M2E Marcus

dgraz

7 hours ago, Anubis said:

I'm really sad reading your list.. i only bring beasts with Marcus with great results. No need for mech rider/joss/cassandra/etc.. fell the power of the nature bro!!! ;)

About Marcus upgrade I always pick Trail of Gods for mobility/damage output, Seize the day (i'll never change it.. probably the most op arcanist upgrade) and Feral Instincts for the 2 (0) actions and turn enemy/arcane emissary into beast

Huge playstyle thing, I would say Arcane reservoir is a virtual auto pick for Marcus because he needs tomes to discard (But I would probably take the upgrade on every master 90% of the time if I could, regardless of faction), but I never ever bother with Seize the day. I play to minimise the effect of Initiative because when I learnt, I always lost initiative. Trail is probably a generally more useful upgrade, but there are certainly places for Domain, especially if you are wanting to turn enemies into beasts, those positives on attack really help find those tomes, and Df 7 with regenerate and the ability to pass attacks off to beasts nearby makes him a pain to shift for a lot of crews. Might mean you don't need feral so open you up for a different upgrade, (although I'm slightly confused by a post that says "Only Bring beasts. You don't need non beasts in your list. Oh by the way,  I use Feral to turn my own crew into beasts").

• Like 1

Just the Arcane Emissary.. why a mecha-scorpion or waldegeist is a beast and not a mighty minotaur? Just something wrong in its 0 upgrade i want to believe xD Feral still usefull to cast Alpha on enemy without going in melee..

Surely Marcus is one master with many different playing styles.. i prefer keep him hidden ready to inflict fatal wounds using other beast not to protect him but like cannon, only Jackalope stay close. Seize the day for me is always.. no need for the first/second turn but for the others is often too important win the iniziative flip

Recently i play with this list:

Marcus Feral/Trail/seize the day

Miranda with Imbued Energies

Jackalope

Blessed of December

Arcane Emissary with Rage conflux

Silurid

Moleman

And one between Cojo/Rogue Necromancy/Mauler/Dawn Serpent or fill with hounds in base at the strategy

Had my first Marcus game last night. (0)Feral + (0)Domesticate was an obvious combo to go for while learning the ropes. Took out McTavish in single activation by pounding him to pulp. Was a lot of fun. Wasn't the most optimal list on either side, Gremlin Zoraida trying out (to him) new models and me picking beasts based on what's painted. Looking forward to more-or-less single mastering Marcus for a while.

I do wonder if Limited+Feral+Hunger is perhaps more 'fun' than it is 'always optimal'. Something I probably should tinker with once I get a few games down. I did find myself wishing I had Fast in a few places, could've perhaps turned 6-2 game into 7-2. Something to chew on for sure.

You are not going to find an always optimal upgrade set up for Marcus. He has such a wide choice in effects depending on what you want him to do. there are at least 4 choices in the generic upgrades alone (and I could actually make a case for the stone upgrade if you had a spare slot purely for the (0) draw 2 cards). Arcane resevour is obvious, seize the day is very popular, Imbued energies is good on anything, and Imbued protection can put Marcus up to Df 8 if you want a Marcus holding ground. 

I personally don't generally bother making the enemy beasts so don't look at domesticate very often. I normally only take the feral upgrade if I have pack leader somewhere in the crew because it is a relatively easy WP test for the enemy to fail. ((6 attacks in 1 activation is fun. When he is Minimum damage 4 there isn't much that lives after that turn)

But there are plenty of others out there who will give you different upgrade advice, about the only thing I will say as the golden rule is you really do want to take one of his Limited upgrades. 

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't find a list at PMF Marcus article. What models besides Marcus, Raptors and Canine Remains can pass on the Beast characteristic?

At two games with Marcus now. 5-7 loss against Hamelin, it's pretty annoying when you can't charge or leap (he had Anna). Good news is there's a tournament next week, should get plenty of games in. Single master Marcus all the way :D

• 1 month later...

Always a bummer when that happens. Even so he seems to get the job done without tomes to discard. Just Wk8 or 3AP with 4/4/6 wins me VP and Alpha/Law of Meat don't require tomes.

Been trying out a Ronin as a set hire for the last five or so games. Really happy with her despite the price tag. Disguise+Hard to Kill is often plain annoying, she ignores armour (otherwise a problem for my beast & merc Marcus, don't own a Shikome) and gives me more stones late game should I need any. Marcus seems to eat stones like candy so that last bit is good to have as an option. Thinking of adding Razorspine Rattler as another 'forced' hire. I love the model and find the rules intriguing but have trouble fitting it into my lists. It's been just ok the few times I've tried it but I need more experience with it to get comfortable. There's a 3-round tournament next weekend, I have a feeling Senior Razor is in for a trial by fire :D

On 2017-5-21 at 7:17 PM, Nikodemus said:

Couldn't find a list at PMF Marcus article. What models besides Marcus, Raptors and Canine Remains can pass on the Beast characteristic?

At two games with Marcus now. 5-7 loss against Hamelin, it's pretty annoying when you can't charge or leap (he had Anna). Good news is there's a tournament next week, should get plenty of games in. Single master Marcus all the way :D

That is the full list at the moment. 

Ouch, Hamlin with Anna sounds like a nightmare to work around. Just don't plan on killing them...

I've enjoyed using a Rattler as a way around the No charge auras from several outcasts, but Adding Anna is just mean. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Playing with the thought of starting marcus, but don't want to invest too much. 

I find it hard to decide between the scheme running beasts, though I am leaning towards either canine remains or night terrors. 

How would you rank - or which would be your pick if you could only choose one - the following:

molemen, night terrors, canine remains, corrupted hounds, guild hounds, hoarcat pride, (silurids)?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Treehouse said:

Playing with the thought of starting marcus, but don't want to invest too much. 

I find it hard to decide between the scheme running beasts, though I am leaning towards either canine remains or night terrors. 

How would you rank - or which would be your pick if you could only choose one - the following:

molemen, night terrors, canine remains, corrupted hounds, guild hounds, hoarcat pride, (silurids)?

Thanks

Night terrors can't perform interact actions. So they are quite poor at scheme running. (they are minions, but insignificant)

personally I would look at the list in order something like this

Silurid - Gupp - Wind gamin - Ice dancer - Union Miner - Canine remains - Blessed of December -performer -  Moleman (although these go up if you have another scheme marker dropper to give them the speed boost) - Steam Punk Arachnid - Hoarecat pride - Guild hounds- corrupted hounds. 

Of course it depends on exactly what you want. Performers "don't mind me" can shine a lot more in some cases. Likewise the Union miner in certain pools, good at markers in certain areas, not so good at crossing the board. Silurids are still probably the kings of scheme dropping due to the ease with which they leap. But they are expensive. The hounds are a little risky due to the need for other hounds to actually be able to interact. 

If you are playing around with the beast Keyword, then canine remains can be doing double duty. 

• Like 2

I thought about night terrors because they are cheaper and incorporeal,abd would combine then with practiced production. Though, i guess that has its limitations. 

How useful is it to have scheme runners, say canine remains, as beasts? Does it have significant benefits over other arcanist scheme runners? 

1 minute ago, Treehouse said:

I thought about night terrors because they are cheaper and incorporeal,abd would combine then with practiced production. Though, i guess that has its limitations. 

How useful is it to have scheme runners, say canine remains, as beasts? Does it have significant benefits over other arcanist scheme runners? 

Raptors would do that better I think, faster walk. 

Regarding your scheme runners being beasts or not, it depends on how you play. There are plenty of bonuses you can give to beasts, ranging from an effective re-activate (alpha) to bonus's to wp, or healing, or extra attacks. Beast would also help with protecting Marcus and summoning Jackolope ( I enjoyed one game where a hamlin opponent spent a lot of effort to kill my last minion, a razorspine rattler, with his crew to try and score hunting party, and after he killed it, I put the jackolope down to deny him the points). 

But if the non beast does more of what you want, then I personally am happy to pick it. Other people may give you a different answer

• Like 1

Thanks alot. Was thinking terrors over raptors as they qould also be avle to claim table quarters etc.

Mhm, i guess the most reasonable thing would be to buy the master box first and use the arcanists i already have to find out what i want...now i just have to be reasonable :-P

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys,

i pretty much exclusively played marcus for some time now and what i am still missing is some Beast that can eat corpse markers.

That is one heck of a problem if you face Reva :). Isnt there any grumpy Beast that wants to eat some leftovers?

I was thinking to take McTavish into my crew, but that kills the fluff a bit and he would cost 1 more.

Open for usggestions :)

2 minutes ago, Sybarite said:

Mctavish fits in rather well doesnt he? Why does it kill the fluff?

Well, because in my little twisted head Marcus is the only real Beastmaster around :-). But jeah, he fits very, very well. Especially if you got a Waldgeist with your crew or a Siurid and Alpha McTavish to shoot with his awesome rifle :). That does quite some damage :).

1 hour ago, Lokibri said:

Well, because in my little twisted head Marcus is the only real Beastmaster around :-). But jeah, he fits very, very well. Especially if you got a Waldgeist with your crew or a Siurid and Alpha McTavish to shoot with his awesome rifle :). That does quite some damage :).

In the last edition McTavish had a lot of beat synergy (he may even have had the beast Characteristic, I cant remember now). I know I bough him to join my Marcus crew. 

He is a beast "master" in a very different way, he is much more an animal trainer than Marcus who is the pack leader

Just now, Adran said:

In the last edition McTavish had a lot of beat synergy (he may even have had the beast Characteristic, I cant remember now). I know I bough him to join my Marcus crew. 

He is a beast "master" in a very different way, he is much more an animal trainer than Marcus who is the pack leader

Adran...you just hit the fluff right and opened a way for me to get McTavish into a Marcus Crew :).

Thanks a lot for that mate:).

Anyway...the question stil remains: Is there any Beast that can eat corpse marker? We got some for Scheme Markers but i am a little disappointed that none of the beasts are hungry for dead meat...maybe it is time to get some vultures on the game design team :). Or a Coyote (shout out to schemes and stones!). Would be nice like if he eats a Corpse marker he would get a heal flip or -1Wk but +1Ml oder +1dmg.

I mean we still got the amissary, but that is highly costed :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, Steamfitter can now give Armor to masters for the rest of the game. What do you guys think of Armor 1 Trail Marcus? Could bring along Ferdinand/The Beast and a toolkit for Marcus +2 beasts to have armor the rest of the game. Seems reasonably strong, especially on things that have Hard to Wound.