Undead Constructs and the counters they drop ?

Drool_bucket

Question

So, I did some searching here and didn't find a solid answer.

Most undead constructs clearly state on their cards what kinds of counters they drop if a Scavenger and/or Graverobber are in play. Necropunks, SPAs, Dead Rider and a Steamborg all come to mind.

My issue is with Dust Storm from Ash & Dust from Rising Powers. Ashes & Dust and the Ashen Core both have specific rules that prevent them from dropping counters.

Dust Storm definitely does not. And it's not a Spirit. It is an Undead Construct.

So, assuming both a Scavenger and a Graverobber are in play, and Dust Storm is Killed, what counters does it drop?

Two of each?

One of each?

Two of the owner's choice?

Two of the "killer's" choice?

I have heard a lot of suggestions and theories but nothing definitive?

Thoughts? Does anyone have something they can quote too?

14 answers to this question

I don't have the card with me, but I can venture a guess--it would never be 2 of each, because even a 50 mm unit only drops 3 counters.

IIRC, it's 40 mm., so if it drops counters it would drop either 1 of each, or 2 of one or the other.

Personally, I don't think it's meant to drop any counters.

More likely, Levi will bring Hoffman in a brawl, and he'll be close enough they can just ignore that part of the card.

I'd guess, in a situation where the requisite abilities are, for one reson or another, ignored, 1 of each for a 40 mm base, and when it doesn' come even, 1 more scrap than corpse- i.e. 1 corpse, 2 scrap for ashes and dust.

Last time we hashed this out it, iirc, was generally agreed that despite clear intention, the rules say that it would drop 2 of each.

Graverobber makes it drop 2 corpses. Scavenger makes it drop 2 scrap. Neither references or prevents the other. There is no rule that limits drop to base size.

If this were to come up in a tourney id rule it drops 2 of each if both a grave robber and scavenger were in play. Even though it probably isn't the intent it is per the rules as far as i can find.

P.S. it was the game the Drool_bucket and i played in that this came up. In the casual game we decide to <gasp>, use dice to decide.

Yeah, I read all three of those threads. The closest we get to an "official" answer is in your first link in which Ratty declares that if there is a conflict (like Dust Storm offers us) the card will say... but it doesn't.

Now, I understand that's from 2011 and things have changed a bit.

The other two threads are conjecture, really. I guess I just have a real problem with a cloud of evil dust dropping more counters then any other model in the game... a couple body parts and a couple piles of metal while the Ashen Core gives up nothing... it's a fluff thing that frustrates! Just give Dust Storm spirit and be done with it!

I have no problem playing that it drops 2 of each because the clearest (and IMO best) interpretation is that neither Graverobber or Scavenger are exclusive rules. I just want Wyrd to get on it and fix it! (right after Nekima, obviously!!!)