Malifaux 2.0 Through the breach transcript highlights

Well I think the S.S. hand debate has about run its course. It was interesting to see peoples opinions on it. I still feel the option to drop a bad hand for a S.S. would be a great 1, and people would use it but whatevers. Someone said what if you get like 1 or 2 high cards (Sorry I don't have your name). Ya then you wouldn't us it. I mean I think some people would even be willing to gamble with only 1...7 or 1...8, I would. As for the card attrition of the 2 card draw, Im not following it. Isn't dropping 6 cards better attrition then dropping 2 for 1 S.S.? Anyway the whole point was If you get screwed with a bad draw you have a chance, and some like it some hate it....HHmmm standoff. This issue was not that close to my heart, I just liked it. I was listing like this...

1. My games changing...and I'm not happy with all I've heard. (This knocked the old 1 down to 2 at M2E announcemnet)

2. Worst V.P. scoring ever...me about a year ago, they need to change the V.P. system so that hidden schemes are worth more and anouncing is maby 1/4 of the total. They should go for max V.P. being 3 and announcing being and extra 1. Hidden schemes are almost pointless since 1 announced success is (Usually) worth 2 hidden. Also they need to rebalance schemes as it seemed like steal candy from a baby 2 V.P.s or fistfight a great white in the deep ocean 2 V.P.s have the same points allowed but slightly different dificulties (The slightly exagerated example I kept saying). Anyway they addressed the issue which is awesome and no one will believe a year ago I complained anyway, so we all win. For the love of god M2E drop the "distract" individual and shared strats, they make the worst games I've ever played.

3. They need to make you play models from your box crew...As Justice is my declared master the fact I have little to no synergy with martials is funny. As an example I kinda wish Justice had to run 3 martials, Sonnia had to run 3 stalkers, Perdita had to run 3 family to promote division stability, but whatevers.

Nighthater

Edited by NIGHTHATER

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Night hater,

No idea what you mean by "Distracted" schemes and strats.

The scheme list hasn't even been revealed yet, so saying it will be the worst game ever based on something you haven't seen is, as has been pointed out in this thread repeatedly, rather silly

Mike

EDIT: Do you mean the strategy "Distract"?

I think NightHater was talking about some of his complaints about Malifaux from a year ago.

I disagree with your view on playing the box though. Death Marshalls can already boost Justice if you want to field them together (she is a death Marshal so can benefit from Finish the job). I'm happy with that sort of positive encourtagement to field theme crews, but I would not want you to be forced to take them every game. I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks which way Wyrd are going

It should also be recognized that the Guild master and minions being heavily interchangeable, while not exactly unique to the faction, certainly seems to be more easily swapped about that many other factions and masters.

Other than Hoffman whom I usually run as a highly synergistic construct based crew and Lucius whom has the obvious restrictions, Perdita, Lady J, Sonnia and McCabe have massive variety in what they can bring with them.

That versatility is a perk (intended or happenstance) of the faction, in my eyes. While obviously all of the factions do have some intermingling, I've yet to see a Collette crew fielding a massive pile of Rasputina's usual suspects the same way Family members can often be found working with damn near anyone on the Guild side.

TL:DR; The Guild's crew building options/versatility are a feature, not a bug.

I still kinda feel like having a hand full of bad cards is just part of the game. Certain masters (Peredita,etc) have specific abilities to help bypass this, but most masters are stuck with the hand they draw. This is one of the unique features of Malifaux 1e. No dice, cards you can cheat with.

Yes, sometimes your hand sucks. But if you are holding 7 bad cards than statistically you are more likely to draw good cards during your turn.

Mute point anyway, we will all find out how the cards lay in 15 days.

Mike3838: Thank you I did mean "distract", that was a poor oversight on my part. Ya I ment the scoring system up till M2E. The new V.P. system for M2E is the best thing I've read so far.

Adran: I don't see them making you play your own box, don't worry. As for "Finish the Job" believe me Justice pretty much never gets it and heres some reasons why. In the order I think is right.

1. When its your turn to go you pretty much have to activate Justice 1st to drop threats before they bomb on you.

2. Its not really worth the 1 A.P. the marshals are usually shooting.

3. People will give you anything before they attack Justice by going to her, so you always have to go to them. I mean anything their girlfriend, unborn child, their car, their house, their own hide, I mean its freaken redicilious I swear they will not rush her.

Forar: I agree with all your post. I know its not a bug, I just like the thought of division unity. Like soldiers you don't see an army general on the field saying, "Ya Im just running Navy guys today." For a while I though Nino was a master because I saw him in every guild crew, but I don't see this issue ever changing so it whatevers.

Micahwc: True, bad hand draw are a part of the game, but their doing something with the S.S. card draw anyway so I though my option was better overall...but it scaled at like 50/50 more or less a standoff.

Nighthater

Edited by NIGHTHATER

I fully support a move to a Malifaux where people don't routinely take a full 8 SS, for two reasons:

1. The idea was that you'd take the models you wanted, and the left over would become cache. This solves the granularity issue of SS costs. In other games, points you don't spend on models are wasted. In Malifaux, you still get something for left over SS, so it's not so bad. If everyone always takes 8 SS, that effect goes away.

2. Games are about choice. Real choice. Choice where you need to think, and take into account the circumstances to make the right decision. Right now, taking 8 SS is almost always the right decision, and never the wrong decision. That's not a real choice, that's a "skill testing question".

That's only true with certain masters. With Hoffman? I'll take a wather over 3 extra stones every day of the week. With Sonnia? I'd sell a witchling's soul to be able to bring more than 8. I can always make more witchlings.

With outcasts? I'm gonna take at least a few stones, since I have no cache. With Lillith or Perdita? You probably don't need to bring more than the cache because she doesn't really need them.

Ramos? You may have a difficult time deciding on a spider or 3 stones. This is a good dilemma.

I can't see that kind of spread changing much--some masters are always going to want them more than others.

I almost always take full 8 with Lilith, sometimes I will drop it as low as 6. The reason for this is that when I use transposition against an enemy, I don't want it resisted ever. (Not a problem if I move my own guys though). Also, sometimes I want to cheat my defense flip to over-the-top ridiculous high.

I rarely use them offensively, as I can just attack you again; however, I use them to make sure that nothing can hit her back.

Then there are the Rezzers. With Nicodem I always take full cache becausevI can cheat Reanimator for more ss models (with Exhume ofcourse). And so that he had a snowvalls chance in hell to survive.

The ss-for-cards-rule and removing ss-heal are awesome rules,can't wait till beta to see the rest.

• 2 months later...

Necro: TL;DR, but I remember the same grumblings when people started playing Malifaux that it didn't have pre-measuring. Then we got used to it. Now it's getting pre-measuring, which is going to save a lot of arguing.

What may cause arguments, though, are the newer LoS rules. If they go by the center dot of the base instead of the drawing any lines from the base to the target approach, without being clean bases with pre-marked center dots (like in Heroclix), then the center dot can become very arbitrary, and tends to lead to what the model can see.

Necro: TL;DR, but I remember the same grumblings when people started playing Malifaux that it didn't have pre-measuring. Then we got used to it. Now it's getting pre-measuring, which is going to save a lot of arguing.

What may cause arguments, though, are the newer LoS rules. If they go by the center dot of the base instead of the drawing any lines from the base to the target approach, without being clean bases with pre-marked center dots (like in Heroclix), then the center dot can become very arbitrary, and tends to lead to what the model can see.

Nowhere in the new rules does it state LoS is drawn from the centre of a base.