So...Tara

Mehter

The artwork used is the Nightmare artwork because the normal version of this crew is so far down the release schedule that we don't actually even have artwork started for that crew yet. I would be very surprised if the non-nightmare version is available before Gen Con next year (may not see her standard box until 2015 with everything else that needs to be released before her)

I stand happily corrected regarding the artwork. I guess it's more a case of Nightmare LCB than the Dead Justice box. A year without having to proxy is worth the $80 investment alone I guess. I wonder if this will increase the demand for the Dead Justice box for the Undead Death Marshals to use with her.

Am I correct in noticing that neither the Void Wretches nor Cthulhu (sorry, The Nothing Beast) have a characteristic such as Living, Undead or Construct.

Would this mean that they simply do not drop a token of any sort on death?

Really looking forward to seeing what this crew can do, I have a feeling that Tara is going to be right up there with the most powerful Masters.

Am I correct in noticing that neither the Void Wretches nor Cthulhu (sorry, The Nothing Beast) have a characteristic such as Living, Undead or Construct.

Would this mean that they simply do not drop a token of any sort on death?

Really looking forward to seeing what this crew can do, I have a feeling that Tara is going to be right up there with the most powerful Masters.

Yup - these things are... well... nothing. They're not alive, but they're not undead. They're not constructs. They're... nothing. Kinda cool, thematically.

Was thinking that on my way to work today.

For once, we're in agreement.

Really?!

Sure, we're getting the chance to buy a Nightmare Edition of her crew now, but only for a limited time, while supplies last. I would think that a new crew, like Tara, Brewmaster, or Ulix, would be a much higher priority for a standard release than new sculpts for old models that we can just buy Arsenal packs for in the meantime.

This makes no freaking sense at all. They have what appears to be standard artwork for the Tara crew for 2.0. It doesn't look out of the ordinary. They have the models' rules and upgrades and art in the rulebook.

But now this is the Nightmare version?

Why would you develop all this and then claim it's not the "real" crew? And that the real crew, which everyone wants, is going to take a backseat on the release schedule behind a wall of re-sculpts for maybe two years? How can it be claimed that Tara still needs concept art, when the current art clearly shows the concept?

I'll go ahead and answer my own question... $80 box feeding frenzy.

What a horrible, inept decision. It smacks of a desperate money grab.

This makes no freaking sense at all. They have what appears to be standard artwork for the Tara crew for 2.0. It doesn't look out of the ordinary. They have the models' rules and upgrades and art in the rulebook.

But now this is the Nightmare version?

Why would you develop all this and then claim it's not the "real" crew? And that the real crew, which everyone wants, is going to take a backseat on the release schedule behind a wall of re-sculpts for maybe two years? How can it be claimed that Tara still needs concept art, when the current art clearly shows the concept?

I'll go ahead and answer my own question... $80 box feeding frenzy.

What a horrible, inept decision. It smacks of a desperate money grab.

You make some really good points that made me sit back and think. Perhaps The Nothing Beast is extra ginormous. Won't know until we see it I guess.

She's pretty heavily Outcast, which makes sense.

However, I'm trying to think up a Resser list to run tonight as it's the normal Malifaux day. I think just the usual suspects of Belles/Punks. I'm thinking if you want to run a Henchman, only Sybelle really makes sense. Morti's Fresh Meat doesn't work with anyone but Tara (Which could be useful in some cases), but I think Sybelle and a couple belles to go along with the Nothing Beast/Wretchs would work fairly well for a base list.

Having two or three belles pull something across the table for Tara's Temporal Shift on Turn 1 could be pretty useful as well.

It's going to be very easy to play her aggressively. Ramming a fast nothing beast into the opponent could be interesting. Assuming there's a soft charge target in range for Tara she can drop him 20+ inches up field. If she wants to guarantee deployment with Faces in the Void this goes down to 16 or so. Given that the beast himself will be able to cover 15'' and still out put three attacks you can potentially put him anywhere you want by the end of turn one.

edit: She should have a field day against most spam lists like Levi or Some'r. She has the necessary mobility to apply pressure to the vulnerable parts of the machine. Additionally sympathy is just going to be brutal against lists that rely on a large number of the same fragile model. Even Karina's ability to deny the opponent resources should be painful.

Edited by hypoking

I've already downloaded her rules, they're mine now! They can't stop me from using proxies! She won't be tournament legal until her actual release anyway.

I'm not going to build a crew for her yet since we don't actually have the final rules for all the models yet. But it seems like you can do some shenanigans with Obliteration Symbiote and Eternal Journey if you Pine Box the Nothing Beast. Hannah could also be useful since there's actually a few Ca actions she can copy, and she has a ranged cover ignoring bury ability with her upgrade.

Out of curiosity, what's with the last clause on Pull the Void? It's too specific to be anything but a deliberate cuddle but I can't tell what it's supposed to be stopping.

Also, am I write in assuming the no leader's clause on Echoes of the Void was an afterthought? If so how awesome was it when she could work Levi like a sockpuppet?

I had a similar thought that perhaps there's not going to be a ton of difference between the crews in either faction, but I'll admit to not having done a ton of playtesting with or against ressers and Outcasts. Of course, the differences may become more apparent after we get everything from wave 2.

She's pretty heavily Outcast, which makes sense.

However, I'm trying to think up a Resser list to run tonight as it's the normal Malifaux day. I think just the usual suspects of Belles/Punks. I'm thinking if you want to run a Henchman, only Sybelle really makes sense. Morti's Fresh Meat doesn't work with anyone but Tara (Which could be useful in some cases), but I think Sybelle and a couple belles to go along with the Nothing Beast/Wretchs would work fairly well for a base list.

Having two or three belles pull something across the table for Tara's Temporal Shift on Turn 1 could be pretty useful as well.

I think the Hanged may be good with her if you want to try and emulate a Seamus terror list, but with Fast/Slow/Bury instead of lure/lure/pounce.

As far as Outcasts, I have no idea. Hanna would be decent, as would Ronin. I'm not really fluent in list building with them, though.

I played in a game against the Viks using KillJoy, and if I hadn't had a Nurse get overlooked, Killjoy would have Destroyed 3 Belles by Turn 2. As it was I had to keep my Nurse Dancing out of LoS of Hans the whole game to help control him, or he wold have absolutely gutted my crew. I have very healthy respect for what KillJoy can do now.

Killjoy is very nice with Tara and deserves a healthy amount of respect. Activation order is very important with Tara especially if you want to get your bury triggers (HINT: do those before pine boxing with Death Marshalls), a buried Killjoy. If you have taken Eternal Jorney as an upgrade you can have Tara being quite decent in melee and potentially healing herself as well plus should she bit ethe dust you have an instant popping out Killjoy.

Its a crew that thrives on applying pressure, and you start looking at your control hand very diffferently.