Hugor's Unstiched Experiences (Good-Bye Tax Return, Hello Puppet Wars)

Hugor

So, I decided two nights ago while playing a particularly brutal game of Malifaux that I would get Unstiched (I needed something fun to play after being totally slaughtered).

Having read the rules, I know my girlfriend (who is not really a gamer) and my gaming group (which does not really play tabletop games) will probably enjoy this version more than original. Plus I have a massive amount of models coming at the end of the year (Kingdom Death, Arena Rex, Da Clash! and whatever minis Wyrd may have at Gen Con), so I decided it would be better for me to get this now, so I can get them built and painted over the summer break, and so they don't get looked over at Gen Con with all the other pretty things that I am sure will be there.

I have created this thread just so I have a place to discuss my thoughts on the game play, model building, and painting process of this remake of what was one of my favorite games.

I have also decided to pick up the Battle Foam tray, so will review that as well when it all comes in.

• 4 weeks later...

So, Unstiched was on my porch when I got home from work today, and I was overall very happy with the simple physical quality of the product.

Pros:

• The box is much bigger and of a much higher quality. I can pull the old box out of my stash of boxes if someone wants a comparison picture.
  • The information on the back of the box includes pictures of models, the board, and the cards. It also includes a brief description of the game.
  • Fate Deck are the same high quality as before
  • Terrain Tokens are plastic and far more visible than before and labeled.
  • Board is much bigger and of far better quality (colors, image, etc...)
  • Miniatures (while in a ton of pieces) are beautiful.
  • Character cards are smaller (which is a plus in my opinion) and easier to read.

Things that Could Been Better:

• Exhaust tokens are still card board. Slightly better and bigger than before, but still not really durable, and not really enough for bigger games.
  • Rule book is similar to before, and I kind of wish this was bigger.

img_0827.jpg?w=300&h=225

img_0828.jpg?w=300&h=225

img_0830.jpg?w=300&h=225

img_0832.jpg?w=300&h=225

img_0836.jpg?w=300&h=225

img_0838.jpg?w=300&h=225

So have spent some time with Puppet Wars Unsitched over the past few days. Have worked on creating some custom basis, shamelessly stealing from the one's Mako showed in the most recent Chronicles.

post-8716-1391192977853_thumb.jpg

I have also built one of each model, and really feel like the majority of these models are far superior to the originals. I am a littler underwhelmed with Pokey Viktoria (not sure why she has the hunchback / huge neck thing going on), the Judge (who seems to be missing part of his left arm, but other than this oddity I really like him) and the Silurid (who grew weird whisker things, which I have simply removed since I like his cute face). But other than that, I really like all of the models. I especially like the Austringer, the Guild Marshall and the Executioner. I think they really shine at the new size. The Rattler is probably the best, and I am really looking forward to painting these, and can say that they have been a joy to paint thus far.

post-8716-13911929778941_thumb.jpg

Also, played my first official game of Unstiched today, and was extremely pleased. The game moves much faster for a number of reasons, and is far more streamlined and easier to explain.

• The change in Exhaustion (Puppets are only Exhausted if they take an Action) is a brillent idea and really allows for more movement and some interesting choices.
  • The change to the animation card (drawing it into the hand and then selecting) also speeds things up, especially now that all of the AR costs are so low.
  • The reduction in AR really allows a player to have a good choice regardless of the Animation Card, which speeds up the game, and makes it more fun.
  • Having lower ARs made it easier to throw high cards into Dodging and Cheats, which made the game more enjoyable.
  • Upgrades are much easier to explain and since they are accessible from anywhere, everyone can use What Pretty Buttons You Have (without becoming exhausted), and you can attach an upgrade after killing a model, I feel like they are going to be far more utilized in the future.

I also feel that many of the little changes that I did not notice until playing really help the overall flow of the game.

• Only being allowed to animate from an unoccupied workbench, helps in explanation, since I was always reminding people of the Master Workbench rule, and then trying to explain why they couldn't animate one space away from the Workbench when it wasn't occupied by the Master.
  • The removal of the Blocking rule is great, and speeds things up.
  • The removal of the :fast actions also removes a lot of the confusion, especially since there is no longer the odd I am not animating but I am going to take one move or one action nonsense. Am curious on how the Guild Hound is going to be changed, since his upgrade and the Austringer used to be one of my favorite combinations.

Hope to get a few more games in this week. The real test is a game with my girlfriend, which will probably happen this weekend (I hope).

Edited by Hugor

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Alright, after a way amazing trip to Alaska, and an insane busy start to the school year, and a fantastic Gen Con, I am finally getting back to painting and working on puppet Wars. Spent a good bit of time today finishing up Lady Justice and Seamus and am really pleased with the results.

As I mentioned in another post, while I know I have grown a lot as a painter since the original version of this game, I feel like the new models are far easier to paint and have so much fun detail that they are all just screaming to be painted.

Anyway, here is what I have as of now...

img_1302.jpg?w=300

img_1303.jpg?w=300

img_1304.jpg?w=300

img_1306.jpg?w=300

img_1305.jpg?w=300

Edited by Hugor

• 3 weeks later...