Yan Lo - A New Resserectionist Arises...

Valtyr

Hi all,

I am very interested in playing with Yan Lo and, with my two main crews being Ten Thunders and Relic Hunters, I feel he would be a welcome alternate that utilises very different game mechanics from what I am used to.

Having said that, and despite having quite a lot of Malifaux experience under my belt, I find myself getting a tad confused when trying to digest the more subtle machinations of Yan Lo. Due to this, I was hoping to ask fellow Path players as to what they find to be the most effective way of playing with Yan Lo, and how they go about making the most out of his small, but very elite, crew.

My gaming group play almost universally at 35SS and the crew I am going to be running as a general all-comers looks like this:

Yan Lo

- Soul Porter

Chiaki

Izamu

Toshiro

Ashigaru x 2

Any general advice on getting the most out of the above would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks!

- Valtyr

Yan Lo NEEDS to be around models that are dying first and foremost. He gets pretty nasty all charged up, but dies quickly....if you haven't absorbed any ancestors. So you want to pretty much be a protective bubble around Yan Lo and keep within 5-6" of him.....careful of Toshiro's Teki o Juden-it makes a slow crew very fast, but leaves Yan Lo behind to play catch up. And you can't afford to be out of that 8" range of an ancestor dying to not summon them again. I've lost games because I'd push them up, then kill stuff too far away for chi and then see them die forever. It takes a few games to get used to.

If you have a lot of rezzer experience, you will very likely not be prepared for just how crazy fast Ashagaru with Toshiro are. The amount of movement tricks this crew brings (porter push spell, Chiaki's push spell, Toshiro's push spell) means that it's very easy to shoot out of your Chi collecting zone.

Also pay attention to your back ups for resource gathering. Chiaki can gather Chi for Yan Lo, and the Soul Porter can gather cards for him. Use them to make sure you have good coverage of your own crew at least in case of deaths.

Lastly, Toshiro is really the "Rezzer summoning" heart of this crew. His attrition style of play is great for grinding down any opposition. Be sure to have a punk zombie or two handy for him to summon, because he makes them completely absurd (who doesn't love cb7 with :+fate:+fate on the attack flip?) Honestly I might consider actually paying for one punk zombie (heresy I know) in the crew if only because Toshiro is so good at pushing them into melee so they can flurry on their turn and very likely get 3 conflict tokens for him.

being new to the game (be gentle) i have also got this boxed set inbound, by saying 'heresy' to take a punk zomb is that because it detracts from the Japanese theme? If so cant you sort of just make a themed punk zombie? sorry if im reading this wrong. but having read this, i too am a 'fluff/theme' player but i also like to win, and that zombie combo thingy seems nice!

being new to the game (be gentle) i have also got this boxed set inbound, by saying 'heresy' to take a punk zomb is that because it detracts from the Japanese theme? If so cant you sort of just make a themed punk zombie? sorry if im reading this wrong. but having read this, i too am a 'fluff/theme' player but i also like to win, and that zombie combo thingy seems nice!

It's heresy because most people don't pay the 5 stones for a punk zombie, but turn a corpse counter into one instead. In my experience this corpse counter is usually right next to one of my models, so it's already in combat and next turn it can flurry if you win initiative.

They're name is Samurai Punk Zombies, they're definitely fluffy with Yan Lo and the asian theme. I say play around with them n see what you like. Otherwise take Toshiro. He gains a conflict token when an undead model within 6" deals damage to an enemy. With 4 tokens and a 9+ crow, he can summon a SPZ.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've decided to change up my crew composition somewhat. After seeing how awesome the model is, I felt that I simply *have* to include Yin, the Penangalan as not only is her model rather amazing, but her ability to reduce Wp, Terrify and use Disengaging Strikes to keep the enemy in combat is rather brutal.

My new crew, as it is, looks like this:

Yan Lo

- Soul Porter

Chiaki, the Niece

Izamu, the Armour

Toshiro, the Daimyo

Yin, the Penangalan

Total SS = 7

I would use 3 of Yan Lo's starting pool to put into the Ash(?) tree, ensuring he gets Regen 1 and Df 7 straight from Turn 1; then it would involve moving Izamu and Yin up the board to engage the enemy crew, with Toshiro providing a dedicated Attack buff to maximise damage. Chiaki would provide support, whilst allowing Yan Lo to stay behind his Ancestors until his Chi reaches a level that allows him to go a little bonkers on the enemy crew.

Your thoughts guys?

- Valtyr

Paying for a punk zombie is a good idea to start with as it does help fill your model count for your crew and remember playing a well put together rezzer list one of the key factors is out activating people if you take all expensive models you are looseing one of your key factors witch is attriction so take some Canine remains for activaition and in a pinch corpse counters

I haven't tried the full ancestor pack, but I can share my experiences with Toshiro. He's a fantastic buffer, and really benefits from having a few Ashagaru or punk zombies to build counters with and keep him safe. Running him without minions will mean you will need to be really careful about building up conflict tokens. Between the two lists, I'd say start with the first (from the OP) for any kind of slaughter or take and hold mission, then swap in Yin later to try her out.