M2E Marcus

dgraz

But my opponent said I don't get a disengaging strike with squeal.  Is this true?  It's not a walk action.

He's correct. What's being discussed is just sitting the RSR beside Ophelia with Defensive +1, making it tough to attack, and next to impossible to walk from. I think there would still be defensive triggers though, but I just skimmed the section.

• Like 1

My guess would be that wicked allows you to trigger aswell.

Anyone thought about the Mauler as perfect Defend me Target ? He just gets more dangerous...

Downside is Marcus can be very fast.....and the Mauler is slow. I do see him being very useful in other areas though. Will be terrific for Turf War.......especially if you have Myranda Shapechange into one late game right in the middle.

Now that Wave 2 is official, I plan on working on that.

If you're waiting for things to be released in plastic, then you'll just have to accept that you're going to be handicapped in some situations. Marcus is the king of tailoring his list for the current game......he likes to have lots of options.

There isn't much that flies.....Dawn Serpent is the only one in book one I can think of. This Wave gives us the Raptor....which probably won't help against Ophelia anyway.

I may not wait for all plastics, but models like the old metal hoarcats just look darn ugly and I hope the new ones are better.  I'm likely to peak around.

I like the fly aspect just because I don't have to get a card I need like leap.  A crazy gryphon or something like it (jumbled monster) would be sweet :)

I honestly like most of the plastic sculpts better.  Someone seems really happy to extend off the bases though lol.  Just looking at my husband gluing the nephilim on to bases made me laugh.

A beast master list would be awesome.  I debated between arcanist and TT so have both decks from wave one.  I proxied at home til I decided.  The dawn serpent is neat.  The little dead puppies creep me out some.  If I can get around dead animals I will.  lol.  Don't mind skellies, ghosts and zombies but that dead little chihuahua is so.... eeewwww.

Hope you don't mind the questions.  I'm sure I'll have more as I tweak some lists out.

So, I've got a sad story to tell.

I bought Marcus in 1.5 when he was widely-regarded as terrible. I was hot with Mei Feng, in love with the Arcanists, and I wanted a challenge. I played roughly 15 games with Marcus in 1.5 before 2E was announced, and lost all but one. And the one win? It was later disqualified, 'cause I'd accidentally cheated.

I took a break from the game during the Wave 1 beta (I really don't like beta testing - just isn't my cup of tea). When Wave 1 was finalized, I went back to Marcus and decided to give it another go. I loved that the Razorspine Rattler was playable now, and immediately bought a December Acolyte to replace Von Schill. I've read up, plotted, painted, and prepared. So how have I done?

I played 15 games with Marcus in 2E, and lost all but one. And the one win? It was later disqualified, 'cause I'd accidentally cheated.

Now, I'm not a terrible Malifaux player. Honest, I'm not. I went 8-0 with Perdita the last time I played her against a skilled opponent. But honestly? I just don't get Marcus.

Weirdly, though, I still love playing him. You'd think so many losses would've soured me. Just the opposite. I only lose my games by small margins - 1, maybe 2 points - and I've bought cigars to smoke when I finally pull off that (legitimate) win.

So what's the moral of the story? Well, for new players browsing the Marcus thread, be aware that playing Marcus isn't the same as playing on easy mode. That said, he's fun to play even when you're losing. Using Alpha on a Ronin and having her seppuku to kill herself after she charges the enemy Master? Fabulous.

tl;dr - Marcus is awesome, but the's road to victory may be exceptionally treacherous. At least, if you're me.

• Like 1

Interesting. It is very true that Marcus is certainly not an easy button. He takes some skill and some finesse to really get right. As I've mentioned before, he likes lots of options because he is the king of tailoring a list to the current game.........but if you don't know what beasts are good at what and/or work well together........you're going to have a tough time.

I don't keep track of my W-L-D record, but I know I've won far more than I've lost with Marcus....whereas another guy that I know is about the opposite (he is getting much better though).

Arcanists Crew - 50 - Scrap

Marcus -- 7 Pool
 +Feral Instincts [1]
 +The Hunger Cry [1]
 +The Trail of the Gods [1]

Canine Remains [4]
Hoarcat Pride [5]
Johan [7]
 +Imbued Protection [2]
Myranda [8]
 +Imbued Energies [1]
Rail Worker [5]
Rail Worker [5]
Razorspine Rattler [7]

This is a typical crew for me. Myranda usually Shapeshifts into a Sabretooth Cerberus if/when she's badly wounded.

I brought this to a game of Reconnoiter with the schemes Entourage and Power Ritual. I figured it had both heavy-hitters and mobility, but in hindsight, it would've likely been better to proxy a Cojo. I got nuked in my last game against Sonnia Criid; I relied too much on terrain to save me -- once Sonnia's blasts had set several of my guys on fire, Sam Hopkins quickly gunned 'em down.

Still, I'm open to feedback. In fact, I'd love some! What kind of mistakes do people see in this list, and how can I improve my game?

I am mainly a Rasputina player. I have the December starter and most of the Frozen Hearts (Snow Storm, Blessed, Acolyte, Silent One) I was supposed to get the Hoarcat but it got lost in delivery. I have been playing a few games to learn Malifaux and really enjoying it.

I was very curious with the Claw and Fang starter and by reading this thread and I am quite decided on buying it. My only problem is that I can only afford the starter and nothing else for now. My question now is that can I play Marcus with just the starter? Looking at their point costs, the starter box is already 34 points without upgrades. That might be too few models in a 35ss crew with only 1 upgrade. a 40ss crew would might mean the starter and more upgrades since I only have frozen hearts. At 50ss, I have an idea of putting the Blessed in with the crew since that is what I have. How would that go?

My next question would be, can I still play games with just the Marcus starter? I can proxy some gamins as molemen or if my hoarcat arrives but that is basically it. I might get swamped with other crews with a lot of models. One of my main goals was to buy the starter so I get try the Myranda, Sabertooth, RSR and Cojo with Rasputina but since I already have him, why not play him.

I don't have any experience against M2E Ophelia....so I really can't help much (hopefully sssk has faced her and can lend some advice).  

I have indeed faced her a few times. One obvious choice is Joss. Not a beast of course, but with imbued energies, feral, and alpha, it's not difficult to get Ophelia in melee. Then she can squeel all she likes, no defensive triggers against Joss' attacks. Similarly, december acolytes are pretty nice against her (good damage, good range, force card discard, give slow, alpha, Darzhee's chaunt = lots of shots at high Sh with no squeeling). The final obvious choice is just feed her some junk and ignore her while you do you schemes etc (though with her guns, that's easier said than done).

The RSR and Cerberus also become pretty handy with terrifying. Admitedly it's low terrifying, but force enough duels and they'll fail some of them.

Broadly, the Kin don't have good defense, so even things like the Jackalope can cause some good damage.

I'd say generally against shooty crews, you need to get in asap and start tearing them up. Gremlins are a difficult match because as soon as they hit dumb luck they're doing horrendous amounts of damage to your squishy beasts, and you're always going to be outnumbered.

• Like 2

Still, I'm open to feedback. In fact, I'd love some! What kind of mistakes do people see in this list, and how can I improve my game?

Well, first off; there shouldn't be a "typical" Marcus crew. Marcus is king of tailoring his crew for the current game. Everything matters.....terrain, strat, available schemes, what Faction you are facing, what schemes the enemy may take....all of that. The Marcus crew greatly benefits from having more options....which equals more models. I can field every beast he has available except for the Dawn Serpent (soooon).......that translates to more money.....Marcus can easily be as expensive as a heavy summoning crew. But to be the most competitive you can be, it's almost necessary to have all of those options.

Secondly, Johan and the Rail Workers throw me a little. At that point, half of your crew is non-beast....why bother with Myranda? Her best abilities key specifically off of Beasts....her plus flips for Defense, her extra attack spell and her healing....she isn't worth her points without beasts around.

I have no problem throwing in one.....maybe two non-beasts.....but then the other beasts had damn sure better be the right ones for the job. As I mentioned somewhere above, knowing what beast is right for what job is an acquired skill that really ups your game.

I kinda understand Johan for his condition removal, but the way a Sonnia crew throws Burning around I'm not sure he'd be really worth it.

Specifically for Reconnoiter (my least favorite Strat btw)....tougher smaller models would probably be better. Canine Remains are nice, because they are quick and have H2W. Molemen are also good for it as they can be fast with Scheme Marker moves, and their Armor. The Waldgeist is also a good choice as burning does not circumvent armor....at 6ss apiece, I might even take two. 

I am mainly a Rasputina player. I have the December starter and most of the Frozen Hearts (Snow Storm, Blessed, Acolyte, Silent One) I was supposed to get the Hoarcat but it got lost in delivery. I have been playing a few games to learn Malifaux and really enjoying it.

I was very curious with the Claw and Fang starter and by reading this thread and I am quite decided on buying it. My only problem is that I can only afford the starter and nothing else for now. My question now is that can I play Marcus with just the starter? Looking at their point costs, the starter box is already 34 points without upgrades. That might be too few models in a 35ss crew with only 1 upgrade. a 40ss crew would might mean the starter and more upgrades since I only have frozen hearts. At 50ss, I have an idea of putting the Blessed in with the crew since that is what I have. How would that go?

My next question would be, can I still play games with just the Marcus starter? I can proxy some gamins as molemen or if my hoarcat arrives but that is basically it. I might get swamped with other crews with a lot of models. One of my main goals was to buy the starter so I get try the Myranda, Sabertooth, RSR and Cojo with Rasputina but since I already have him, why not play him.

Starter box is certainly the best place to start (and it's a great deal....if you look at the cost of the models available separately). The Blessed and the Acolyte are both good choices to go in the Marcus crew.

You can certainly get a feel for Marcus with just those models, but after a few games you're going to quickly realize that having some cheaper options will really help you. Molemen, K-9's, (and now with Wave 2 official), Guild Hounds, Raptors, Night Terrors......all good cheap options.

I dislike 35ss games as the game is balanced at 50. The further you get from 50 the more imbalanced it becomes and so crews will over/under perform.......and it really skews your perception of the game.

• Like 1

Ah, now this is making more sense. I don't own Molemen or Waldgeists.

I brought Myranda for her Shapechange, honestly. It's pretty awesome getting a Sabretooth Cerberus out of nowhere and drawing four cards. But she really underperformed this game; I've always seen her + to Df as a bonus and not the main reason to take her, but maybe I need to re-evaluate that idea.

So this is encouraging. My list building kung-fu is weak. I know now what to work on!

I always run her close to AT LEAST one (usually two) other beasts (even Marcus is an option there). The plus flips usually force the enemy to cheat just to hit them....hey, it may still get through, but it's a card no longer in their hand....which limits what they can do in a turn.

Less attacks getting through means your beasts live a little longer....maybe long enough for her to heal them.

Then, once I've lost a couple models and/or Myranda is hurt.....she is less effective....then Shapechange.

I also usually put Imbued Protection on Myranda instead of Energies.....the 4 cards is nice, but Df 8 is no joke.....I've held up the likes of Lilith and Mei Feng with her (and once a Mei Feng/Rail Golem tag-team).

@Sybarite: Rail Workers are my favorite Arcanist minion. They've done so much work for me in past Mei Feng and Marcus lists. I just love 'em. They're also incredible with Ramos, though I don't own Ramos - I've only been beat down by Ramos and Rail Workers. They're a Minion I've learned never to underestimate.

That said, Dgraz's responses have gotten me thinking about list building. My dismal win percentage means I'm doing something very wrong. I think I'm able to build an OK list when the goals are straightforward and killing the enemy is the optimal way to win, but not so good when it comes to building with finesse pieces like Marcus and his Beasts.

Too many first-person shooters, not enough puzzle games.

• Like 1

I also usually put Imbued Protection on Myranda instead of Energies.....the 4 cards is nice, but Df 8 is no joke.....I've held up the likes of Lilith and Mei Feng with her (and once a Mei Feng/Rail Golem tag-team).

Conversely (and showing the lovely diversity of #TeamMarcus), I'd never put imbued protection on Myranda. I find df7 is ample to keep her alive long enough to cerberus someone in the face, and 2ss for +1df is expensive.

I generally run Myranda with a pet RSR nearby. df6 on a positive flip, with potential healing is very handy. It works as the perfect anvil to then shapechange into a cerberus and hammer something.

While Myranda is absolutely fantastic as herself, I do tend to find she's gone by the end of turn 3. But again, this is personal preference. 

• Like 1

While Myranda is absolutely fantastic as herself, I do tend to find she's gone by the end of turn 3. But again, this is personal preference. 

And I have her last till the end sometimes....or not change until turn 5 :)

Though I very much agree that 2ss for +1df is expensive.....on a df 5 model probably not worth it, but on a df 7 model she lives forever if I want her to. I have tried it on Cojo a few times, but lately, I just hire a Metal Gamin for 2ss more.....then I can give Cojo Protection of Metal AND have another model.....works wonders for Turf War.

I jumped in and bought the Marcus starter box. One thing I noticed was that the jackalope is freakingly small!!! Anyway, I also tried getting me mole men too. 

With the starter, 2 mole men and a few upgrades reaching 50ss, would you say that it could be a workable list to use and learn Marcus? I haven't started buying out of faction beasts yet because of the cards so I plan to use in-faction beasts at the moment. Shoul I have tried the Hoarcat pride instead?

Sure, you can play with that for a little while. It'll also be good to get a few different types of strats and stuff in, so you can see what beast is good for what job. Once you start understanding the play-style and what jobs the models you have are good for you can start worrying about what to get next.

Molemen are good to start....I would have chosen them over hoarcats.

• Like 1