M2E Marcus

dgraz

Hey, team Marcus, there's a new post up at http://playitlikebeatdown.wordpress.com/ looking at what I might take for Reckoning in a tournament in the not too distant future.

Had some interesting feedback on it so far, but more feedback is good feedback, so why not check it out?

There're going to be a couple more strategies theoryfauxed in the next week or two (for the same tournament), so keep checking back if you want more.

Enjoy

hi folks yesterday i played a game that I win almost only with my tiger and marcus, the tiger got lucky and with a neat combo( alpha and the buf to atacks) kill almost 3 models.

but hte scary thing is that at this point my oponent wanted a challenge marcus vs vonschill.

My marcus had the

+2 damage +1 AP for mele trait ( y paid the tome every turn of the duel)

the one that give him one aditional 0 ap action and feral

and the one that let the bbreast on line of sight win one mele atack if an enemy lose one WP test.

in the end y was doing 5 atacks with ml 6 and damage 4/4/6 ( always doing the weak).

isn't this tooo strong?

I don't believe it's too strong. You need to cast the spell to get the attack from smell fear...which you then need to hit on.

You need to actually have the Tome in hand to discard if you want multiple abilities from Trail of the Gods.

Marcus is only Df 5 himself, so if someone gets the drop on him he goes down pretty easily.

Yes, it's strong....but not OP in my opinion.

yeah is not OP by it self but with such great support skills, and the "defend me" triger ( that is extremly usefull) the overall is great. I can say is OP because I dont control al the mechanics of the others masters so I cant know, it's yust I ended suprised doing 5 atacks per turn (if the enemy is a beast I have to chances to get the extra atack, if not and I fail the feral, if I score the trigger from the basic atack I get a second chance). And those where atack my other beast whould have too ( from smell fear), I really like the smell fear upgrade.

Is there more ways besides marcus casting actions to make the enemys do WP duels? others beast .. I only found the terror from the cerberus and snake

Edited by Raising

Nice one sssk. I agree with almost everything on Myranda and the only disagreements would be play-style differences I think.

I love Imbued Protection on Myranda....but I haven't really faced a lot of area effect damage yet.....and Df 8 against standard attacks is just insane.

Pack Leader.....I wouldn't say a Marcus Crew can throw out a ton of WP stuff....there are a few models with Terror, but it is so low that I've never seen anyone fail it....and only Marcus himself has any WP things.

If Marcus is running support and casting Feral and Law of Meat, then Pack Leader is worth having.......but if you plan on being more aggressive with Marcus then I probably wouldn't bother.

Totally agree on Skinwalker........poor Myranda...the only Henchman without a decent Upgrade. I have never taken it, and I've played Myranda in every Marcus game. I'm wondering if the intent is for it to be used with some speedy beast that can get into the backfield........maybe the Malifaux Raptor (I guess we'll see in about a week about that)....but still....then she is in the back, alone and unsupported, and she isn't supporting the beasts she should be supporting.

My experience with Skinwalker.

I have used a vulture to get into the backfield and then summon Miranda to deliver a message. Of course, then she transformed into a Saber-tooth Cerberus to cause lots of havoc. It was lots of fun, but she was not doing much else. She is more useful on the table.

My experience with Skinwalker.

I have used a vulture to get into the backfield and then summon Miranda to deliver a message. Of course, then she transformed into a Saber-tooth Cerberus to cause lots of havoc. It was lots of fun, but she was not doing much else. She is more useful on the table.

Vulture is a Nicodem specific totem....so even though it is a beast, Marcus can't hire it. And why would you hire any totem other than the JACKALOPE!?!? It's the best!!

I could see the value of (hopefully Raptors will still be quick to get there) hiring Killjoy and Myranda with Skinwalker. Raptor flies to the enemy side, gets killed and out pops Killjoy and Myranda.

What I hate most about it though is that there is no way to kill it yourself....you have to wait for an enemy to kill the beast for Skinwalker (or Killjoy) to activate. A smart player will just ignore them....however, knowing that those two models are waiting for release will make the enemy think twice before killing anything.

Mei could've just railwalked out of there though.

Yes, but she was trying to kill things. Not much can stand up to the kind of assault Mei can bring. But, smart use of Myranda's Huntress for the Waldgeist kept him alive for 2 turns vs the Rail Golem....Huntress and Defensive Stance on Cojo kept him alive against one turn of Mei's attacks....and SS use on Myranda with her naturally high Df kept her alive for one turn of Mei's attacks.

They probably could have lasted even longer....the Waldgeist was unharmed, Myranda had only taken 2 dmg, and Cojo was down to 2 wds left (but comfy with H2K....and Myranda getting ready with Primal Flame)......but I had secured enough VP by that point that there was no way Mei could win, even if she left to do other things, and it was late, so we called it.

Mei was not surrounded. The three beasts were in a line with Myranda in the center.....the Golem was at one end with the Waldgeist, and Mei had charged Myranda and moved so she could also engage Cojo.

with the beta a new huge beast have arrised from the res.

Rogue Necromancy.

It can be compared to our beloved ceberus and see what we win with this beast for one SS and what we lose.

Defense:

-1 def, but a negative flip to the dmg rolls and them cant be cheated, I think is a win. Is HT 3 so if shoting melee is easier to hit him.

terrifing 14. much more reliable than 11.

Movility: lose of the jump and unimpeded, but keep stalk and win 2" to the charge actión, this may be a lost, depends on the map.

Ofensive:

Ranged atack, this is a win win, 12" range and a neat dmg with blast chance

Melee 7 ( 1 higher than our tiger) higher dmg and a triger that make it even high thanks to poison(qhen counting on poison I add +1 dmg to the maths even if it adds 4 counters) so its about 4/6/7.

the lose of maul, is something to consider, but wining a ranged atack is a good thing

overall, is worth that extra SS?

This discussion should really be in the playtest forum.

I think leap is sort of what makes the cerberus - being able to get out of trouble, or to move quickly to strike on a key turn. So for being so similar, I think they'll play very differently.

Can't forget that the RN has a decent shooting attack with splash damage (works with three-headed). Against some opponents, that's amazing. I could envision there being times when Dawn Serpent + RN would be very handy.

Smell fear + terrifying 14 is a huge boon against anything living. Impossible to wound means it'll be rare to get significant damage against the cerberus.

I think overall, the cerberus is a slightly better fit in a typical marcus list. In a list built around a bit less speed - maybe using some hoarcats, waldgeists, cojo, the mauler, etc.., the necromancy could be a great fit.

This discussion should really be in the playtest forum.

:+fate

Agreed. Let's put PT info where it belongs and leave the Marcus thread for stuff that is finalized. As soon as everything is final with Wave 2, I'll be back in here giving my takes on all of the new beast options. And hopefully so will others. Putting things in here will:

1) be confusing to new players looking to utilize this thread in the future (since I guarantee you that nothing in Wave 2 is set and will most likely see changes), and

2) be missed by the developers. They're looking in the PT section of the forums for PT feedback....not over here.

Hi folks,

Today on http://playitlikebeatdown.wordpress.com/ I have a look at how my mind works when choosing a Marcus crew for a particular situation (using a random example).

Hopefully you'll find it interesting, and maybe it'll inspire you to try and analyse your own subconscious thoughts.

WARNING: If you read this blog post, you enter into the realms of my mind. That is not necessarily somewhere you want to be.

Enjoy

Dave/sssk

Hi folks,

Today's blog post at http://playitlikebeatdown.wordpress.com/ is sponsored by the local pet shop. It's all about how to keep a rabbit. Actually that's not strictly true. It's mostly about throwing your rabbit at big monsters and getting it killed. Maybe the pet shop should've read the post before sponsoring it...

Enjoy

Dave/sssk

P.S. small disclaimer, I'm currently suffering from a near fatal case of man flu, so if the post doesn't make sense, that's why... honest

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

There's a new post up at http://playitlikebeatdown.wordpress.com/ applying Joel Henry's speed theory to my core Marcus crew, to look at it from a different perspective.

Hopefully it's quite interesting (I certainly found it interesting to write), and it might help you to approach models in a different way, looking at more of the potential within them.

Dave/sssk