december acolyte painted

nagash13

thank you for the compliment.

the remark was meant to be more of a "what have i learned from painting the first 2, that i can apply when i paint the third one of these."

generally when painting models i start with the most recessed or "lowest" surface, and work my way out. Normally this works great as it allows you to be a bit sloppy on edges to "higher" surfaces because you are just going to come back in later and recover it with new paint. It can be harder to try and come in later and paint lower surfaces especially if there is any overhangs your brush might bump into.

on this model however, if i drybrush the fur first, it allows me to really go to town with it and not worry about overbrushing onto painted areas.

the model immediately made me think of christmas hence the green and red variants. does anyone have any suggestions for the third models coat color?

the bases are games workshop 25mm round bases(i have tons lying around) with coffee stirring sticks glued on. i just glued them to the bases with superglue, and cut a few with wire cutters so i could have some butt ends in the floor. once the glue was dry i used an exacto to slowly whittle away the extra wood hanging over the base edge. once that was all done, i coated it with a minwax polyurethane wood varnish. i used satin finish antique walnut for color.

the bases are games workshop 25mm round bases(i have tons lying around) with coffee stirring sticks glued on. i just glued them to the bases with superglue, and cut a few with wire cutters so i could have some butt ends in the floor. once the glue was dry i used an exacto to slowly whittle away the extra wood hanging over the base edge. once that was all done, i coated it with a minwax polyurethane wood varnish. i used satin finish antique walnut for color.

Ooooh I'm going to have to give this a go! They look so amazingly effective I'd love to have these on my little puppets.

Can't wait to see your entire set when they're done. They're going to look so impressive!!

Btw, for those who don't have proper floor varnish around. A brown ink will do a similarly good job of staining the wood. I haven't tried with a brown wash, but it would probably do as well.

Obviously you need to do a standard varnish after that.

Btw, for those who don't have proper floor varnish around. A brown ink will do a similarly good job of staining the wood. I haven't tried with a brown wash, but it would probably do as well.

Obviously you need to do a standard varnish after that.

May I ask quickly, without derailing the thread - what is the difference between an Ink and a Wash? They appear very similar?

Also - more puppet photos needed!! *grin*

The pigment in an ink is water soluble. The pigment in a paint or wash isn't, it's just really finely ground coloured sand.

Inks are less forgiving, and usually very opaque, you have to dilute them a lot, but since they're water soluble, you can dilute them as much as you like without any ill effects. In this cases, inks are good at seeping into wood grain and staining it. A wash will do it, but not as well.

The pigment in an ink is water soluble. The pigment in a paint or wash isn't, it's just really finely ground coloured sand.

Inks are less forgiving, and usually very opaque, you have to dilute them a lot, but since they're water soluble, you can dilute them as much as you like without any ill effects. In this cases, inks are good at seeping into wood grain and staining it. A wash will do it, but not as well.

great explanation. thanks for jumping in on that when i wasnt paying much attention. I have a houseguest for the next 2 weeks, so i cant promise another puppet too soon, but he is a gamer as well, so i might be able to finish a second deathmarshall puppet. the first one i painted is posted in the painting section of the forum under the post "nagash paints things and takes pics" for teh second death marshall, i think I will go closer to the card artwork of aged leather hat and cloak with black pants. since brown is a warm color, i'll probably do gold badge and hat trim. i used silver on the first guy because the grey highlights on the black coat are a cool color and silver is as well.

is it better to keep painted pics of puppets here, or only in the painting area?