Holy poop, malifaux 2.0!

DeleteAccount

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just got into Malifaux in the last month, and buying all the books i have to say i'm pretty annoyed. I've only just started getting used to rules and new ones will be out soon!

Are my books gonna be useless? If the cards are getting redesigned my current ones seem a waste...

I guess if you've been playing a while this is great...for a newbie, not so much.

Having just got into Malifaux in the last month, and buying all the books i have to say i'm pretty annoyed. I've only just started getting used to rules and new ones will be out soon!

Are my books gonna be useless? If the cards are getting redesigned my current ones seem a waste...

I guess if you've been playing a while this is great...for a newbie, not so much.

Sadly this will happen to someone. It's the nature of any edition change. You get hit this time. Is this your first game though? Have you never been the before or after of an edition change in another game? It happens. It sucks. But be excited for where it is going!

And if the fluff and stories in the books is not reprinted in the new books, it means that the old books still have SOME purpose, even if it isn't a gameplay purpose. If you are a purely game oriented player and care not for the story, then yeah. Probably useless. But you can probably off load them to someone else.

I am excited a out new rules new masters and new models. However I dread the thought at having to replace 100+ stat cards...

I dread it too, but I also look forward to a standard size so I don't have to get my cards all re-laminated!

Funny/sad side effect: the Battlefoam bags have spots explicitly intended for the current stat cards. Sigh.

Well I hope they will now release faction specific card sets when they update the model rules and not expect us to pay extortionate shipping prices for new ones. Otherwise game popularity will once again die in my area and I personally would have just wasted a load of cash which is something that use to happen with a certain other company

Do you think the current starter boxes and models will still be on store, or will they be replaced with new models?

I imagine it will be a mixture of the two over time. It's not like we'll get to GenCon and there won't be any new miniatures to sell. Since they state there's new masters, they'll need a release, but I imagine some of the old models will be redone in plastic. Even if the plan is to make everything plastic, that will take time, so other metals will be available in the meantime.

Sadly this will happen to someone. It's the nature of any edition change. You get hit this time. Is this your first game though? Have you never been the before or after of an edition change in another game? It happens. It sucks. But be excited for where it is going!

And if the fluff and stories in the books is not reprinted in the new books, it means that the old books still have SOME purpose, even if it isn't a gameplay purpose. If you are a purely game oriented player and care not for the story, then yeah. Probably useless. But you can probably off load them to someone else.

Good point. but i'm only likely to read the fluff once. I just hope i don't have to spend a fortune getting updates to stats i already have - buts that everyone - not just me. Been through this with GW...can't imagine it'll be anywhere near that bad!

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

I pray for purchasable pdf cards. The cost of buying cards in the UK is horrid

Also unlike most games, people do run multiple factions here because its so much cheaper. The new cards should be FREE for pdf and cost for decks. Otherwise replacing cards for 3 or 4 factions could be like £30-40...thats the cost of 2 starters!

Sorry to be negative, but right now the news makes me not want to play the game...until the new version comes out proper.

Just got the e-mail. Super awesome! I'm really excited for if (when) they re-release Book 1 Masters in plastic, as if the current quality of sculpts is anything to go by they should be amazing! Also, the new Candy(?) on the e-mail looks super-creepy!

- Valtyr

Malifaux 2nd edition is coming! If you want to be one of the first to play it and provide input, we'll be having a public Beta for your shuffling pleasure. (More details on the Beta below.)

Yey!

Streamlined, Updated Ruleset.

Clarified rules interactions and Model Actions.

Excellent!

Upgrade Your Models / Customize Your Crew.

That's right, keep your favorite model fresh and competitive for years to come.

Interesting!

New Masters.

From the current Henchmen getting promoted, to fresh faces like Tara, the Herald of Obliteration!

Love it.

Gremlins a Faction?

You bet!

So good.

Easier to Read Card Format.

Every model updated to a new, easier to read format. No more searching through the books. The cards are standard sized as well, making them easy to sleeve for dry erasing.

This is actually pretty telling, I think. I'm willing to bet we're looking at a bit of standardization of abilities, or abilities listed on cards in symbol format.

Story Moves Forward.

Find out what happens to your favorite characters, see the new alliances formed,

Eh, none of this sounds terrib...

and discover new Tyrants!

I am really looking forward to this.

Definitely sounds interesting. I hope the changes aren't too drastic, but I look foward to fixing any flaws with the game and/or rebalancing of certain models. There are lots of little rules that could use some cleaning up and some rules that need better explaining. I really like the standard card size. That always annoyed me, as I had to use dice to record health instead. Looks cool.

Also, VON SCHILL AS A MASTER!!! Rusty Alyce as henchman?

Malifaux 2nd edition is coming! If you want to be one of the first to play it and provide input, we'll be having a public Beta for your shuffling pleasure. (More details on the Beta below.)

Yey!

Streamlined, Updated Ruleset.

Clarified rules interactions and Model Actions.

Excellent!

Agreed!

Upgrade Your Models / Customize Your Crew.

That's right, keep your favorite model fresh and competitive for years to come.

Interesting!

I'm Definitly conflicted here. Could be awesome, could be bad. Trust extended.

New Masters.

From the current Henchmen getting promoted, to fresh faces like Tara, the Herald of Obliteration!

Love it.

Honestly, aside from just making Von Schill a master already, I'd be more interested in making some of the minions henchmen--(Sam Hopkins, Cassandra, etc.)

Gremlins a Faction?

You bet!

So good.

You mean they weren't already?

Easier to Read Card Format.

Every model updated to a new, easier to read format. No more searching through the books. The cards are standard sized as well, making them easy to sleeve for dry erasing.

This is actually pretty telling, I think. I'm willing to bet we're looking at a bit of standardization of abilities, or abilities listed on cards in symbol format.

I hope they don't go with symbols, but "The cards are standard sized as well" doesn't bode well. The only hope I have that they haven't gone symbol crazy is "No more searching through the books" and that isn't much. I re-iterate: If they do go symbol crazy, the most likely effect will be me not picking up 2.0.

Story Moves Forward.

Find out what happens to your favorite characters, see the new alliances formed,

Eh, none of this sounds terrib...

and discover new Tyrants!

I am really looking forward to this.

I am cautiously looking forward to it myself.