights and flubbed a cast. The marshal that boxed lady contained her before she got out of hand. She drained two stones and I think a control card which is always useful but she didn't do the deed.

...and the wounds that Tara and Karina managed to put on her ended up in Lady J dying at the buzzer and scoring me the two Victory Points I needed to win the game. So in my book, the wounds that Tara dropped on her ended up being rather integral to my victory. I'm not going to look at flipping a black joker as somehow being a flaw of the model that flipped it.

In any case, I don't want to derail this thread with details of a battle which I only described here in very basic strokes. Clearly we're approaching her from different directions, and I think it's cool that such a thing is possible.

I never dumped my hand while playing her, but I was definitely cheating away low cards on already losing duels to get them out of my hand. Defensive Stance becomes a much more attractive option as well, as the discard requirement becomes less of a penalty and more of a bonus.

I think I'm more excited about Tara than I hqve been about any new release.

She's such an interesting Master on paper, with a plethora of unique tricks.

I'm thinking something like:

Tara, Karina, Bishop, Nothing Beast, Death Marshal, and 2 Wretches. With upgrades gallore. :) can't wait for the 15th.

I don't have enough outcasts or resurrectionists or guild marshals. Doh! I hope that Yan Lo's box has some synergy, cause those are the only other ressurs I have.

So, I will be running her as an outcast for the time being. The only models I can include with her will be Taelor, the Convict Gunslinger, and the Student of Conflict. Giving fast to Taelor and teleporting her will be fun. She will also be a good counter to those pesky high WP enemy models.

Honestly, I'm considering picking up another Tara and the Viks. Give me Taelor and a couple of Ronin, and I'd have a Tara to sell when the price inevitably rises(because limited + noone gets the regular model till 2014) as well as one to play with. I really shouldn't, but I can't help but feel that it would make my gaming life more interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone wanna talk tact? I am wondering if anyone has made use of Temporal Shift alongside Pull the Void (on Knowledge of Eternity), giving an opponent's model (and most of one's own models) Fast, and then taking it away soon thereafter with Pull, thus stripping away a downside (and perhaps doing more than that!) for 2AP.

Has this been a viable strategy for getting things done with Tara, for anyone? :D

~Lil Kalki

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone wanna talk tact? I am wondering if anyone has made use of Temporal Shift alongside Pull the Void (on Knowledge of Eternity), giving an opponent's model (and most of one's own models) Fast, and then taking it away soon thereafter with Pull, thus stripping away a downside (and perhaps doing more than that!) for 2AP.

Has this been a viable strategy for getting things done with Tara, for anyone? :D

~Lil Kalki

First turn I used pull the void on Bishop and launched him forward at reactivation then used him to walk forward 2ap and flurry on a waldergeist ignoring armor. around turn 3 I used Tara's Temporal shift to give a Mature Nephilim fast along with some of her crew. next since he was now under the affects of the "Dead of winter's" price of haste -2 wp. I then used "Pull the void" with a high card and trapped the MN. with the use of Eternal moment, her reactivation I launched the fast and burning MN with echoes of the void back at its master Lilith flying over the illusionary forest, managed to swing once and hit with positive flip that the MN gets. The MN was then no longer fast it activated under my control. next turn after all his cards were used up I picked off Lillith with Hans only hoping to slow her I flipped two severe and no stones to save her. second shot I neutered the MN so he could not do melee atks. I still lost the game due to strategies. But it was a heck of a first game using Tara.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

2 questions.

1st If the Nothing beast armed with the "Voiceless words" upg, buried with Glimpse the void trigger. was placed in base contact with a voiding wretch that got killed but before it was removed. Would the "into the void" from "voiceless words" upg come into affect since the void wretch would now be in LoS?

2nd question. Could Tara (activating first) use "Eternal moment" then on her reactivate use "Eternal journey"? she was first to activate after all.

My worry with this crew is the OPness sneaking back into the game just when it looked like all the 1.5 tricks got fixed.

I've played about a dozen games with Tara, and I really don't get the impression that she's OP. My games with her have generally been pretty close, save for the couple of times when I've screwed up with her and just seen her crew evaporate on me. She feels about on the same power level as the other masters.

• 2 weeks later...

How is she OP? The only thing I see is that you can make things fast and unbury them and have them activate. Yeah thats pretty nasty but it can leave you massively over extended and very vulnerable. And also the fact that you can strip AP from things by making them slow.

As for the bury trigger its a WP13 resist and can only be used if there is nothing else buried, so in my mind its not as powerful as being Terrifying 13.

Her stats / damage are nothing special for a master

If anything I think she's under-powered. If you lose initiative it's bye-bye your 10 soul stone Nothing Beast. I really struggled (and lost) against Lynch in the only game I've played with her, and I am by far the best Malifaux player in our group. Huggy being terrifying all meant basically Tara was the only one who could touch him, because I couldn't afford to waste the few cards in my hand to prevent my models being paralysed.

Having a hand of 3 or rubbish defence is a MASSIVE handicap. And even to do anything really good with her requires multiple steps and flips. Her saving grace is the void wretches which are pretty awesome. Oh and forget about spending the first few turns shaping your hand for that decisive turn 3/4 assault - you'll just be on the receiving end of it.

To perform well you need to win initiative and dump half your hand. Even then you're not exactly amazing, as others have said average stats and lots of flips to do anything. I dread to think how she would perform against a Seamus crew. You couldn't cheat your terrifying tests because you have no cards, and he has three models with decapitate. The crew would either be paralysed or dead.

My opinion so far, admittedly theoryfauxing with only a couple of games, is that the strengths of the Tara crew don't make up for the big weaknesses. Especially compared to straight up amazing crews which have no weaknesses. Yes Tara has some nasty tricks, but she's also severely handicapped in other areas.

Edited by Manic Mouse