Metal Gaiman yay or nay?

pixelante

So I picked up a box of these almost on impulse, I mean I had heard they where ok, but I hadn't really read the rules.

So now that I have had a look at the card I am just not feeling them. Maybe its partly the look because they really don't fit any of my crews, I really don't like the "metal skin" look and this might make me reconsider the Rail Golem too. In fact I think I might look for a Warjack or something like that instead to use as the Rail Golem.

Anyway its not just the look because I am having trouble imagining how they are gonna get used with Ramos or Khaeris because they are definitely not going in my Showgirls crew.

In fact I think I might look for a Warjack or something like that instead to use as the Rail Golem.

Same here :)

As for the gamin: I think one can come handy in every setup, even with Colette. ('Handy' doesn't necessarily mean it's the best choice you can make, but it's unlikely that you'll regret the 5ss spent.) I still struggle to justify two, because I'd call for something more pro-active for 10ss, and it's beyond my depth why they come in boxes of three. Rules-wise, Protective and Hard Case is one thing, but Df5 Arm2 HtK and the (0) movement trick make the gamin a pain to get rid of. In theory, they make excellent roadblocks, especially if you're able to pull Small But Fierce once in a while and/or you're able to heal them, but it takes the right crew to capitalize on having 10-15ss in road blocking and using the scrap when they die...

Yay!

For Mei Feng they're great, resilient jumping points for rail walker and they can soak up damage from the rail golem or something else that gets a lot of attention. They're difficult to kill and can heal themselves.

Kaeris can't take them unless she gets hired by another master.

For Rasputina, and probably Ramos too, a metal gamin can be a great little bodyguard.

I've only run them with Mei and Kaeris (well, Marcus, but his speed meant it had to protect Kaeris instead) and only 1 gamin in each case. I really like them, largely because they're so hard to get rid of. Defense 5 is not awful, armour 2 is great, a healing flip with a positive for a 1 action is tastey. Mei being able to jump to it is great, and the (0) charge is handy (though don't expect them to actually hurt anything).

They definitely aren't an auto include in all strategies. For instance I'd probably rather have a silurid than a metal gamin in land grab (obviously when using Marcus), and for 1 stone more there is a lot of goodness you could take (eg willie, gunsmiths etc), but I often find room for one. Especially in beatdown

Ah, the metal gamin. Basically, they are cheap arcanist versions of the guardian. They fill nearly the same niche for a lot cheaper, but they don't have the same level of protectiveness(they can't give armor to others). In return, they have a bit more combat effectiveness and movement(companion and a 0 charge!)I usually take one if I have a meedium speed big model that I know is going to get ganged up on(Like Joss, or Rail Golem), or a master with weaker defense against someone who can get near them(like Ramos vs Lilith).

Also, and totally aside, for some reason, they look like three models that are completely unconnected, with no theme other than "hey, rivets." If I use more than one, they don't really feel like they are the same model, as one looks like a lizardman from Legend of Zelda, one looks like a Silent Hill reject, and one looks like a pygmy cannibal islander. All good ideas, nice models, just missing cohesiveness.

Hmmm well I guess I should try them out before completely dismissing them. As a side note the Wolsung minaitures have some great looking clockwork servants which I like the look of, the mirror golems even work for a showgirl crew, though I think I'll just mod a regular servant to be carrying a mirror or some kinda prop.

Yay they make the squishy arcanist masters playable (marcus essentially object two, ramos armor2 + object 2, Raspy object 2 plus bear skin cloak), they make slow book 1 models able to get into the fight (joss and steamborg executioner).

Good first jump points for mei. Collette is really the only masster/henchmen that doesn't gain a lot by them but she doesn't really need anything from them either.

Yay they make the squishy arcanist masters playable (marcus essentially object two, ramos armor2 + object 2, Raspy object 2 plus bear skin cloak), they make slow book 1 models able to get into the fight (joss and steamborg executioner).

Good first jump points for mei. Collette is really the only masster/henchmen that doesn't gain a lot by them but she doesn't really need anything from them either.

Can you expand on this. How do you make them object 2?

they aren't really object 2, but the metal gamin has a spell called hard case that shunts up to 2 wounds from a friendly model to itself. functionally it can be seen as similar to giving the friendly model "object" as they are taking 2 less wounds.

the metal gamin can healing flip itself (with positive flip) every activation to keep it alive while doing so.

one paired with Mei (or any other armored target) can be very nice, iron skin on Mei giving Armour two, then pushing 2 wounds onto a Gamin, you'd have to do five to do one to Mei. The gamin can then heal itself on its activation ready to start again...

also they can headbutt Lady J to death! ain't that right Scuttlebutt

I also agree they miss cohesiveness which is really disappointing I only have the "skink" one, and it does look very "metal" to me

Edited by OTP

I've got the spikey one, which I'm pretty happy with.

I find they work insanely well with Mei. As they can companion together, either the metal gamin walks in (using its relatively good walk) and then Mei railwalks off it to get punching (all in one activation), or Mei goes in (or is already "in") does some punching etc, then with her insane melee range, there's usually something in melee with her, so the gamin can (0) action charge to get to her, and then go protective.

I don't think I've actually lost Mei since getting the gamin... lost the gamin a few times though

Thanks guys yes I now understand what you mean. I have tried them and they are pretty resilient but that is about it. Including one with Marcus may be a good idea though since they can soak up wounds out of him and make him a bit more resilient. hmmm I might try that today

The only problem with Marcus is that he can (he doesn't always want to, but he can) move nearly twice as fast as them, so he's either anchored to the gamin, or else he's scampering off and not getting the benefits.

You could always link it to someone in his crew (though they're often pretty nippy too). I would have thought a metal gamin and Ama No Zako (when she comes out at the end of this month) would be pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...

I played a game yesterday using 2 Metal Gamin and a Brass Arachnid to support a Steamborg for shared treasure hunt. Ramos and a Soulstone Miner were mainly support.

Steamborg held the treasure counter from turn 1 to turn 6 when I lost initiative to McMorning and a red joker cheated into the damage one hit the partially wounded Steamborg.

My opponent did not like the Metal Gamin. The pair allowed, in one turn, the Steamborg to take charges from 2 Necropunks and 2 Punk Zombies, with all four undead models dead by the end of the next turn (there were many flurries involved on both sides).

I really enjoyed using them and plan to see how else I can play them with Ramos.

<edit> I realized the Steamborg only help the treasure from turn 2 to turn 6, not turn 1. I felt this correction was notable.

Edited by Nalend

Just a small update on my Mei-Metal gamin thoughts:

Any crew I take for any strategy when I'm using Mei starts off with Mei, emberling, metal gamin. Those 3 models work so well I simply can't justify not taking them (the emberling even comes along to beatdown!).

I still don't really use the protective abilities much. Mostly my gamin walks, heals itself, and occasionally charges for a (0)... though usually the enemy model is dead before the gamin gets to make the charge. It's such a good rail walk point with Mei, I can't even begin to describe. I haven't tried them too much with anyone else though.