Glue cap stuck fast to lid ... Any help and/or ideas??

THE_Dwarf

Hey people ...

I have a problem with my glue, as the subject suggests. As I have the Army Builder glue bottle with the pippet/spout.

I have not used it for a while, and I came to use it this morning just, but the cap over the spout is stuck fast. And I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to remove the cap?

I have unscrewed the lid and submerged it in warm water, as me and parents thought that may work. But currently it not coming apart.

Any ideas here???

And also, any one know any good superglue which comes with a brush applicator (Like the GW superglue, but better lol). Annoying as the Army Builder glue is amazing.

Thanks in advance people

When I have this problem with my zap-a-gap bottle, I take a pair of pliers (ideally ones with a rounded jaw ie/for gripping pipe, not a straight one) and gently squeeze the cap at the point where it is glued, you should hear the glue crush as the plastic flexes, you should then be able to twist off the cap.

I don't know of any glues that come with an applicator, but you can always buy an applicator like the ones here:

http://www.micromark.com/applicators.html

I have a http://www.micromark.com/micro-glue-applicator,8048.html, but save the $ and make your own, just clip the very end off the eye of a sewing needle (so the eye resembles a tuning fork) and stick the pointy end in the eraser end of a pencil. Find some sort of little plastic cap to put the glue in and viola, DIY glue applicator setup.

Warm water was actually probably the worst thing to have tried. Water/mousture is what causes super/CA glues to cure, so if there was any uncured glue remaining on the lid-you probably set it in place ;)

What you need to do is make the glue more brittle than the plastic nozzle/cap its on. The easiest way to do that is freeze it. 15 or 20 minutes in the freezer, then gently twist the caps with some pliers. This should keep the cured glue from holding its bond on hte smooth plastic on the nozzle and cap material.

In the future- make sure to always wipe off any un dried glue from the tip before screwing it back on. A little isnt a problem, but it adds up and if it cures fully- you discovered the results ;)

Depending on the amount left in the bottle, and if its still fluid, make sure its worth the effort of cracking open the lid and saving- nothing more annoying than getting it open to find out the glue inside has gone off- which commonly happens when the lid is all clumped up with glue since it usually doesnt seal very tight ;)

Oops with the warm water. Although my mate mentioned warm water and time. Think I shall take it out and put in the free for a bit.

I like the idea of the sewing needle (I shall steal one of my moms lol) so if I can't get the lid off, at least I can still use the glue on the inside with just unscrewing the knackered top on and off :-)

I use Gorrila Glue super glue. I'm not sure if ya'all have it on the other side of the pond, but they've got a lid that doesn't seem to ever get glued closed. If you do try it,make sure it's super glue. All of the other Gorrilla brand glues expand a bit. One other thing to do is make sure and clean the glue tip before you put the lid on...every time!

I think the warm water trick may have made your glue unusable :(

After spending a good 20 years sticking metal and plastic models together all I can give is some advice.

The best superglues are the standard plastic bottle and long neck type. The best one I've found so far is 'Vitalbond CA-Thin' available from Modelzone shops, which you shouldn't have any trouble finding.

Apart from the obvious put your lid back on as soon as possible advise I also find that storing the bottles the right way up makes a massive difference to the life span of glue bottles - don't be tempted to leave them on their side in a box etc.

And last word of advice, never ever try to open a stuck lid with your teeth! .... :facepalm::facepalm: its very silly and it doesn't taste nice :facepalm:

@Tuttleboy

Cheers for the suggestion on the Gorila Glue super glue :-) I may have to look into it and see if it has travelled across the pond. There are a couple of model stores in town. Depends if I wanna trek across town in this weather :-\

@Pierowmaniac

I believe the way I store the glue didn't help. As last time I used it it was late, after a long day, glueing together Perdita and her family, and then found it yesterday in my painting case. But hey ... you live and learn.

And with the warm water trick, I unscrewed the main lid firstly before submerging it. As it is just the cap over the nozzel that is stuck fast. The freeze idea didn't seem to work either.

So I think I ill take the idea off brib4169 and using a home-made applicator from a sewing needle. As the glue is usable. I'll just need to remember to wipe the needle clean else they'll be stuck some place I don't want it lol or look for a small empt bottle that it can go in. Try suspend it using a cork or rubber at other end I dunno.

But will deffinatley look into the glue you suggested as there a Modelzone in town :-)

And yeah, trying to open with teeth could be a bit iffy

Thanks for the advice guys :-)