M2E Marcus

dgraz

On 12/5/2016 at 3:22 PM, Franchute said:

Has anyone found some utility of Ama No Zako in a Marcus crew? She is terrifying (complementary to pack leader) and can eat up paralyzed models. With her obey, she can force ennemies to fail their horror duel. She might need imbued protection though.

Edit: A trick occurred to me. One sometimes brings a bunch of Ht 1 models in a Marcus crew to outactivate the opponent (hounds, Jackalope, raptors...). These are also useful later on to heal Ama No Zako with Swallow you Whole. "Hey Malifaux Raptor. You remember when you bit me to make me a beast? Now you're going to be my meal."

This is a neat idea, definitely worth a shot. Ama is mean, no doubt about it.

Hi guys,

New player here :-)

Great thread! Soaking up all the input you share :-)

I'm pretty amazed by Marcus but I encountered Hoffman at the last gaming night and had a bit of trouble getting through all this armor... I managed to finish Ryle who had armor 4 thanks to my blessed, red joker on damage.

What do you do against armor? December Acolytes came up my mind..

Cheers 

1 minute ago, R3n3 said:

Hi guys,

I'm pretty amazed by Marcus but I encountered Hoffman at the last gaming night and had a bit of trouble getting through all this armor... I managed to finish Ryle who had armor 4 thanks to my blessed, red joker on damage.

Cheers 

Joss is a solid addition to a Marcus crew (or pretty much any Arcanist crew). His ability to ignore Armor, Hard to Wound, Hard to Kill, and Df triggers makes him my favorite assassin of the unkillable. If you use a Raptor to turn Joss into a beast, you can get all sorts of fun synergies with him in a Marcus crew and he becomes damn hard to put down when he has Myranda backing him up (:+fate on Df and the ability to heal him)

• Like 1

@R3n3 The Shikome ignores armor and luckily you can field it in pairs, to make sure that you always get +1 damage via Adversary, not mentioning the extra attack via Long Memory & Pack Leader. While Joss is a solid piece, he isn't able to go out and hunt down whatever needs to be hunted down. He's the ultimate anvil but less useful as your dedicated hammer.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2016 at 4:46 PM, R3n3 said:

Hi guys,

Cheers 

I very much agree with the two above posts (Joss is excellent at filling in a lot of gaps which Marcus crews often have, I've not used Shikome myself, but I've seen them used to good effect by others).

My approach is usually just to hit armoured things extra hard. That means I can build my crew to achieve my schemes and strategies/counter my opponents, and don't need to play the mini-game of "do I need to counter armour". That being said, often Joss is a good solution to many things (he's much better at tanking than most other things) in my experience.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to get two more games ( we came up with guard the stash both times ) in with Marcus and done well in both of em. First one vs Guild and the Ortega family. Raptor turned Joss into a beast turn 1 and on top of turn 2 an alpha'd Joss wrecked a peacekeeper to assure me 3 pts for quick murder. Ended 10-1 for Marcus

2nd game against Tara, also nice, launched a Cerberus with Alpha right into her crew making crucial kills. Marcus smacked Tara ( making her a beast and domesticated her was much fun )

We went out of time so we ended by 4-0 for Marcus

Marcus and the Cerberus are now rightly feared in our club. I'm purchasing a second Cerberus and a rogue necromancy to further expand my crew for him.

Cheers

• Like 3

Informative thread. Going to have to read through ssk's blog next. Considering expanding into Marcus faction in the summer. Seems like Marcus box + Scheme runner box is a good budget start? I'd prefer to stick mostly with beast models but are there any Arcanist stuff I want to consider, preferably stand alone boxes? Arcane Effigy seems useful for condition removal and buffing punchy Marcus. I might grab Arcane Emissary, just because I like Avatar Marcus model. How's the Emissary in beast Marcus lists? Seems like a solid model by itself. Haven't seen a lot of text on Scorpius, how is it? It probably wants crew to hand out poison, which Myranda and Razorspine can do but I don't see either wanting to use AP on their attack all that often.

Right now I'm looking at getting:

Marcus + Avatar/Emissary (extra muscle and tank) + Silurids (schemes!) + Raptors (so long as I don't cheese these with Practiced Production I'm good, right?)

Probably Molemen or Waldgeists too, to have some cheaper than 7ss significant minions. With a few mercs I have those seems like a solid pool to work with for most strats & schemes.

You probably want another Cerberus, honestly. I have a metal one just for contrast sake.  (Even if it does look a little sickly). Rogue NEcro is real real good. I'm not a huge fun of the Emissary with Marcus, there are other models for the points that do more for him. 

I would probably rather 1 blessed and 1 cerberus over 2 cerberus. The Cerberus does more damage more consistently,  but the blessed it relatively tanky and can put out  reasonable damage against quite a few targets.

I don't use them for the same roles, but they can sort of cover each others roles.For me, the cerberus is a cruise missile and the blessed in a scalpel, cutting out the VP scoring capabilities of the enemy.  I hire the blessed slightly more often than the cerberus, but I do happily own 3 cerberus, and have fielded them all at the same time.

• Like 2

Blessed of December (aka: Decembers bullet) is one of my absolute favourites.

With his Leap (on an 8 of any suit) and an optional Imbued Energies upgrade, he is one of the speedkings of the game.

And as an addition: Hard to Wound, very nice variety of attack triggers and a dangerous MI 7..

Tried out Blessed of December and Rogue Necromancy in a tournament last weekend. Both with I.E. and Myranda with 'Blade and Claw' for the devastating switcharoo.

Blessed and the Necromancy killed the enemies Mysterious Emissary in turn 1...

Played a game last night: stake a claim vs Zipp.

I took Marcus (normal load out), Myranda (Imbued), Cassandra (PP), raptor, 2 Rattlers, 2 molemen and Jackalope. Ended up going 10-5 in Zipp's favor but like all Stake a Claim games it was closer than it seemed and would have turned out much better had I not made a couple important first turn placement errors.  Thanks to @iamsssk for the list. 

• 4 weeks later...

It did alright for a six stone model.

Turn 1: Walked forward twice, crept sideways into a cool cover situation.

Turn 2: Waited till the canine remains were stuck in, charged in alongside them.  Did decent damage to an enemy Steamborg.  Slowed 3 enemy poisoned models.

Turn 3: Enemy Joss beat it to death.

On 2/18/2017 at 4:29 AM, madaxeman said:

Would have thought the Razorspine had more (poison) synergy in that list if you are picking a snake  - any chance you could share your thinking on the choice to use Dawn Serpent ?

I feel the Dawn Serpent is better than the Rattler in many ways.  Self healing, spits fire, etc.

The idea wasn't necessarily poison synergy (like, don't base list around 6 point model), just a general fighting beast list that let Markus do his thing.  Waldgeists are sturdy, canine remains spread Beast around, Rogue Necromancy and Dawn Serpent beat faces.

Hey guys, good thread. I haven't read through the whole thing, and I'm going to guess many answers to this question are somewhere within this font of knowledge, but - When do you guys use Darzee's Chaunt on your own beaters? Is it only if you have activation control and it's the end of the turn? Do you ever do it earlier and give the opponent a chance to attack your model on double negative Df flips? Do you always target a big beater, or do you sometimes give it to a cheaper less important model?

Thanks!

My Ideal Dauzee chant target is an already activated enemy model that I plan on Alphaing...

Reasons to do my own beast -

Its not going to be attacked back. (O iI expect it to survive being attacked) (This might also include Myranda when I'm planning on shifting her)

I want it to die (Think Frame for murder or Kill switch)

I really need to kill an enemy that gives me negatives to hit (Like Yin).

I really need to kill an enemy and my hand is rubbish

I'm trying to bluff one of the above reasons.

What I target will depend on why I'm doing it. I am very unlikely to do it on a big beater if I'm not going to accomplice them in, because they become a huge target before they activate, unless I think the potential reward outweighs the risk. 

• Like 2

I  used Darzees maybe 3 times so far. Once to debuff an already activated Izamu, making it easy for my Blessed to deal with him. 

In another game I charged Lilith with my Cerberus as last activation in this turn, leaving nothing left of her. I often use seize the day with Marcus, so the odds of having the first activation the following turn would've be in my favour if the assassination failed...

Cheers