purchases for seamus

Cjm1174

Im getting back into the game after a short hiatus and am looking to buy a Seamus crew now i just wanted you guys to give me some thoughts on my selection as a basis to start a decent sized crew, here is what i was thinking of getting:

- the starter box

- some crooked men

- some hanged

- the grave spirit and copycat killer totems

- and Bette noir

is there anything else i should add or take away and replace

thanks in advance

Chris.

Don't buy the Copycat killer, unless you like the model. In a mechanical sense he's pretty worthless.

Bete Noir is just too expensive for me in a Seamus crew, he NEEDS stones to function.

Crooked men are good.

Honestly the best thing you can buy if you want to play Seamus is his avatar. it just flat out makes him better.

This advice is pretty much coming from a competitive standpoint however, please ignore everything except the advice about his avatar if you are mainly a casual player. =)

Well the Drowned have proven themselves to be solid minions in any Resser crew, and a Desperate Merc is handy for a cheap corpse counter --> Rotten Belle, plus he shoots things and heals a nearby model when he inevitably dies.

I'm also a big fan of the Shikome (the rules, but not the model...dear god not the model), although Bete fulfils Shikome's role pretty well too. People also talk about taking the Dead Rider or Izamu, although I've had little experience with either because I tend to avoid the popular models. :P

There's also Avatar Seamus, which seems to be regarded as what makes Saemus a half decent choice now.

One thing to keep in mind though - with Malifaux 2nd edition and a public playtest imminent, Malifaux is in a state of flux for now. Options that might seem good with Seamus now may wind up being less so in 2nd ed, and visa versa. So the best approach might be to just grab what you like and/or what fits best with Seamus's theme. ;)

Copy Cat Killer is actually amazing. He is 2 Points for a second Flintlock. I get that his Stats are bad. But Consider the Fact that he has Companion with Seamus so you can Out Activate the Other Player. He can Switch Places. But here is the real Kicker he is a potential Corpse Token to Summon a Belle With and the fact that can be a Dead Doxy is actually Pretty amazing right now.

Seamus is just solid by himself so you can buy anything really.

Yin, the Penangalan is pretty sweet in a Seamus crew. Float, pretty sweet mass of viscera ability giving all attacks against her a negative flip, Anathema and she can give something with Terrifying Anathema. She gives out WP penalties in melee and has a pretty sweet set of triggers and such. Not to mention she's the purdiest lady in the crew! Haha.

I'll stand by my assertion that the CCK is trash. For the same points I can get a desperate merc, which actually is amazing. Companion doesn't let you out activate the opponent, it actually causes him to out activate you faster. You can only switch places IF you have LoS, Range, and a specific value of suited card in your hand, which makes it unreliable, which makes it pretty bad. Also, how are Dead Doxies, another pretty bad model I never Hire or summon, combined with the CCK a good combination? Not asking in a sarcastic "omg total noob" manner, seriously interested if I missed something in them.

Rotten Belles, Desperate Mercs, The Grave Spirit, The Dead Rider, Yin, and Izamu are all really solid choices for Seamus.

Also his avatar, have we mentioned his avatar. :)

Fetid, could you elaborate on why the Doxy is bad? I've been hiring in a suite of 2 Rotten Belle and 1 Dead Doxy and the Doxy has done very well for me. Perhaps I am missing some key fact because I am new. She has range, which is something I am happy to see in a Resser and her 0 action is really solid for movement and an occasional Seduce/free attack. I rarely get the Seduce off, but that's not really been a huge fault. She's tough, doesn't do wretched damage, has range and is pretty hard to take out.

I have nowhere near as much experience in the game as most players, though. So I could be totally off base. I am just curious why you consider her defunct.

Also is the CCK worth taking for Seamus's scheme with him? You'd have to burn a high card to hit and probably another to kill something but is that worth 2VP? (Curious.)

The Scheme is a great way to Punish Low Defense Models the trade off is most have Armor but hitting them is worth it. Getting to Change Seamus, CCK, and a Belle Together is a lot of actions back to back Like I don't Know getting Treasure not only picked up but back to your own Deployment zone Fast. He isn't for everyone I agree but I still think he offers more to a crew than other Options I agree if your Running Hanged or Syblle you should probably use a Grave Spirit but even then I still like him over the spirit.

Avatar Seamus is fun but Not Needed and for a Master that has a small Cache The avatar is not worth it if you intend on smashing in a lot of High SS cost models like Hanged and Yin. Just my thoughts.

It is the Internet and people will Disagree. I am not saying what you are doing by not running CCK is wrong just Defending the Model and the use of Doxies.

You've got the basics.

There are really 2 kinds of builds, and they dont really work great with models combined.

Molly is great as a henchmen in either build.

Belle based. Pretty self explanatory.

combination of Belles, Doxies, and a Crooked Man or two as Lure works great with Shafted.

Fear based. Not to be used against crews that are immune to morale duels.

Molly, Hanged. Yin. (crooligans if desired)

This build is all about debuffing WP a silly amount, and springing mass auras which send the models fleeing.

Worst case, your opponent has to burn their entire hand cheating the morale duels.

I love Bette and try to include her whenever possible.... worth the 9 SS but not a must include.

i think ill stick with rezzers as my faction i love their fluff and their look but where master is concerned that is subject to change as im considering nicodem or mcmourning as well so any ideas for those two as well would be a big help thanks guys

I trust Fetid's instincts on Seamus... They have some sort of "get a room" type love affair.

My first question is... Are you trying to eek out as much power from his crew as you can or having an "ok" crew that might be fun?

I love Seamus too, but in total disclosure I have only brought him to one actual tournament that had more than 10 people and I only went 1-2-1 with him, so I am far from someone that can really speak to his current competitiveness.

His Avatar *IS* awesome.

My experience in a tournament with time controls?

He was on the table for maybe 1 round a game before the game ended so he had very little impact.

Full Disclosure: I am a slower paced player that likes to chat and Korrosion, TekDekay and I were sneaking in whiskey in our coffee cups at the store we were at between rounds. (Sorry Nilus. Seems like a common theme for us at tourneys. I swear, I drink more playing Malifaux than I do playing SOFTBALL! (I know, right?))

If you are not trying to be super competitive or know that you will be facing a mostly or all living crew, then Molly is a model that many of us like having in a love-hate relationship.

I'll be more than happy to discuss my views of the current version of Seamus if you want to PM me. Additionally I haven't exactly been silent on my views of Seamus, so if you search the resser thread you can easily find my views.

I will say if you are going to play the base version of Seamus, buy his avatar. Don't even think about it. His avatar is not only really good, but it is exceptionally balanced and just plain FUN.

I was gonna post something messing with you (Fetid) about not playing you if you refused to bring Seamus' totem because of fluff reasons...just to tease ya about the whole MacMourning/Guild thing...but I thought you might take it too serious. ;)

Edit: to add something legitimate to the thread, I really like Izamu with him. But, hell, I like Izamu with everything.

Edited by Sevorin

It's cool. I'm not bothered about it. I desperately want the CCK to be good in the next edition. I'd be willing to make Wyrd multiple white chocolate cherry cheesecakes with crushed graham cracker crusts if it would happen. I'd also promise to do a Snoopy dance at the next con I was able to go to for their edification.

I'd also offer them some services, but I don't know how much Wyrd needs the services of a Lighting Designer. *wink*

Seamus is pretty fun, but is not currently competitive. Hopefully we will not have too much longer before we know how he shapes up in the new edition (open Beta starts at the end of the month, right?)

McMorning is great but has relatively low synergy with the other Resser models. Not that he needs it. McM can rip through just about anyone with ease. Go for him if you're looking for a "Elite" play style.

Nico is one of my two favorite masters in the whole game. He has fantastic synergy with just about everyone undead and his paralyze is worth his weight in gold. The new TT models, Izamu, Toshiro, Ashigaru and Yin, become over-the-top good with him (Yin with Df8 is a beauti...uh...amazing thing).

Seamus is pretty fun, but is not currently competitive. Hopefully we will not have too much longer before we know how he shapes up in the new edition (open Beta starts at the end of the month, right?)

McMorning is great but has relatively low synergy with the other Resser models. Not that he needs it. McM can rip through just about anyone with ease. Go for him if you're looking for a "Elite" play style.

Nico is one of my two favorite masters in the whole game. He has fantastic synergy with just about everyone undead and his paralyze is worth his weight in gold. The new TT models, Izamu, Toshiro, Ashigaru and Yin, become over-the-top good with him (Yin with Df8 is a beauti...uh...amazing thing).

I like him too.

The Scheme is a great way to Punish Low Defense Models the trade off is most have Armor but hitting them is worth it. Getting to Change Seamus, CCK, and a Belle Together is a lot of actions back to back Like I don't Know getting Treasure not only picked up but back to your own Deployment zone Fast. He isn't for everyone I agree but I still think he offers more to a crew than other Options I agree if your Running Hanged or Syblle you should probably use a Grave Spirit but even then I still like him over the spirit.

Avatar Seamus is fun but Not Needed and for a Master that has a small Cache The avatar is not worth it if you intend on smashing in a lot of High SS cost models like Hanged and Yin. Just my thoughts.

It is the Internet and people will Disagree. I am not saying what you are doing by not running CCK is wrong just Defending the Model and the use of Doxies.

This is also the internet and you should be able to write so that others can understand you. Sorry for the attack, nothing personal, but look at your writing.

On-topic: vulture96 said it pretty good: two main builds. But they can be mixed. And remember Samurai Punks: cheap beatsticks and if you get them into position to Flurry (eg. via Lure), they do murder.

Other than that, Nicodem is the coolest master imo. The model is so beautiful that evena conversion freak like me has huge difficulties meddling with it.

Edited by HtUnliving