So...Tara

Mehter

I'm still digesting this but my initial reaction is positive.

-The crew makes better use of the buried mechanic than any other I can think of. Old crews have used this as a king of hidey-hole/launching bay, Tara and pals attack it, heal it, buff and debuff it. Bringing interactivity to a section of the game that is fundamentally out of reach is nifty. Crew also seems to have a wide range of abilities to shove people into the penalty box. The nifty new Glimpse the Void trigger shows up four times and the crew really stands to get some mileage out of Pine Box on some re-purposed dead justice marshals. Eating Chompy or Bete before they show up is going to be hilarious.

-Slow as a debuff is a pretty cool concept. Not so much of it actually going around in Mk2 as in 1.5 but still the concept is intriguing. Plays into the overall theme of throwing something ostensibly good, like a lemon meringue pie, and shoving it in the opponent's face, again, kind of like a pie.

-Tara seems like she can generate a lot of interesting moments. I want to see what could happen if she goes first, dumps her hand to buff everything on the board, and then either buries herself or has a pal do it for her. I also want to see what happens when her crew starts turning model's into pocket killjoys and dropping them in the middle of the opponent's forces.

-Tara personally seems like a beast. She's relatively resilient against magic. She's largely imune to range as long as she's got stones or masks to burn and she's not using masks anywhere else. She is squishy up-close but nobody's perfect. Resilience wise its worth noting that most of the time she should also just be able to remove herself from the table. Unless it's a mirror they're not going to be able to do much to hurt her when she's not there. Reactivation is sweet on a high value model like a master. She's not exactly a beat stick but averaging out six to seven ap a turn is going to mean she should be able to put a hurting on most targets.

-Nothing Beast's offense seems great. I'm not sure about his survivability. If you can sump your hand he's going to be a pain in the ass to deal with but if you can't those seven wounds aren't going to last that long even with incorporeal. I have similar thoughts on the Wretches but at only four points it's not so much up in the air with the little guys. Plus they're adorable. Adorable goes a long way with me.

I think Tara will be a blast to play and figure out. I can't imagine her having a set "Crew" in either Outcast or Resser. Killjoy will be great with her, but so will Bette Noir. It'll take 10 losses to figure out how to use her abilities, I think. I might try her out tomorrow.

Wretches remind me a lot of the tiny beasts that Legion has in Hordes. I think they'll be fun to paint.

I think Fast as a debuff is a far more interesting mechanic myself!

See, there's so much dissonance there I can't even wrap my head around it.

I don't think she's actually going to want to use a lot of per-buried models as they do kinda hamper her using Funny glimpse tricks.

Edit: On second thought the idea of her mega-manning killjoy's cleaver and then dropping and chain activating the big lug may be worth trying.

Edited by hypoking

I know this may be a stupid question, but if the stat cards' pictures (and the page from M2E) are also the pic shown as the art for the nightmare crew, is the Nightmare Tara crew actually going to look different and the pics we have been seeing simply just the "normal" Tara crew?

If so, hopefully the art or pics of sculpts of the Nightmare crew will be online prior to having to lay down the 80 bucks to buy the Nightmare box for those of us not attending.

Although even if not, I am sure an attendee will snap a picture via cell phone GenCon day one of what they actually look like.

The art work for chompy in the 2nd book is the nightmare version and not the regular one. The image you are seeing is the nightmare one. They have not released what the regular one looks like.

I am not so sure it is the Nightmare version, as if the page from Wyrd Chronicles 7 really is a page from the M2E book, that is the image we have been seeing and I would think that is the "normal" version in the rulebook (LCB history aside where I thought the shrunk him from the concept art as $ decision only).

I thought we were seeing the Nightmare version in that the difference might be the hole in her chest, etc., but seeing how her Defense trigger directly relates to the chest hole, I am guessing even the vanilla version has the hole.

I am not protesting the $80.00 pricetag itself, only that I hope we get confirmation of what we are buying before we plunk down the money.

I like the concept art and will buy if that what the GenCon box is.

The artwork used is the Nightmare artwork because the normal version of this crew is so far down the release schedule that we don't actually even have artwork started for that crew yet. I would be very surprised if the non-nightmare version is available before Gen Con next year (may not see her standard box until 2015 with everything else that needs to be released before her)

Impressions...

Tara: some real time/temporal monkey-business here.

Karina: Bash returns! And now it is much more deadly! Interesting to have one Nightmare set interact with a previous one (Dead Justice undead marshals), but you have to have a death happen within 4" while you are holding the RJ...not going to happen too often.

Various WP reducers and many attacks that have WP resists.

Some tricky anti-Dreamer stuff...a lot to chew on.

The artwork used is the Nightmare artwork because the normal version of this crew is so far down the release schedule that we don't actually even have artwork started for that crew yet. I would be very surprised if the non-nightmare version is available before Gen Con next year (may not see her standard box until 2015 with everything else that needs to be released before her)

I will be unable to wait that long.

Take my money Sir!

It costs more to do a limited run I plastic than metal.

The price is not what bothers me, it's that we don't know how different this is from the vanilla version.

Plus my reluctance to by another NE model after the hanging tree incident.

Was thinking that on my way to work today.

For once, we're in agreement.

Really?!

Sure, we're getting the chance to buy a Nightmare Edition of her crew now, but only for a limited time, while supplies last. I would think that a new crew, like Tara, Brewmaster, or Ulix, would be a much higher priority for a standard release than new sculpts for old models that we can just buy Arsenal packs for in the meantime.

Really?

I mean, Brewmaster and Tara should be top priority simply because they have no physical representation in the game whatsoever and having to get the nightmare to not have to proxy her for a couple of years seems pretty extreme to me.

The crew itself sounds very interesting. Just hope burying people and screwing with the opponent's buried stuff doesn't become too annoying for the opponent. Also makes me wonder how Chompy will work since it could go south quick for him if he works similar to before.

Edited by Razhem

Looking at Tara's cards you can sense the depth and potential ven if you can't follow where they will lead. Anyone saying that M2E got dumbed down might need to rethink their position. :)

I'm slightly worried to be honest. With the other masters, it felt like Wyrd was aiming for a more streamlined approach with less focus on "unique mechanics", and Tara definately feels like she's all about the strange mechanics. She looks fun, but feels a lot like a M1E master to me.

I'm slightly worried to be honest. With the other masters, it felt like Wyrd was aiming for a more streamlined approach with less focus on "unique mechanics", and Tara definately feels like she's all about the strange mechanics. She looks fun, but feels a lot like a M1E master to me.

I know what you mean, but if you look at the "unique playstyle" masters from V1, we have really only seen Leveticus and Pandora. Leveticus is still being worked on (he played quite differently in the beta but there were several different things they tried), and pandora has kept her wp attacking thing, but its been brough a little more in line with the rest. As such I think Tara bodes well for some of the more complex book 2 masters that people seemed woried about.

She's definately a M2E master, look how she repurposes Fast/Slow and Bury. McMourning does that to poison, Mei Feng and Sonnia to burning. What she does though is so intergral in ho wher crew works though and you can forgo the bury stuff to focus on fast/slow and vice versa. She does have a bit of learning curve