Glue suggestions?

moody628

Withall the small details on the new plastic kits, I recently converted to testors ( http://www.testors.com/product/136635/3507AT/_/Liquid_Cement_1_Oz.) more for the applicator, but the glue is excellent too. For metal I still use zap a gap. And since I mistakenly bought the jumbo size bottle that dispensers way too fast I bought an applicator http://www.micromark.com/micro-glue-applicator,8048.html which is nice but you can save the $9 by filing the head of a large sewing needle and stabbing it into the eraser end of a pencil

Edited by brib4169

I mainly use Zap-A-Gap. Tried Loctite gel but I've had little luck with it; it just kinda stretches and strands everywhere. Maybe bad batch or environmental issue? Looking forward to trying more glues though!

It shouldn't have any strands unless you're pulling the pieces back apart for some reason. Just use a small drop, attach piece, count to 10, and done. If it squeezes out the sides, use a toothpick and clean the edge before it dries. Though zap a gap works too.

looks that Wyrd plastic is similar to GW one (stirene), so plastic cement should work. superglue also will work very well.

things to keep in mind while choosing.

- plastic cement create a more solid bond, this could be an advantage if you have to attach parts with small contact surface

- plastic cement will make near impossible to disassemble the miniature if you have some afterthoughts later (while most of the stuff used to strip paint will also melt superglue)

- if you're going to pin something you (obviously) have to use superglue

• 2 weeks later...
looks that Wyrd plastic is similar to GW one (stirene), so plastic cement should work.

Has anyone actually used plastic cement? I'd rather use it if it works but testing it on a couple pieces of sprue it still seems a bit soft. It certainly isn't the nice solid bond I see on the GW plastics.

Has anyone actually used plastic cement? I'd rather use it if it works but testing it on a couple pieces of sprue it still seems a bit soft. It certainly isn't the nice solid bond I see on the GW plastics.

Plastic cement takes a while to properly cure.....hours. As I mentioned above....

I use the testors model master plastic cement. I think the same one Gruesome mentioned...black bottle with metal tip. I don't do the toothpick thing though. I really like it.

Pretty damn solid after you let it cure.

This is my first mini-game and I vastly prefer using plastic glue on plastic than super glue on metal.

The softness does happen, but after a day of drying, it will be totally solid.

What I prefer about the plastic glue is that there is little to no gap filling because the melting plastic will flow into the space.

Yeah, I'm a fan of plastic cement for most of the reasons mentioned in this thread. I use it on the GW plastics all the time. The test piece I did with the Wyrd sprue just seemed softer in the same kind of time that it would be rock solid on the GW plastic. I guess I just need to give it a bit more time. :)

Accept no substitute:

t350_d27c035abb296d43032c26320deaec83.jpg

I agree. Although it hasn't come to me having to use that bottle yet. I'm still using the tube of it that came with a paint spindle. With the minimal amount it takes to use on the plastics, and using a toothpick to apply it, I've finished nearly every plastic model from (the regular release schedule) of book 4 and still have barely dented it.

Less is definitely more when it comes to using the glue. Less that spills out and needs wiped off. Less initial drying time so that you can put the model down and work on other ones. More satisfaction of getting a whole crew (or more) assembled in about an hour. [Now if only the weather would warm up just a bit so that I can prime them...]