Airbrushes and compressors

Boshea

Interesting indeed, it's not just me then! ;-) That's why I made my Airbrush medium suggestion. Same as yourself with the airbrush paints, one less variable. After my red experience I ordered a Model Air red online. By the time it came through I've not needed to use red again (just using it to prime, do large pieces/block in colours) but glad I've got it now because it completely blocked mine (you're bubbling at the tip sounds like a block) and had air leaking out everywhere and don't want to go through again that in a hurry!

All my other paints have been fine with the medium (again, didn't have that when doing the red) so for my own uses I'll only go airbrush specific paints for any problem paints or often used ones that spring up.

Incidentally when I had completely gummed up my airbrush I tried acetone, household ammonia and just about every other household cleaner I could get my hands on and nothing quite got it right, there was still leaks. I thought, in fact, that I'd got everything but the harsher stuff had maybe killed a seal somewhere. I didn't have any Isopropyl alcohol so can't vouch for that but a couple of spots of Iwata Medea airbrush cleaner pretty much immediately cured it. It was fairly cheap and I hardly use any of it to get it clear so I see it as a worthwhile investment.

My advice to anyone starting out would certainly be go airbrush specific at first where possible. Getting to grips with it can feel a bit like wresting an octopus with air pressure, paint consistency, additives, cleaning, the dual action control, brush/model distance, etc. so, trust me, you will appreciate anything that simplifies things at the start.