Vassal Game Flow

dirtycrabcakes

So, I downloaded vassal and installed everything. I started a fake game to try and get a handle on the controls. I guess where my problem is, is understanding how the game is supposed to flow.

Do you write messages saying "activating Yan Lo. Move 8 inches, use zero power..." then when your activation is over, you just notify the person you are done? How smooth do games go? I was trying to figure out how to observe an online game last night, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

When using vassal you can type what you are doing to your opponent, but it is generally much easier to use something like ventrillo or skype to simply talk to your opponent.

With voice communication, the game flows pretty much the same as a normal tabletop malifaux game.

OK. I was going to try and do it on my ipad (via remote desktop) but it sounds like that would be difficult without skype or ventrillo

It's definitely possible with a willing opponent, it'll just take longer. One of my semi-regular opponents doesn't have any VoIP and doesn't want it either. So we just play 25ss games that take about as long as a 35ss game normally would. Text doesn't convey emotion well though so be sure to word things well ;)

Regarding your inability to figure out how to observe games, I've had the same difficulty and I am wondering if perhaps it is just an issue of not many people using vassal yet so there aren't any games for you to observe in the first place?

Also, do you experienced guys suggest keeping track "at home" of what's going on in the game? In other words, when a model takes a wound and receives a negative buff do you mark the wounds and buff on the model in vassal AND on your character physical character card which you keep by the computer for abilities referencing?

In other words, when a model takes a wound and receives a negative buff do you mark the wounds and buff on the model in vassal AND on your character physical character card which you keep by the computer for abilities referencing?

I feel this would take too long? You can mark everything up nicely in Vassal, memorizing the hotkeys gets tedious sometimes though.

@crabcakes - I'm usually on Vassal with a LFG flag up if I have free time, then I just do other stuff and if someone messages me (and I'm not afk) I take the game. If a game is up it'll show as a folder below the main room that you can then right click and "Join Room" to observe.

Also, extremely long 25ss games are to be expected when learning the rules. It usually takes me 90-120 minutes for a 25ss game now, tops. Of course it depends on the opponent but assuming both players are familiar with the rules that's about the timeframe in my experience.

Edited by Ryu