Marcus Suggestions.. What Works?

Clyde_Davis

So, I've just acquired my fifth Malifaux crew and it so happens to be Marcus... I've put a list together, and I just want to see what the rest of 'Team Marcus' have to say!

Here's the list:

Marcus

Blessed of December (8SS)

Ama No Zako (8SS)

Shikome (8SS)

3 Night Terrors (9SS Total)

That leaves me with 2 spare SS, giving me a total cache of 6SS.

Should I include the Jackolope? Is the 1SS trade worth it for the totem?

Firstly, and I always say this, MAlifaux is not a game where you get its best by using a fixed list. It can be played that way, but you will be handicapping yourself. And some models are good for 1 thing, but not another.

Interesting fast moving list.

Useful for several strategies.

Firstly in my opinion the Jackolope is ALWAYS worth it. Its a pesky little thing that does far more than it ought to. (Gaining grounds Beatdown may change my opinion of this, but I'm still thinkign about it as 1ss for an activation is pretty good).

I normally only go with 2 night terrors. I don't think the 3rd adds enough on its own.

Other people play it differently and reckon 3 is the right number. I've not been convinced enough to buy a second pack to try it though.

Don't have the totem yet myself but from what I've read from others, he's a bargain at 1SS.

I'm currently in the camp of Marcus holding Kearis' handbag for her and him just being a beatstick, picking minions off and completing objectives. I've found the night terrors are great objective grabbers/holders. No experience yet with the Blessed and Amo, sorry. The other model I'd say to check out is the Arcane Gunsmith for some ranged control.

I have run 4 night terrors, mainly for line in the sand and land grab under Gaining Grounds rules. I don't expect them to survive the game but good for flipping the dynamite then sticking around preventing it from being disarmed and also for reinforcing counters/quarters with their flock together

As ever though, the list you take depends on the strat and master you're facing

Edited by Malal

I almost always say to take the Jackalope.....if only for the comedic value. But it is great for blocking and tying stuff up.

In this case, not sure it's really necessary. You have several 8ss models which cuts down on model count...and you really want to be careful about letting those models die...both of those things make it less likely that the Jackalope will respawn.

You'll have to be careful not to get stuck in or leave your models at too much risk. Everything in your list will die pretty quick to any kind of concentrated assault...even two lower cost minions could be the end of any one of yours.

Use Marcus as a floater to assist your 8ss models (or vice versa)....the Night Terrors are so quick that they can usually take care of themselves....don't be afraid to sacrifice a Terror if needed.....to hold up some heavy hitter. With Spirit and H2K they can be surprisingly resilient.

Most Marcus lists (including this one) excel at strats and schemes where you need to get places and do things.....less effective at any of the killing objectives. If you need to kill something, you need to seriously pick your battles.....hit and run.

I dont play Marcus but I don't think I've played against a Marcus crew without a Jackalope. A lot of people swear by Silurids and companion chaining 3 of them can be tough for a defender to deal with. With M2E around the corner though it will be hard to tell how we'll these models will work together until we see some rules.

I'll echo what the 1st response was there is no 'the list'

Jack - buy it, if I bring marcus I bring this, there is no maybe or not, I can't see a single reason not to ever.

Silurids - A useful pack, try not to use them overly offensive despite the ability to double dip on attacks, they do function better as hit and run

Slateridge Mauler - Some people don't like him much I like him, at 7 stones he's a pretty good offensive piece and I'd recommend looking into it - he can be surprisingly devastating

Waldergiest - Armour 2 and forest shenanigans, in a 6 SS minion, I don't take these nearly enough. Anytime they hit the board they do a lot of heavy lifting for 6 SS taking a lot off punishment and dishing out a fair bit...don't get too sucked into the forest parts and think that's all they're good for

For the ranged support you have 3 main choices imho, Gunsmith which is versatile and adaptable, may sometimes feels a little glass cannonish but hard to kill helps, as does concealed weapon. You have the convict for the same cost, a little less adaptable and less subtle, but you get on a run of masks and watch people cry....rapid fire and suppression fire all add to my recommendation but this is crew 5 you know all about convict I'd hope - 3rd choice is McTavish, long range and reckless and not a slouch in combat, an extra stone but remember with the right crew wrangle critter is very nice.

Other pieces to consider, the rouge necromancy, pricey and could end up very dead very easily but a dangerous piece and can pair up nicely with myranda to double up on its main feature, Willie is a great piece for crowd control and area denial/punishment, Lazarus I wan to try with Marcus I can see that being a nice all-round piece and worth it's stones

• 3 weeks later...
Waldergiest - Armour 2 and forest shenanigans, in a 6 SS minion, I don't take these nearly enough.

With Marcuses (Defend Me) Defense Trigger Waldergiests make Marcus nearly invincible to defense duels. If you get hit its almost always a negative flip then the low damage is transferred to the Waldergiest where its 2 less for armor...yep do that all day.

Oh don't forget to charge in with Strength of the Eagle from (Upgrade) Gods Domain and hit 2 of their guys (Making them Beasts) and be nearly invincible in melee.

I'm actually going to address this issue in the main M2E form.

Nighthater

With Marcuses (Defend Me) Defense Trigger Waldergiests make Marcus nearly invincible to defense duels. If you get hit its almost always a negative flip then the low damage is transferred to the Waldergiest where its 2 less for armor...yep do that all day.

Oh don't forget to charge in with Strength of the Eagle from (Upgrade) Gods Domain and hit 2 of their guys (Making them Beasts) and be nearly invincible in melee.

I'm actually going to address this issue in the main M2E form.

Nighthater

You do realize that this post is NOT in the M2E section? This is a 1.5 thread.