Building Review

Cenotaph

4Ground do a whole range of pre-coloured MDF buildings, I would recommend checking them out.

Here is an image with a Malifaux figure for scale. Just remember that the building is 28mm and Malifaux is 38mm scale, also this figure is on a 5mm thick base. Without the base the figure is just shorter than the door which is not unrealistic for 1890 period buildings. In play it doesn't look to small.

post-2639-13911930451813_thumb.jpg

I think unifying the scale of minis and terrain can be helped by basing the building with some 1/4" MDF or whatnot.

I first noticed this when playing WWII war games where it is always customary to base the minis, but not always customary to base the vehicles and buildings, which made all the figures look a little too big.

This particular building is a little smaller at 28mm, when much of the Malifaux minis are "heroic" in proportion and are probably closer to 1/48 scale than true 28mm, so it may look a bit small based or not.

I was merely pointing out the fact that even if buildings are perfectly scaled with a corresponding miniature can look "off" (especially when in front of the doors) because the mini is "on stilts" and appears to have insufficient headroom if the building is not likewise based.

Basing the building will help, but it will not make it look 100%, since the scales are truly different, but I think they are close enough to be used too good effect.

4Ground do sell a boardwalk base for that kit which would raise it the desired amount. Most of the other Wild West kits they do actually come with the boardwalk base, just so happens that one doesn't.

As to Malifaux miniatures being Heroic, the one I used in the picture is 37mm high, not counting the base, so it's closer to Heroic on steroids. At that scale finding any scenery that's not specifically designed for Malifaux that comes close to scale will be tough.