Casting resin bases...

mcmourning san

Hello all, I am new to building miniatures and painting; I have purchased a few pewter bases but it is starting to get a bit expensive. I heard a friend tell me of casting your own bases from resin after having the pewter ones to make the imprint. I have since lost contact with this friend and I have no idea which supplies to do this and where I would be able to buy them from. Can someone please provide me with this information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Points again ^^^ at the copyright infringement comment...

That being said... I think your kind of looking at it wrong. Your aim is to save money. Your not going to be saving if just making a few bases. The supplies to mold and cast is not exactly cheap. If your just doing a crew or two you will spend more then just buying the inserts.

Points again ^^^ at the copyright infringement comment...

That being said... I think your kind of looking at it wrong. Your aim is to save money. Your not going to be saving if just making a few bases. The supplies to mold and cast is not exactly cheap. If your just doing a crew or two you will spend more then just buying the inserts.

Very true. The advantage is for saving time on rebuilding custom bases.

Like they've said, the mold material can run from $10 to $30 at decent craft stores, and the resin runs about the same prices, depending on the volume you purchase.

With that being said, making molds of existing things is a good learning experience towards customizing your own bases. Check out YouTube for several great tips and techniques.

Cheaper still, though, would be to browse other companies' custom bases that are not pewter, as they tend to be much more affordable and usually are available in greater quantities for their price.

Depending on how fancy you want you can always make your own press molds for bases. I tried this for two, one for Bamboo flooring and one for woven mat flooring. Did not do to bad, I still use the woven mat one for Misaki's stuff *Though I will likely make a new one with stiffer rubber at some point for better presses*.

I tend to use Alumilite's two part mold putty. It sets up in about three minutes or less, so you have to work quickly. It works well for resin, hot glue, or even plaster.

Made quite a few rock bases (actually casts of the three pack of 30mm blue translucent ice bases, can't remember the company atm) using plaster for Misaki and her rock ninjas. It was all part of using up the extra plaster while casting bricks for a castle and pirate fort project that has been on hiatus for a bit.

i use a stuff called smooth-on... it works really well i suggest trying it...

i say mold the bases. i get the copy right infringement thing and i get your ripping someone elses stuff off and i get that, especially being a maker of things myself but the other option is to pay a lot for all the bases... you could spend that money buying other products from the company instead. ive casted things and parts of other things before to use in multitudes of projects. i would however highly recommend not selling the stuff.. in fact its kind of like burning cd's. i dont think its technically illegal if your using it for personal use after owning the original set of bases..

also a base is usually a one part mold... simple... once you get into two part molds or 3 part etc etc... it becomes far more disadvantageous compared to your time and money.

i just got done snapping a bunch of pics of my last molding operation... i will post up my process on my blog in the next few days ...

www.livetocrush.com

Have to disagree there cloudfang, casting something someone else made and sells isn't like copying a cd. I look at it this way; if I wanted eight gaki for a swarm list, is it wrong to buy one pack of two and cast them repeatedly? I say yes, because I'm cheating the people that made it. Bases are no different really, they're still the product of other people's effort that you're choosing to use without any form of recompense.

Casting something you make yourself is a great idea - I'm all for making a base or a part yourself and casting it rather than making it dozens of times. But not copying someone else's work.

also a base is usually a one part mold... simple... once you get into two part molds or 3 part etc etc... it becomes far more disadvantageous compared to your time and money.

By two part I am referring to using binary compounds, not a two part mold. Mix component A and component B together, roll it kinda flat, and press the bases into it. Let it set for a few minutes, then just pop the original out and begin casting with plaster, resin, etc.

There are other tricks you can find. As Ive been a mini gamer for a LONG time Ive seen alot of different things people dont think about. Going to a forest/wooded area near your home can bring you a cache of awesome material, from tree bark to rocks or sand. You can use cork to make rock thats not as hard to work with. You can use basa wood to make planks like an old Western Town.

yea... i guess i hear ya mako... it is plain out wrong... i get that... again.. its a process thing where your making stuff and doing things etc... to mold 10 ghaki is a pain in the but... your right its like choosing to buy from a LGS you are supporting something you love and not stealing cheating... i take back my suggestion... i guess i come at it from a mold your own stuff mold bits of things to create new monstrocities and projects etc etc... i never really think about mass casting stuff that is someone elses...

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

so i dont consider what i do stealing but in certain ways abusing things is downright wrong...

ultimately i suggest sculpting your own awesome bases and then mass casting them.