"Fresh off the train" Malifaux league, Fredericton NB

Boshea

It took just about everything you had to buy that ticket, but you're finally in Malifaux. With nothing more than the clothes on your back, a pocket full of stones, and a fist of scrip you plan on making a name for yourself. You know it won't be easy though. Malifaux is an easy city to die in, and you've heard its even harder staying dead. You overheard some other passengers on the train say that there is always work at C's No Evil, and with no better options you start making your way there......

A little something I've been putting together with the help of other henchmen, with a big thanks to Pierowmaniac. The goal of this league is to ease new players into the game, and possibly get the current players to try some new things. Here are the details so far, but some things may change based on feedback.

-Participation in the league will cost $5. This will all go to prize support.

-Duration of the league will be 6 weeks, from March 4th to April14th.

-Each player will choose and play with one starter box, may include 1 additional blister/clam box worth of models, and one master-specific totem blister if not included in the box.

-The first game will be 15 SS and will increase by 5 SS every two weeks.

-Players may play 1 or 2 league games each week. If they play 2 games they will score their best score for the week +1.

-Players can not play consecutive games against the same opponent.

-Games are to be played at either Gamezilla Fredericton, or CFB Gagetown gaming club.

-Players earn 1 additional game point if they play an opponent they have not played before. This resets if you have played every opponent in the league.

-Each week there will be a primary strategy which must be played for Game 1. Game 2 can either be the same primary strategy or randomly determined using the standard strategy generator in the Malifaux rulebook/manual. Strategies will be announced at the start of each week (Along with more terribly written fluff by me).

-Each game will use standard deployment.

-Ignore the rules for location and special terrain.

-A win will be worth 3 points, Draw 2 points and Lose will be 1 point.

-Starting from Week 3, painting scores will be introduced with 2 Points being earned from playing a game with no unpainted models.

-At the end of Week 6 each player will cast 1 vote for the crew he/she thinks is the best painted. This vote = 1 painting point.

-The player who has the most points from games will win a prize.

-The player who has the highest painting points will win a prize.

-The player who has the most points overall will win a prize.

-Additional prizes will be based on number of players.

Rules for blister and starter choice

-If playing a dual-faction master you must declare which faction you will be playing as for the duration of the league.

-Your blister can not be a master, henchman, or avatar

-The Necrotic Machine, and the Drill Sergeant count as master-specific totems for Molly and Lucius respectively.

-If a model is only available in a starter box, it may be selected as your one blister. This applies to unique models in starter boxes, and all models in book 4 starters (currently). For example if you play Lady Justice you may take Nino Ortega as your one blister since Nino can only be gotten through the Ortega Starter. You can not claim an entire starter box as your one blister.

If you're looking for additional information on the game here are your best sources.

http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/Gathering+Supplies-A great resource in general, but this page gives a general overview for starting the game

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?33067-New-Player-Resources-Kind of catch all for introduction resources. Posts of note would be morella's master starter selection, and my faction starter suggestions.

http://www.malifaux.com/Rules.php-Contains links to the free pocket rulebook (less art and some strategies and schemes missing than the actual pocket rule book), as well as the links for FAQS/Errata/Clarifications if anything has you a little confused.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?33856-Resolved-Issues-Resolved topics that have not been updated to the errata documentation yet.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?37795-HAMELIN-ERRATA-(OR-maybe-the-world-is-ending-after-all)-If considering Hamelin be aware that his rules were errata's recently, and the PMF tactica have not been updated for him.

Me-I'm always willing to teach people how to play, and I can give you a few suggestions on what would be a good blister choice or starter based on your play-style.

If you have interest in playing than either post here, shoot me a PM, or talk to me in person.

Edited by Boshea

• 4 weeks later...

Reminder that the league will be starting in one week for those who have not gotten product yet. There is a decent chunk of starter product coming in, but if you're not looking to play those masters then you'll want to get something ordered in by Monday. Blisters coming in are hit and miss for the league, good for starting the game but may not be ideal for the league. If the starter order is delayed then the league start date will be moved to March 11th. Reporting structure will be posted at the start of the league along with week 1's strategy.

Going from memory, but here is what I believe is in the Malifaux order. I'll update this list when I can confirm it on Monday. Some items may already be spoken for.

-Lady Justice starter

-Guild Hounds

-Seamus starter

-Nicodem starter

-Night Terrors

-Rasputina Starter

-Ramos Starter

-Silent One

-Lynch starter

-Young Nephilim

-Viktoria starter

-Ronin

-Convict Gunslinger

-Desperate Mercenary

-Misaki Starter

-Ten Thunder Archers

My fiance' picked up a seamus starter 3 weeks ago and we've played a few games, she expressed an interest so she might get in on the league to see if she has an interest in continuing to play. Unsure if the game's the right fit for her, so she said she wanted to try it out. Few games in.

I had The Dreamer ordered, but due to my screw up, the dreamer on his own was what was ordered, not the Bad Dreams box. And my daydreams were mislabelled "Dreamers", and since they had no idea what that meant those weren't brought in. So I fixed the order up, and am gonna use the Viktorias box I picked up last week. I also bought the ronins mentioned above, because they look like a good solid clam box for the whole league.

I don't love half the Viktorias' box :Johan (who I could see hiring if I went M&SU), and Bishop who just isn't worth 10 SS. But it looks like this will be a lot of fun and i'm looking forward to monday.

Is there a particular way people use to organize games, or a night in mind for Malifaux specifically, or will it just be wednesday/thursday like usual? I've been wondering if there was some easier way to organize pick up games when I don't know who all is playing or when.

Anyway thanks for organizing this stuff, see you at the shop sometime.

Johan is a better arcanist, but if you can't afford Taelor he makes a good substitute. Ronin are also an extremely solid model. Easiest days for games will likely be Wednesday and Thursdays, with Tuesdays as a pickup day for those who can make it to Gagetown. I'll have the full reporting structure up Monday with details on organizing games outside of the usually mini-nights. Hoping to get an email list composed with registrations to make things easier for those participating to organize games and for myself to send out updates.

Edit-You'll also have an easier time picking up the basics with the Viks over Dreamer.

Edit2-When getting anything ordered in, it helps to also have the product code for it.

Edited by Boshea

Johan is a better arcanist, but if you can't afford Taelor he makes a good substitute. Ronin are also an extremely solid model. Easiest days for games will likely be Wednesday and Thursdays, with Tuesdays as a pickup day for those who can make it to Gagetown. I'll have the full reporting structure up Monday with details on organizing games outside of the usually mini-nights. Hoping to get an email list composed with registrations to make things easier for those participating to organize games and for myself to send out updates.

Edit-You'll also have an easier time picking up the basics with the Viks over Dreamer.

Edit2-When getting anything ordered in, it helps to also have the product code for it.

You're preaching to the choir on product codes, I now look that stuff up in advance and will just give a note to the shop with all the names and codes to avoid mixups.

As to what you said about affording - that will be my major issue. Viks have no cache but they like soulstones, all my playtesting is telling me this. So in a 15 SS game I can maybe run 2 viks and 2 ronins or the viks + Taelor, or +Johan if as you say I want to be more economical. I guess I could throw it to the wind and try the viks and 3 ronins, but I think I'll get out-activated and overrun a bit. Still, it'll encourage me to think before I act I guess.

Good idea on the email list, I often have trouble organizing games but have a lot of free time. Am assembling and basecoating/rudimentarily painting Viks now.

You walk into the bar and see a large imposing man on the other side of the counter. He appears to washing some type of red stain off the bar, which you highly doubt is red wine based on the demeanor of the other bar patrons. You tell the man that you're looking for work.

"Well la-ti-da, another fresh face from earth side thinks they can just waltz in here and get work. Seems like I see a dozen of you crazy bastards every day. So tell ya what, you get better introduced with your competition and if you still have a pulse I'll get you some real work."

Week 1 Strategy:Shared Delivery a Message

League play official starts tomorrow, so hopefully everybody has their models at least attached to a base in some way. Reminder that registration will be $5 and I'll be at Gagetown on Tuesday, and GZ on Wednesday and Thursday to register people. When registering I will need your name, email, starter box, additional models, and Wyrd username. Wyrd username does not need to be provided at the time, but it'll make my life easier for one of the prizes at the end of the league. After registering you will be issued your ever so fancy "No Evil" pay stub, or your league score card for the unfluffy. You have until the end of week 2 to register into the league. Prizes for Game score, paint score, and best overall will be determined after registrations have closed, but I do have two to announce currently.

"Fate is Fickle"-Playing a minimum of 3 league games makes you eligible for a draw to win a Male Desperate Merc. While you may not be the biggest palyer in Malifaux, this guy at least likes your style.

"Sharp Dressed Man"-Post at least one fully painted in model in the league paint log to be eligible for a draw to win a Female Desperate Merc. Because every girl is crazy about a sharp dressed man.

So as long as you make an effort to get some game and paint points you may walk away with an always useful Desperate Merc.

Edited by Boshea

"Well either you laid low all week, or you're tougher than you look. Unfortunately I got a slew of mercs still waiting to get work, but I may still have a use for you. I've been somewhat unimpressed with some of my associates' work as of late, and I feel it may be time for a little "performance evaluation". Your new enough here that they wouldn't see you as a threat if they've been getting lazy. So here is a list of names to go "evaluate", and if you come back with a shorter list we'll see about getting you some paying work."

Week 2 Strategy - Shared Contain Power

Edit-Scorecards are on hold until further notice. My printer is having alignment problems, primarily chaotic. Try to get games reported to me in a timely manner and I'll add them to the master list I have.

Edited by Boshea

"Look who's back. I've noticed a few less of the regulars so looks like some people either failed or skipped their "evaluation", let me get a look at the list. I see you took care of Ol'Strokey. Poor bastard hasn't been the same since that Union strike a few months back. Anyway you're probably looking to see some real work now. I've been eying a piece of property for expanding my business. However its a fine piece of real estate, and I'd rather not break the bank on the place. So I want you to go in my place for the open house, and "encourage" people to back out on the project. Here's some scrip, get yourself some finer clothes at Lockark's Threaded Emporium. Would help if you didn't show up looking like some low-life thug.

Week 3 Strategy - Shared Claim Jump

Paint Scores are now in effect, so you get 2 points for a playing a game with a fully painted crew. This also includes models summoned in, so don't throw away easy points by forgetting to paint your mindless zombie.

Also don't forget to get a model posted for the "Sharp Dressed Man" draw in the painting log linked in my sig.

"I see Mister Lockark talked you into buying one of those stupid hats of his, well you better not plan on wearing it while on the job. I need you looking like a refined enforcer, not some asshole wastrel. Anyway, the boys are out back loading up some supplies to take over to my new establishment. Make sure they get there, or you'll have the joys of continuing your employment in debt to me. If you want to know what its like to owe me something, go take a look at the tree a few blocks over and talk to a few of the people who defaulted."

Week 4 Strategy - Shared Supply Wagon

Fun Fact, I actually mixed up weeks 3 and 4 strategies.

"So it looks like my boys are getting a little sloppy in their work and word is spreading around on how I picked up that piece of property. Now bribes only go so far for keeping the guild out of my affairs, but after that Union incident a while back even they're starting to question if the money is worth the trouble. So to make sure this project still turns a profit I need you to go tie up some loose ends before word spreads any more. Otherwise your pay is going to be going into the bribes to cover this up."

Week 5 Strategy-Shared Destroy Evidence

Reminder to get a model posted in the painting thread by the end of week 6.

"Now that we have that evidence dealt with lets move onto the main event. The reason I've been so keen to grab that property is do to a little bit of history. It used to be an arcanist safe house before we busted the place back in my guard days. At the time we reported that there was nothing of note other than the men we arrested. However during the bust there was a sizable soulstone shipment being smuggled. Sizable enough that pocketing it then would have both the guild and the arcanist on our backs. So we ended up hiding it deep in the cellar until we had a better chance to line our pockets. The place has been under heavy watch by the guild while on the free market, but now that it is in my possession we should be able to extract it with ease. The arcanist have likely written it off due to the amount of notoriety associated with the event, so I'm sure they'll pay pretty well to get it back. But then again, there are always other buyers."

Week 6-Shared Treasure Hunt

Games can be reported until the 14th. You have until the 17th to both vote for best painted and to post a model in the painting thread. Winners will be announced the 18th.

• 2 weeks later...

And so comes the end of the league. Did Mr. C find his treasure trove, or was he beaten to the punch. Guess we'll find out in the next event.

Due to player's inability to paint models.... or post the ones I know they painted, had to makes some last minute changes to the prizes. Remind me never to put a paint requirement on a tournament. Not all players have Wyrd accounts, so going by local forum names in some cases.

Best Game Score - Nozor $15

Best Painted - Myself...... by default $15

Best Overall - Nozor $20

"Fate is Fickle" - Mmacneil

"Sharp Dressed Man"-Myself..... by default

So best to explain things out for the uniformed. Schedules and order delays kind of wreaked chaos on the league, but every player except one did manage to get at least 3-4 games in. Originally I had planned on limiting prizes to one per player, but Nozor was so far ahead in points that I just gave him both Game and Overall. "Sharp Dressed Man" will remaining in the prize box for a future event. Due to lack of painting, voting, and myself being the only player with a fully painted crew, best painted is staying in the prize pool for a future event. Oddly enough it was the only prize I could win (exempted myself from the others since I was the only experienced player). As for the final point breakdown based on crews.

Jakob Lynch-32(26/6)

Mei-26

Kirai-12

Viktorias-12

Lady Justice-8

Seamus-7

Seamus-6

Von Schill-6

Lady Justice-4

Overall I'd call this train wreck a success. I'll be looking for feedback from players for what they want for future events. Now that people have crews we should have less issues. Next major league will be in July, but I'm looking at doing either a one-day event or a small tournament in May/June before then.