SC's new Malifaux painting thread (post-switch to white)

SpiralngCadavr

Hi Spiral!

(Have we met IRL? I live in PDX as well. Don't get out much anymore though. Where do you play? I used to play at Guardian games, but haven't seen the new location yet, but hear its bad as.)

Nice work on these minis. For some feedback that I hope will be recieved as constructive.

RE: LadyJ, I think the fire skull looks cool, and if I look closely I can't see much wrong with it, but when I see the entire mini, I see that blue on her shin and her sword, so it almost creates a triangle of wierdness. Maybe a green would have worked in this one better?

The base is cool, but it is a bit big and it looks like you did some runes that I don't quite understand because it almost like you gave up on the idea.

Reds are a bit matchy as well.

Really like the yellow effect you did on the dead version though. Looks like she's in some streetlight at night.

Hey, pretty sure we haven't met- I only went to Guardian for WM, and that was some time ago (also before they moved, haven't been in their new space but seen it from the street, liked the old space in the factory district). I did some Malifaux at Bridgetowne, but it never really got going, and then the staff made some rather shortsighted decisions that really annoyed me, so I haven't been playing a lot (have a little table, play with my wife more often than not). Been meaning to try out Guardian's new location, and I've heard a lot of good things about Red Castle down on Foster, both from gamers and from a couple non-gamers who said it was refreshingly non-alienating there.

Interesting point re: triangle, hadn't really thought on that, will need to decide if I want to exaggerate/highlight it or get rid of it... I don't believe in half-assing things, so one extreme or the other. Definitely food for thought, thanks.

Yeah, the base got a little out of control, hadn't worked with foam core for something that small before. The rest of the crew has way more practical ones. The runes were intentional, though- the photo doesn't show it well, but they've got some brown in them, and the idea was they were burnt around her.

Re: red, yeah, viruk pointed that out too, gonna need to tone it down, not sure if that means darker or browner or both.

Thanks re: dead justice, yeah, she's probably my favorite paint job for any of my undead.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I like the undead butler but the floating cards with light coming from Jakob's palm looks pretty awesome. I really like the dark look of the crew and the idea for basing HD is very good - it diverts one from the ugly sculpt (and great paintjob helps too).

Viruk, yeah, I was on the fence until mine came missing his head (a trade), which pushed me towards something different. Also, I felt like Lynch would be pretty unassuming (in a world with magic, being able to make cards float around might be a cool trick customers would like; having a floating skeleton looming beside you looking menacing probably wouldn't).

Also, yeah, the Hungering Darkness is a pretty weird thing- I see what they were trying to go for but agree that it didn't quite mesh, at least for me. The sewer thing was mostly because I thought that (like the floating skeleton) it would probably scare off the customers if the big monsters were in the open, but I agree that it worked nicely to obscure some of the less successful parts of the models.

nagash, thanks, Malifaux has really taught me to like some of the less obvious colors that I've spent less time with (particularly purple and teal)

the 2 beckoners(specifically the one on the right) will be the first model i attempt a sheer nylon effect by painting the dark base fleshtone, then misting with the airbrush, and then go back in and clean up the leg above the stockings and highlight. it will either be cool or look like a bag of ass and i'll just paint over it for a more traditional old thick opaque stocking.

Thanks!

Viruk, yeah, I pretty regularly obsess over little details like that, just happened to think these were interesting enough to post :D

Eaten, thanks, yeah, Malifaux is in an odd place where I rarely find their minis need much conversion work, so I have fun with their bases instead. To think... years ago, I thought elaborate bases were dumb :Confused_Puppet2:

Yeah, really having fun with source lighting and Malifaux- the organic shapes and lack of superfluous detail (*cough GW *cough*) really lends itself to experimenting with light and effects.

I'm just really enjoying the few Malifaux games I've managed to get in recently, and I'm always more inspired to paint when it's something I want to field, since I always like painted over unpainted (to the point that I'll often proxy a painted model instead of using the correct but unpainted one).

...speaking of which, I've been working on Tara's crew which I'm really liking, but been having trouble figuring out how to make the NE death Marshal in the box look cooler- any ideas on painting FX or resculpting? I love the one in your avatar (in my opinion one of the best resser models around (which, BTW, your paint job totally does justice to), and glad he's no longer just a proxy crooked man) and did a minor mod to Mr. Bendy Metal Sticks and like him a lot now, but still can't figure out what to do with that guy in the flame box. He just feels so... haunted house ride. I've seen nice paint jobs of his flames, but nothing inspiring.

(That request for advice goes to anyone who has thoughts on the matter, even though it was addressing Viruk)

Yeah, really having fun with source lighting and Malifaux- the organic shapes and lack of superfluous detail (*cough GW *cough*) really lends itself to experimenting with light and effects.

I'm just really enjoying the few Malifaux games I've managed to get in recently, and I'm always more inspired to paint when it's something I want to field, since I always like painted over unpainted (to the point that I'll often proxy a painted model instead of using the correct but unpainted one).

...speaking of which, I've been working on Tara's crew which I'm really liking, but been having trouble figuring out how to make the NE death Marshal in the box look cooler- any ideas on painting FX or resculpting? I love the one in your avatar (in my opinion one of the best resser models around (which, BTW, your paint job totally does justice to), and glad he's no longer just a proxy crooked man) and did a minor mod to Mr. Bendy Metal Sticks and like him a lot now, but still can't figure out what to do with that guy in the flame box. He just feels so... haunted house ride. I've seen nice paint jobs of his flames, but nothing inspiring.

(That request for advice goes to anyone who has thoughts on the matter, even though it was addressing Viruk)