Guild's 7 Masters.

Jonas Albrecht

The issue with McMourning's crews could be handled either thematically (players simply choosing not to have both model types at once), with suspension of disbelief ("oh noes, zombies, where did they come from? Oh, but they're attacking Rasputina, I guess the enemy of my enemy will become fodder to hide our tactical withdrawl!") or just a rule on the card that notes that if he highers X Guild figures or Death Marshals or whatever that he has restrictions on the Resser figures he can hire at the same time (perhaps no Undead with Guild? Though I'm kind of fond of the idea of being able to field a mixed crew for rampant shenanigans... even if I'm not super excited to buy a dozen+ figures to do it myself).

... hell, if I'm honest, I'm kind of hoping I can snag his sculpt and maybe an extra figure or three, enough to add options, not so much as to become a financial burden or eat up too much extra space in my now pretty well packed battlefoam bag.

Edit: that's mostly my line of thought on Lucius as well; no interest in playing him as Neverborn outright, intrigued to see if there are any Neverborn models he can still hire while Declared as Guild, and what of those I might be willing to pluck some foam over (seriously, running out of space here).

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see McMourning entering into Guild with a severely restricted Resser hiring pool - probably Nurses, Sebastian - with as someone mentioned earlier an emphasis on crew buffs and survivability over summoning. Otherwise, I just can't see it making any sense.

But I think this new dual faction element will be slightly different than the one in place for 10T - I saw those hiring allowances as basically a) accounting for the synergy between a master and their appointed crew and B) making up for the fact that 10T would otherwise have a very small selection of models. Here I think it will have a more thematic purpose, but no idea yet what that may be, though I imagine if McMourning runs as Guild, his model selection will be largely restricted to Guild models with only a few exceptions.

Personally, not a big fan of McMourning and Guild together. Will see how it comes out and is explained though.

As for Lucius and the Neverborn, I see it being two routes. One is the one alot of people have guessed at a long time that he is a secret Neverborn, the other and one I think might be more interesting, is he AFTER the Event, has gone into some deal with some branch of Neverborn. I like to think of him as less of some monster behind a mask, or in human guile, as a Man ruthlessly willing to get his goals accomplished. Maybe he finds out about the Tyrants and strikes a deal with the Neverborn on the matter. Maybe he reveals some artifact he had acquired *Maybe by McCabe with out the relic hunter realizing how powerful it was* that allows him some sort of influence on certain types of Neverborn. I like the idea that he is still very much a man, just one willing to cross words and wit with monsters as others would swords.

So here's what I think you'll see something like this in a McMourning crew

Might be a bit premature to start making McMourning-Guild lists, don't you think? At least wait until the public beta. ;)

From what I've read on this thread, some people seem unconvinced that McMourning will be dual-faction Guild?

Let me clear that up - McMourning is DEFINITELY going to be Dual Faction Resser/Guild. It's been said outright by Mack & Justin on several podcasts now. :)

The actual implementation of McMourning being in a Guild crew will be interesting though. Either his summoning will move to Resser-only upgrade cards, or the good Doctor will have some explaining to do to to his Guild Pals...

"Those undead are clearly part of the opposing crew, honest! Just...don't kill them quite yet, okay?"

or

"Yes Lady Justice, we defeated the undead menace...unfortunately all the Death Marshalls you supplied me with died during the mission."

In theory, Lucius might face the same problem if he gets to mix Guild and Neverborn minions. Mind you, that assumes anyone in the Guild is brave enough to dob him in. ;)

Hi Rathnard,

Thanks for shedding some light on this. Well, here comes our newest master. Hm... now I have three months to figure out just how awesome this is going to be until we find out for sure :). Even though I'm not sure it totally fits my interpretation of the fluff, I think it opens up lots of gameplay possibilities. Moreover, Wyrd writes the fluff so I'm sure they know what's what :)

On the face of it I dislike McMorning being a Guild master. Yes he is employed by the guild and lives as a member of their society but he is employed as a mortician and not an enforcer and keeps his powers and martial prowess a secret from his employer.

That said I look forward to seein how Wyrd make it work and im going to guess at some kind of CSI like team with McM as the lead investigator

On the face of it I dislike McMorning being a Guild master. Yes he is employed by the guild and lives as a member of their society but he is employed as a mortician and not an enforcer and keeps his powers and martial prowess a secret from his employer.

That said I look forward to seein how Wyrd make it work and im going to guess at some kind of CSI like team with McM as the lead investigator

Nah...He's just the blood spatter analyst. post-4275-13911929317524_thumb.jpg

I LOVE the idea of McM in Guild. He's always been a Guild employee after all.

Crew construction will be interesting. I do expect his crews will be allowed Sebastian and Nurses.

I love the idea of starting a game with some Hounds and Marshalls or Guild Guard and winding up with Canine remains and Autopsies.

Not least because I already have all that stuff somewhere :)

Different opinions I guess. I might come around to it eventually, but currently I h8 it enough that unless I'm convinced after seeing the rules in the open beta I'd probably refuse to play against a guild based McMorning crews, unless it was in a Tournament.

Personal opinion is all. Those who like the idea are certainly not wrong in their views, and are certainly entitled to be fans of the change. Given the fluff this feels so wrong that to me it would be akin to Voltron landing actually landing in one of the official stories, and it turned out that Disney's Cinderella was the pilot.

I'll have to re-examine after seeing the rules.

Buh?

Right now I can take a Guild force with Perdita leading a group of Witchling Stalkers and an Executioner, which isn't really mentioned in any fluff at all.

I see no reason for you to react so harshly to someone taking an option that they want.

I LOVE that McMourning can be taken by the Guild. I'm really looking forward to it!

And you are entitled to your opinion, which is totally valid.

Just as my absolute loathing and contempt for this change is totally valid. McMorning MURDERS guild agents in every story he is in. He reanimates their remains as walking blasphemies, and if they found out about him he wouldn't last 5 minutes if he was in their midst, let alone let him lead their forces.

As I said I'll have to re-examine after I find out what the rules allow. Maybe it won't be so bad if he isn't allowed to hire ANY resser minions except Sebastian or summon any undead it won't be so bad.

We will have to wait and see.

And you are entitled to your opinion, which is totally valid.

Just as my absolute loathing and contempt for this change is totally valid. McMorning MURDERS guild agents in every story he is in. He reanimates their remains as walking blasphemies, and if they found out about him he wouldn't last 5 minutes if he was in their midst, let alone let him lead their forces.

As I said I'll have to re-examine after I find out what the rules allow. Maybe it won't be so bad if he isn't allowed to hire ANY resser minions except Sebastian or summon any undead it won't be so bad.

We will have to wait and see.

Everyone is entitled in their opinion, but its kind of a Buzzkill if someone wants to play a game with you with their fun Mcmourning Guild list and you say "NOPE" to their face. They aren't beholden to your perspective of the fluff.

McMourning Murders Guild Agents, yes. Perdita players like myself should have been playing these last few months with a Comatose Master too. Lucius is the Guild Secretary, but I'm not so sure that the Guild members are supposed to know about his magical potential, How many Guild agents has Lucius had silenced?

That is true, but I'm not beholden to theirs either. I play the game to enjoy it, and I almost cannot express how much I dislike this change. It's only one thing, and like I said If McMorning cannot summon or hire any resser minions outside Sebastion when he is leading guild forces, then it might be fine, if he can, well, call me what ever you like but I refuse to play against it.

I guess. I just don't know how much you can apply the fluff to each game.

I mean I've used execute on a bunch of guys who keep appearing in the fluff. What BS is that?!

It's like playing Syphon Filter back in the day. If someone was wearing body armor, only headshots or burning them to death with the taser would kill them. One of the main villainesses was wearing body armor. I shot her square in the face with the shotgun. Next scene, they're interrogating her. Looking pretty good and sounding darn talkative for someone without a head.

It's like playing Syphon Filter back in the day. If someone was wearing body armor, only headshots or burning them to death with the taser would kill them. One of the main villainesses was wearing body armor. I shot her square in the face with the shotgun. Next scene, they're interrogating her. Looking pretty good and sounding darn talkative for someone without a head.

Looks like she wasn't going to be the Head Villain anymore

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I guess. I just don't know how much you can apply the fluff to each game.

I mean I've used execute on a bunch of guys who keep appearing in the fluff. What BS is that?!

Official fluff in the srories and model descrptions put out by Wyrd can't really be compared to the scenarios played between you and your friends. Up until this point there is no indication that McMorning would be put in charge of guild troops and working in the morgue dosent really qualify you to take control of government forces and go take care of business.

As it stands I don't like it any more than I would like Zoraida or Ramos leading guild troops but my mind can easily be changed if the story and reasoning behind it is good enough.

Official fluff in the srories and model descrptions put out by Wyrd can't really be compared to the scenarios played between you and your friends. Up until this point there is no indication that McMorning would be put in charge of guild troops and working in the morgue dosent really qualify you to take control of government forces and go take care of business.

As it stands I don't like it any more than I would like Zoraida or Ramos leading guild troops but my mind can easily be changed if the story and reasoning behind it is good enough.

As a Chief Coroner, McMourning probably has enough Authority to requisition Guild troops when doing work at the scene of the crime for security reasons.

I mean his playstyle of sacrificing his own troops to make better troops will probably be still there and you probably want to take the less elite Guild troops (Easily sacrificable mooks like Guild Guards) in order to create necromantic monsters.

McMourning murdering guild troops to spawn horrible monsters to fight with? That actually sounds MORE like his background rather than less.

+1, if the story is good enough to explain why Lady Justice allows McMorning to lead the Judge and some Death Marshals into combat, while allowing him to raise undead constructs on the battlefield, without instantly ordering her troops to take his head, then I might buy into it. Currently I don't see how that is possible.

And people refuse to play certain things all the time because they don't enjoy playing against it. I would have absolutely no leg to stand on in a tournament, but in friendly play, I play the game for enjoyment, and I would enjoy playing against McMorning as a guild master as much as many people in the past edition would have enjoyed playing a gremlin's crew against Old Pre-cuddle Hamlin. Refusing to play against something I don't find enjoyable is a perfectly valid request in anything other than a tournament.

Also, if the Guild identify him as a Master he'd fly straight up the ranks and have way more pull. They probably mistake him for a healer though.

Still think he should have Animosity Death Marshall as they'd be able to sense his necromantic side.

FS, it's a bit early to react to something non of us have seen yet! :P

Edited by Mergoth

Also, if the Guild identify him as a Master he'd fly straight up the ranks and have way more pull. They probably mistake him for a healer though.

Still think he should have Animosity Death Marshall as they'd be able to sense his necromantic side.

FS, it's a bit early to react to something non of us have seen yet! :P

I don't know. The Death Marshals keep being eluded by ressers with a disturbing regularity :P