Lilith M2E

caen

There's no master in M2e that is 'complete' without their upgrades. Think of the master without upgrades as the beginners free trial version of an application, a lot of the cool features are disabled unless you pay for them.

If you want a full master you need to upgrade.

I disagree vehemently mythicfox. Masters are complete transmission with no upgrades or any combination of upgrades that is legal for them. They are masters they are playable and they are in each configuration strongo and viable. I know can make my master lay different. Masters are no longer static things. They are dynamic they are build able to the situation.. Sometimes the right answer is base master no upgrades.

It might be possible to run a master without upgrades, but in my experience it's most unwise. I've never said to myself after a game: "Boy that upgrade sure was a waste, I wish I would've taken a base master". In my games, most of the gamewinning abilities from my masters have come from the upgrades that I've taken, although the base abilities often compliments those rather well.

But whatever works for you. This is part of what makes 2.0 so great, it's really tailormade for the players taste ;)

Honestly, I feel that some masters need upgrades, and some need certain upgrades, just to function. other masters are almost better off not taking any upgrades.

There are both in the game as it stood at the end of the public beta. Personally, I feel like upgrades are probably going to see the greatest amount of errata in the first year, and the first wave of models after gencon2014 are probably going to see the biggest change in how upgrades are designed. They are a new design space, and they don't really feel balanced at the moment.

Either they are too good, just right, or not good enough to justify not spending stones on models. I've seen a couple of situations in which they are taken just to keep from losing stones, and there have been a couple of times that I have regretted taking half the upgrades I took. On the other hand, there have been times that I absolutely felt justified taking 10+ SS worth of upgrades.

This would be fine, as it sounds like a good balance point--thing is, it's generally a different master I have the (these were no good) reaction with than(these are worth every SS, and I would have spent more!) reaction. i.e. with one master, I always get my use out of upgrades, and with master B I almost never get them. THis implies that they need a bit more work and balancing than where they are now. It'll get there, but I am not convinced it's at that sweet spot just at the moment.

Honestly, I feel that some masters need upgrades, and some need certain upgrades, just to function. other masters are almost better off not taking any upgrades.

So true ...

Lilith is IMO in the first category: She needs upgrades .. badly

There's no master in M2e that is 'complete' without their upgrades. Think of the master without upgrades as the beginners free trial version of an application, a lot of the cool features are disabled unless you pay for them.

If you want a full master you need to upgrade.

But the extent to which that is true definitely changes from one Master to the next. If you look at Zoraida, most of her core abilities (Obey, Voodoo Doll, Bewitch, Repulsive) are on her card. Sure, I will usually want one of her limited options, and Hex Bag gives a decent (0) action - but even without them, she has worthwhile (and iconic) actions to take.

For Lilith, almost every action worth taking is going to be coming from an upgrade, with the only exception being Tangle Shadows (which will usually only be used when you have the right cards/soulstones to pull it off.) That's the real difference, and why I'm not as happy with Lilith's design compared to most other Masters. (At least, based on the final version of her in the playtest and my experiences with it.)

Lilith was my primary master in 1.5, and moving to her in 2e has been very tough. You just can't play her the same way as before anymore, she's changed more in feel I think than any other master except Seamus.

That said, I really enjoy the new Lilith. The problem I have is, there is a lot of synergy between her and Nephilim. Push stuff into her, she takes a swing. Root stuff with Waldgeists, which fit with her "nature" theme, and then push them with Nephilim. Great stuff. Problem is, I haven't yet found myself able to bring it all together on the table. I can have Lilith do her own thing and that's workable, but I feel like the Nephs aren't my minions of choice unless I really get that combo machine going, and I just don't find they have the ability to either get somewhere and do their stuff in one activation, or to get there and survive til a second activation once in position. I'm hoping I'm able to work it out, because it seems like what the intent behind the "fluffy" Lilith crew is.