Terrifying Kills

whitefire

Question

23 answers to this question

Depends on how you interpret "sacrifice" but I think it's pretty clear in the rulebook p. 57: "If the model was already touching the table edge when it was forced to make a fall back move, it is sacrificed instead."

This is valid. My question is, regarding this, does the terrifying model count as having sacrificed the model losing the morale duel on the table edge?

~Lil Kalki

Kill Protege says "killed." Killed and Sacrificed are two distinct things. An official answer would probably be needed in order to credibly take the VPs for the scheme.

Frame for Murder does say Sacrificed, but says "by" opposing master. I'm not sure this is precise enough to take the VPs for running your own model off the board through an opposing Terrifying zone.

In the case of Kill Protege, it would probably be a lot easier to actually kill the model than to make it flee to the board edge and then make it flee off the board by being in your melee zone. Another model with a push effect would have you in the perfect position to push you off the board when you are trying to run that method of chain morale failures.

For Frame for Murder, it is often easier to make the opposing master have to kill your minion by sitting on his lap until he does.

Edited by xKoBiEx

In my opinion, it'd work like tokens. If a model dies from Poison Tokens, there is no definitive killer. The model just simply dies, from a neutral cause.

I disagree, the model was sacrificed through an indirect means, but the effect was caused by Seamus. A poisoned model can die from poison tokens up to 3 turns after it was last hit by the model with poison.

In the case of poison, there was an errata that made this the rule because it was a little too powerful. In this case, your further Cuddling an ability that isn't really that powerful to begin with.

It is stil not the terror effect that kills the model. It is leaving the area that make the model to be sacrificed.

The terrorfying effect contributed to the lose of the model, but it did not finish it off.

I guess the same argument could be used if you wounded a model and then later on another attack killed the model. The first attack did not kill it even though it did help...

This seems like a really clear cause-and-effect relationship. Cause: Terrifying. Effect: The model is sacrificed. It doesn't matter how many steps are in the chain between the Terrifying test and the sacrifice effect - if the Terrifying model hadn't forced the test, the model would not be sacrificed, so the sacrifice is a direct result of the Terrifying model's ability.

The only reason that tokens don't work like that is that they're specifically called out as an exception - "Tokens don't remember who applied them." There's nothing to "remember" in the Terrifying case, so I can't see any reason why there would be an exception.

This seems like a really clear cause-and-effect relationship. Cause: Terrifying. Effect: The model is sacrificed.

Cause: The Model leaves the Table.

Effect: The model is sacrificed.

Terrifying is NOT causing the sac, leaving the table is.

Was he terrified? Sure.

Did he need to be terrified to leave the table? No. You can leave any time.

That's how I play it until a rules marshal says otherwise.

Edited by Gruesome

The Frame for Murder scheme gives vp for "If the noted model was killed or sacrificed by an opposing master during the encounter, you scor 1 vp".

The question is if Seamus sacrificed the enemy model. He did not. He caused it to fall back and after that the model got sacrified. Seamus did not sacrifice the model.

Would it not be the same as Seamus causing a model to fall back through dangerous terrain/firewall/ or something similar and die/get killed? In both cases Seamus did not do the actual killing or sacrifice.

Further to this, I believe that someone asked a question on whether they got VP for killing a model which fled into hazardous terrain and died. The answer ended up being no but I cannot find the link. I am stuck in the camp of no VP for FfM but I wouldn't argue the play in a friendly game.

Cause: The Model leaves the Table.

Effect: The model is sacrificed.

A model never leaves the table as a result of failing a Terrifying check. When it fails the check, there is a condition: if it is not on the edge of the table, it falls back. If it is already on the edge of the table, it is sacrificed.

Even if it did leave the table, that would be an effect, not a cause. It would happen only in response to failing the Terrifying check.

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

The question is if Seamus sacrificed the enemy model. He did not. He caused it to fall back and after that the model got sacrified. Seamus did not sacrifice the model.

That logic seems very akin to saying "Seamus did not kill the model. He reduced it to 0 Wds, and after that the model died."

That logic seems very akin to saying "Seamus did not kill the model. He reduced it to 0 Wds, and after that the model died."

Not really.

Terrifying caused the model to Fall Back.

Fall back (plus table edge) caused the model to be sacrificed.

Two steps.

In your example Seamus reduced model to 0 Wounds.

0 Wounds = killed.

One step.

Hypothetical question: If our Seamus hit and killed a Seishin, and that Seishin was instead sacrificed due to Fragile Connection, did Seamus sacrifice that model, or kill it?

(I'm not using this to back up my argument at all, I think that saying anything further would be arguing in circles. I'm just trying to identify similar situations and see if people still feel the same way about them.)