M2E Marcus

dgraz

Hi folks,

There's a new blog post at http://playitlikebeatdown.wordpress.com/ all about one of my favourite things about Marcus: Alpha.

It's a bit rambly, and I'm not totally convinced that it actually says anything of use/interest, but feel free to check it out.

Also, don't forget the BIG COMPETITION (the previous blog post). Oh yeah, I still need to stick a photo on that one... I'll do it tomorrow (he says, knowing darn well that he'll forget).

Enjoy

Dave/sssk

• 3 weeks later...

awesome review on Marcus, I will admit that I have always been interested in wanting to play Marcus since malifaux began, I just never picked up a starter box of his crew. now that we are into Marcus 2.0 he and his crew look wicked as all get out. I believe it was always the Razor spine rattler that always drew me in. with that said, as someone who knows nothing of how to play Marcus and his crew. where should I begin with him? what kind of play style should I play with him on the table? I have always heard play Marcus in a hit and run style, I always figured since he was a beast master he would just let all his pets smash face because his beasts should be hitting hard. I know there is tons of info on 2.0 Marcus but its a bit overwhelming with all the info I found ....all of it being good, just looking for a simple consolidated guide on how as a biginer to the correct way to play him if there is a correct way to play him. again thanks for all the help and the guidance on Marcus 2.0

Marcus can do a few different play styles. Personally, my favourite is the hit and run approach. For starting out, I'd recommend the Marcus starter box and some molemen (who knows when they'll get new plastics).

There's very little you can't do with those few models. Sure, they might not be the best at various things, but they're good at most things, and arguably "the best" at some. I really need to do some spring cleaning on my blog so it's easier to navigate, but if you start with the oldest posts (last September) you should find some handy Marcus intro info.

Enjoy

Pretty much agree with Sssk. Only other model (outside the starter) that I really, really like is the Silurid. For any scheme that requires you getting around, he's my go to guy. Molemen are awesome popping around on your half of the table, but the Silurid can get anywhere.....they also make for a great tag-team....with the Silurid bouncing ahead dropping scheme markers for the Moles to jump to.

I usually take all of Marcus' upgrades....going for Trail of the Gods on the limiteds. The regular upgrades allow Marcus to do a bit of support for his crew. Trail gives you a huge speed boost if you need to get somewhere and can make Marcus a beater if your beasts need help.....he is very flexible at being what you need.

Imbued Energies on the Cerberus is nice to give him Fast on a key assassination turn. I like Imbued Protection on Myranda.....Df 8 is no joke.....I've had her stand up to the likes of Mei Feng and Lilith. She is a great tarpit/supporter for the first 3 turns.....then I usually shift her into a beast for some late game clean-up.

Razorspine and Law of Meat is an awesome combo.

the more I read on Marcus 2.0 the more I'm being drawn to purchase his starter. he seems so much better than the 1.5 version

As a loooong time Marcus player, I can tell you for FACT that he is much more fun in M2E......much more.

In 1.5 he had many great abilities, but didn't have the AP to effectively use them.......now that all Masters have 3 AP, that virtually fixed him alone. But the Upgrade system has really made him shine, you can kit him out how you want so he can play in very different ways. The most obvious being as I mentioned above; if you take Trail of the Gods, he becomes much more focal.....he will be working...running around completing objectives, fighting, etc.......whereas if you take The God's Domain he is much more supportive and defensive.

ahhhhhhh.......I love M2E Marcus.

• Like 1

The new RSR is hot-sauce to be sure. I had a little difficulty with mine.....the flared hood is one piece that fits on the body.....but it's too tight and doesn't fit flush.....I filed it down just a little and it fit perfectly. Just something to keep in mind before you go glue-crazy.....dry-fit first.

• Like 1

The new RSR is hot-sauce to be sure. I had a little difficulty with mine.....the flared hood is one piece that fits on the body.....but it's too tight and doesn't fit flush.....I filed it down just a little and it fit perfectly. Just something to keep in mind before you go glue-crazy.....dry-fit first.

will do man, are all the beast minus the jackalope on 50mm bases?

also, what would be a good opponent starter box to get with the Marcus box set? I kinda want to demo the game to my friends and would like to have another starter box to play Marcus against, I was thinking Sonnia 2.0 since her crew hunt arcanist. but that also worries me because from what I have read on her she is down right nasty to go against. or is she only as good as the person who uses her?

You'll need the arsenal deck. You do get  the Marcus specific upgrades, Myranda's 'Skinwalker' (which I've yet to use), and I believe 'Pack Leader'........but the general Arcanist upgrades won't be in there......like Imbued Energies, Imbued Protection, Arcane Reservoir, etc.

• Like 1

what beast would be best to use with myrandas shape change, I got a strong feeling that it will be the Cerberus that would be more suited for her to shape change into.

It's the Cerberus at least 80% of the time......just for the shear killing power. But there are times when something else may be more beneficial. Blessed of December, Slateridge Mauler, RSR are all good options.

my girlfriend has chosen Seamus as her crew, because she likes the whole jack the ripper theme, I have read that Seamus is pretty tough, is Marcus out matched on this matchup? what do I need to do with Marcus to shut down Seamus?

No master is out-matched in any game. Play the strats and schemes. Yes, Seamus can be scary....but Marcus has the tools to deal with him. Belles can seriously throw you off your game because they move you around.....but they can't target what they can't see.....utilizing something like a Silurid or Cerberus allows you to hide out of LoS, then Leap to where you need to be.........Marcus' Howl for the +2 Wp can help against the Belles also.....and good for getting around Terrifying. Don't bother trying to kill Seamus with models with low Weak damage.........but models like the Cerberus (3 Weak) and Marcus with Trail of the Gods (4 Weak....and maybe +1 attack)......will tear him down pretty quick if Seamus jumps around the table without support.

Engaging him with a cheaper model and using Law of Meat on him is also a viable option.....although that trick requires you to keep winning Initiative.

• Like 1

So...new to Malifaux and trying to stick to plastics although I have a few metals (Cat, RSR, marcus, myranda, 3molemen) from a friend in addition to the plastic box.  I also have Raspy's crew box.

At our FLGS we are having a slowfaux league.  This month is 35ss and next month is 50ss.

I've been doing well so far...one issue.  shooting... namely my butt was shot to death by Ophelia and her little buddies.  The score would have been 9-6 but after murdering everything (RSR last to die on turn 5) he got 2 extra turns to remove my 6 line in the sand scheme markers leaving the score 9-3 ouch.  I was told hiding behind buildings and taking bodygaurd scheme was my best option.  We had Reckoning as the strategy so those gun guys were really after my butt and despite soft cover and hard cover I was blown to bits.  When my beasts don't have leap I feel like I'll be trapped behind a building waiting to get shot up and not scoring any strategy points. 

I know Lady J is in the league as well and I haven't faced her yet but the gremlins seem outright insane with an extra AP....also the positive flip on shooting doesn't help.

Wish I had slurids or hoarcats but I'll be waiting for plastics.  What else can I do especially with this strategy and matchup???

I used the box set with one upgrade on Marcus for the Regen....35ss...Just his 4 stone cache.

I don't have any experience against M2E Ophelia....so I really can't help much (hopefully sssk has faced her and can lend some advice). Does she still have that stupid thing that allows them to shoot into combat without hitting Gremlins? If so then yeah.....you've got serious problems. As the best defense for melee crews against shooting is to get in melee.

I'm not a fan of the slow-grow, because the crews are balanced at 50......so less than that and some crews will have advantages/disadvantages.

Using cover and having Myranda shadow your other models is helpful (with her plus flips for Defense). 

I assume Ophelia still has Squeel to get out of melee.......RSR and Law of Meat may help there......I seem to remember that you can't use triggers on disengaging strikes (though I could be mistaken) if so, then just keeping her there and not actually attacking on the RSR's turn.....go Defensive maybe.....then just let it take Disengaging Strikes.....once weakened by a turn of that, Marcus can finish her.

That trigger is extremely difficult for your crew to deal with and I don't know how to get around it. If you had the models, I'd suggest lots of small attacks......K-9 Remains, Guild Hounds, Hoarcats.

I've found that The God's Domain is more effective when Marcus is playing support....therefore better if you have more beasts. Trail of the Gods lets Marcus be more active......the massive movement, an extra attack, and Weak damage of 4 allow him to either be where he needs to be for objectives, or kill things.

I'm thinking that the best thing is to just try and stay away from Ophelia, or limit her (like the Law of Meat thing above) and try to take out other members of her crew for Reckoning.

Sorry, wish I could offer more.....I just don't have the experience against Gremlins (no one is playing any of them at my LGS).

• Like 1

They all have squeel.  Darn gremlins.  They can shoot into combat with no penalty.  He used Lenny to throw Ophelia and then activate her buddy....From what he said I cannot take disengaging strikes when they squeel since it's a push and not a walk.  Tried to take one of them over by having Marcus club it but he managed to kill the darn thing.

Thank You for the advice.  I know the other models might help but I also probably need to tweak my run forward and engage playstyle here.  Not sure.  Thought I should stay close and grab tall grass with soft cover but my opponent said it wasnt a good idea.  To spread out and use buildings more but I felt like I wuld loose my synergy.

Wish I could practice but my hubby is playing Neverborn and there isn't much shooting in his 2 lists.  Besides I think he's still sore Raspy tabled Pandora 10-0.