Free M2E stats cards in pdf format are worth fighting for .. don’t You think so?

caen

To be honest I think it is ridiculous that people are slamming Wyrd for charging for faction decks.

Wyrd have a free version of the rules and sets of cards online for the current version with no charge! If they were being "greedy" surely they wouldn't do that right? Wyrd are a business!

And if you are so against paying for the decks, use the rules out of the book (like, for example, GW codexs). Yes it is laborious but tough luck if you are not willing to pay for the card (my view anyways). At least you have the option to buy the cards.

For the record I am neither a henchman nor do I work for weird.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decks are great, I for one am looking forward to replacing my cards this way. The down side is I own 95% of all the models for 3 factions + Outcast stuff and used the hard lamination at FedEx, all that money lol. Gonna need to redo them again. Or just buy a good lamination machine.

@ericjgames Will we get digital versions of the new faction decks?

@tigerstyle40k Our goal is to have a digital option for cards/rules...in time

Two question then:

1. in time means exactly when?

2. digital option means free downloadable PDF?

SilverBulltet states:

"Wyrd have a free version of the rules and sets of cards online for the current version with no charge! If they were being "greedy" surely they wouldn't do that right? Wyrd are a business!"

and I only expect/wish that WYRD will not change their policy.

Edited by caen

@ericjgames Will we get digital versions of the new faction decks?

@tigerstyle40k Our goal is to have a digital option for cards/rules...in time

Two question then:

1. in time means exactly when?

2. digital option means free downloadable PDF?

I THINK he's talking about a mobile app, similar to the War Room app for Warmahordes. So not PDFs, but an app with all the cards and a crew builder and stuff for tracking wounds and things in game.

Also "in time" means they don't have a timeframe, it's just something the plan to do when they have the resources available.

\/\/\/ I don't believe so, but that is my interpretation.

Edited by HalcyonSeraph

I THINK he's talking about a mobile app, similar to the War Room app for Warmahordes. So not PDFs, but an app with all the cards and a crew builder and stuff for tracking wounds and things in game.

so it is not the solution I am asking/fighting for

Another fact: I have heard in podcast that Faction Decks will be cheap - very good. But in this moment I collect and play: Guild, Neverborn, Ressers, Gremlins, Outcasts and Arcanists. Will together the six Faction Decks (which I need) be cheap? I have my doubts.

I think it's pretty unreasonable to assume you're not going to accrue opportunity costs when you got into a miniatures game, probably knowing full well that they were expensive to begin with, and then decide to play almost every single faction.

Seriously, how did you think that would ever result in any "cheap" options to maintain?

I want a pdf, but I'll have one even I have to scan the cards myself.

I find having a mobile copy far too useful to not have one.

An app will not cut it.

I make no request the pdf be free. However, if they're going to charge for both physical cards and pdfs, I'd like the cards to come with a coupon for the pdf...

I want a pdf, but I'll have one even I have to scan the cards myself.

I find having a mobile copy far too useful to not have one.

An app will not cut it.

I make no request the pdf be free. However, if they're going to charge for both physical cards and pdfs, I'd like the cards to come with a coupon for the pdf...

I think a full featured app would be better than pdfs. Consider that in a game you're dealing with 5-10 cards, flipping between them, marking wounds and burning and such, I think an app is more convenient than raw pdfs.

@Mako, card sleeves are better- pens eat into laminate, so you'll wear out your cards in the long run. I even put my laminated cards (I like that it makes them rigid instead of foldy) in sleeves

I never played enough to make that a problem, even with Kirai's wound track *grin*

I prefer laminated to sleeved, specially when I'm scribbling on them. Faction decks might actually make that easier, I'll at least be able to replace cards when I ruin them. Heh

I fail to see how $8 is a material expense when you have spent hundreds on the collection in the first place.

I will pay $8 just to not have to ever see Drain Souls ever again! :D

And calling Henchman PR men - ha - if only you could see all the grousing that goes on amongst Henchman! As those most heavily invested in this ecosystem, we are by far the most critical.

I fail to see how $8 is a material expense when you have spent hundreds on the collection in the first place.

And calling Henchman PR men - ha - if only you could see all the grousing that goes on amongst Henchman! As those most heavily invested in this ecosystem, we are by far the most critical.

So all cards for all my 6 fractions will cost me 8$ - fine, so there is no problem for me.

What People opposing free PDF are missing is the fact that Public Beta Testing will probably base on free rules and stats cards in PDF format. So WYRD will have to prepare such materials and allows free distribution (please correct me if I am wrong). So it will be not a hard work to make a little changes after Public Beta and still offer cards for free. And once more time I will stress: I love spending my money on WYRD products but instead of purchasing cards I prefer purchasing models.

Edited by caen

I think what would be of real value, is (if anyone remembers the warmachine/hordes mk2 field test) is a simple pdf of the cards, while they were replaced as the books/faction decks came out, they acted as a transition from one edition to the other. I think such a pdf would be greatly helpful, they dont replace the cards in any sense, but cushion the blow of having to replace things that theyve already had to pay for.

changes are great and all (potentially) but noone likes having to pay the same thing twice regardless of how much the cost is

I'd take an $8 Outcast Faction Deck over $.50 per card plus shipping. I'm excited. I wouldn't mind a PDF, but I love supporting this company. I've had the privilege to watch this game grow. M2E shows some promises that make me excited and glad that my husband and I stepped up to start building a group again in Indiana.

PR for Wyrd... lol...

Homie don't play dat.

Heck, I can't even say nice things about myself...

Free PDFs would not bother me at all. Its like trying to argue that software piracy ruined the software industry. (see: Dumb-ass Assertion)

When its all said and done, more people is good.

Want to play in an event? Pay up.

Want to play at the store with the henchman and all the other people there? Pay up.

Saw the game at a store and want to see what its about? Download away baby! Give it a whirl. Like it? Come on down to the store and join the rest of us... There is a tourney next weekend. (Pay up)

I like the idea of people trying things out. It keeps the burden of models remaining competitive and useful on the company, where it should be.

IMO, people WANT to buy useful and fun things. Keep making them and people will keep buying. (Until your wife starts checking your credit card online after your every trip to the store)

Edited by Gruesome

I think what would be of real value, is (if anyone remembers the warmachine/hordes mk2 field test) is a simple pdf of the cards, while they were replaced as the books/faction decks came out, they acted as a transition from one edition to the other. I think such a pdf would be greatly helpful, they dont replace the cards in any sense, but cushion the blow of having to replace things that theyve already had to pay for.

changes are great and all (potentially) but noone likes having to pay the same thing twice regardless of how much the cost is

And thankfully, from my understanding, that's what the beta is going to do. Give us the cards and the rules. After the final changes have been made, you can always edit the PDF to reflect the changes, unless something major is done. :D Plus there are going to be two waves of the beta. Both betas should include all the cards (again, from my understanding). A person could just collect the PDF cards and then make the changes after the second beta wave... or just wait to by the new faction decks after everything is finalized.

When PP did their open beta for Warmachine & Hordes, rules and cards were available as PDFs while it was happening. Card and book changes happened on a daily basis for a short time, but there was absolutely no art and all of the fluff was missing. I'd guess Wyrd will do something similar. When the beta closed the PDFs were removed and there as a bit of tweaking in cards and rules when Faction Decks and the rulebook were released. I was fine with the way that PP's beta went and I hope that the Malifaux beta goes as well or better.

Good luck with the beta and I'd just like to do a bit of crying for it to be released at least 2 weeks early. :)

These guys are fans, not employees. Many of them have openly criticized wyrd.

I see you've witnessed some of my posts... >.>

Also, why do people keep throwing around this $8 figure? Last I heard, there wasn't an MSRP for the faction decks. An expression that they'd like to keep them affordable/reasonably priced, but no hard pricing structure.

Then again, as someone who owns almost the entire Guild faction, I admit some trepidation towards needing to presumably also sleeve 100'ish cards. I mean, it's only $10-20 or so in clear M:tG card sleeves (as I've heard they were looking to move towards standard card size), but it's a potential expense all the same, plus the new Book 1 and 2, and whatever else might come up. It's not unreasonable to see that as a significant barrier to entry just to update to the new edition.

Actually, forget sleeves, if they did them in plastic so we could use dry erase markers right on the cards without worry, that'd be pretty sweet.

It's not unreasonable to see that as a significant barrier to entry just to update to the new edition.

And this is a point: for couple of months I will be buying card and protectors instead making my collection of MalifauX models even larger.

An astute observation. I for one relish the decline of Drain Souls haha

Also rather astute XD

~Lil Kalki

A nitpick: I'd refer to the henchmen and henchwomen as generally heavily invested, let's not make a ...... err, you know what measuring contest about who is invested how deeply.

Generally, being on the forums alone is an indicator of being pretty heavily invested in something. The vast majority of fans of anything generally won't go anywhere near online forums. I doubt more than a couple percent, regularly or ever.

Just wanted to stave off that potential little back and forth with some regular non-HM/W with ten times most people's post count. >.>