The Miners and Steamfitters Union Strikes!

Sybarite

So i've shifted my focus from the showgirls to the workers and agents of the M&SU. Here's my first mini for them - Kaeris.

The picture was taken with the iphone but it turned out alright. The red is a little less warm irl but otherwise the colours show up pretty well though :)

i went with a warm colour scheme and decided i wanted a red rocky desert look for the base.

What do you think?

Kaeris-front-fix_zpsa6fc8fd9.png

Kaeris-back-fix_zpsb0fb0709.png

i think i'll paint her student of conflict next and then gunsmiths and gamin.

• Like 2

Adary: Thanks! :D Glad you like it.

Guardian: Thanks! ^^ Happy you like it.

Ttsgosadow: Thanks! Yeah it’s a nice model :) and I had some real fun doing the base.

EmperorsChump: Thank you. The cactus was made of green stuff : )

Iron Heel: Glad to hear : )

Mr. Goggles: Thanks. That’s nice to hear!

Viruk: Yeah it does, doesn’t it? And since there isn’t really anything on the miniature itself that suggests Kaeris’s pyromanthic tendencies I wanted to show that she’s quite a fiery person with a very warm colour scheme. Thanks Viruk!

Nickienogger: That’s really nice to hear. Thank you : ) Yeah there will be more soon.

Danube: Thanks – glad you think so :)

Jasonfly: Oh no did I inspire the murder of a paintjob? :o Well… I hope you’ll be happy with your new paintjob ^^ Thanks!

Wings: That’s really nice to hear. Thank you : )

NIGHTHATER: Wow you really think so? Wow, that makes me really happy ^^

i've got some metal gamin, a student and Kang ready to be undercoated and i'm working on building the rail golem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again everyone. Here's an update.

i've painted the first of my two metal gamin:

Metal-gamin_zpsc13c7ec4.png

Metal-gamin-back_zps3916f2eb.png

It is the first malifaux plastic miniature that i've painted. It's a pretty nice model although the detail could have been a little more crisp in places. It was hard to make the large steel areas look interesting. i tried to make it look nicer by tinting it blue and painting the chains like they've rusted and have bled rust onto the steel. Not sure how well it went though.

Originally i went for orange eyes but that obviously didn't work well with the bronze face mask i decided on, so i went with glowy turqoiuse eyes.

i tried to make the mouth glow too but didn't like how it turned out so made it dark instead.

Oh and it's magnetized to the base. i'm working on a wintery base for it so that it'll fit in nicely with my Rasputina crew too. Raspy could use a little bodyguard sometimes i think :)

Also, Tamm (the Girlfriend <3), helped me with dremeling and putting LEDs into my Rail Golem :D

Kudos to Demonn here at the forum for making a tutorial on how to do it. We didn't do it exactly like Demonn did but it was really helpful. i couldn't have made it without Tamm's help and Demonn's tutorial. i'm no good with electronics :) So thanks Demonn and Tamm!

It's not painted yet but here's a couple of WIP photos :)

Rail-golem_zpsaa737e48.png

rail-golem-inside_zpsf5bedc6b.png

What do you think? :)

Take care you all!

/elinore

Edited by Sybarite
  • Like 1

I am not big on your metallics, to be honest. I looooove the rest, though. Heavy contrasts are things I like in minis, especially ones landing on the tabletop.

I know it takes a lot of time, but with your skills, couldn't you do NMM? I swear and declare that those metal gamin would look much cooler with a blue greyish tone than a metallic paint.

Letifer: Glad you like it :) Demonn's tutorial can be found here: http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?26892-Demonn-s-Lair/page23&highlight=demonn

Evilbleachman: Ok well the metal gamin could probably look cooler in nmm and i could probably do it. However i don't really like the idea of having nmm on my minis meant for gaming. Nmm can look bloody amazing but it is a 2D-painting technique at its core. It doesn't really look right from all angles and when on the table top the miniatures are looked at from a load of different angles. Sure it can look great anyway but i guess i just don't like the idea of my gaming miniatures being meant to be looked at from a certain angle.

i certainly enjoy great NMM paintjobs but i think if i'd do it i would reserve it for display miniatures, and i actually really like true metallics. i don't really like painting metal in general though and that might show in models like the metal gamin i guess.

Agreed. It could be pretty iffy from many different angles. Though, tabletop quality is generally not even high enough for NMM. I doubt most players would really pay attention to that kind of intricate detail on the board, as such. The person gnawing at you baout it would most likely end up being yourself.

This is more me too, when I make mistakes and flaws in my paint jobs. Some people don't notice but I do and sometimes it drives me nuts or makes me anxious. I've considered repainting my Seamus even, cause of tid bits I dislike. :P

Another idea on the metal gamin, to make them slightly less pure metallic, would to have their skin tones originate in a really dark color and be highlighted in a mix between this dark color and a brighter metallic paint. Would still give off a slight metallic feel to it, but also be less uber metallic. As said, I just don't like metallic paints that much (even though I use them Haha).

Evilbleachman: Hehe yeah i know the feeling. i too become anxious when i'm not totally happy with one of my paint jobs - which is most of the time - and it gnaws on me too. i sometimes go back to a model i've already finished, like my Kaeris and Colette models and try to "fix it". It's not very good for my mental health i believe, haha :P i try to force myself to just move on to another model and paint that to the best of my ability and then move on to another one even though there might be some things i'm not 100% happy with, and not just spend ages on the same model. It doesn't always work but i'm trying to move forward and not kick myself over the things that don't look perfect.

So i think the metal gamin will look like that and its friend will probably be painted similarly so that they match - the sculpts are so different so i want the colours to be quite alike. i do like your suggestion for painting the metal gamin though.

i think i'm going to paint the metals on my rail golem something like this:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1580085_99121466002_LotrMordorIsengardTrollMain3_873x627.jpg

Kind of like the matte and dark metals of an old train engine, with some scratches. What do you think?

Indeed that would look awesome on the rail golem. Nice and rusty big guy, glowing fiercely at your opponents. :D

I am still tinkering on my mechanical doves for my Collette crew. I wanted to have them look white and still have that metallic sheen to them (not as NMM). BAsically I mixed in white with a light metallic color and used that as a main color. I am just not too satisfied with the results.

Any idea how to paint a white metallic?

Indeed that would look awesome on the rail golem. Nice and rusty big guy, glowing fiercely at your opponents. :D

I am still tinkering on my mechanical doves for my Collette crew. I wanted to have them look white and still have that metallic sheen to them (not as NMM). BAsically I mixed in white with a light metallic color and used that as a main color. I am just not too satisfied with the results.

Any idea how to paint a white metallic?

Cool :) Yeah i think so too. Going abroad for two weeks but i'll paint it when i get back.

White metallic sounds like a really cool idea. i've never tried it myself though so i'm afraid i can't offer any advice, and metallics aren't my strongest side really.

You just convinced me to throw mine in paint thinner and start from scratch. Damn you! :D

Stunning paintjob.

the only reason I won't be doing this myself is that my Kaeris isn't painted yet.

That's a stunning model.

I love what you've done with the metal gamin and I'm quite tempted to steal the idea.