SC's new Malifaux painting thread (post-switch to white)

SpiralngCadavr

I love working on lighting like that, heavily influenced by comics stuff (and I think it's improved my illustration to work on 3-D lighting like that)

And yet more of said lighting- I'm starting to experiment with other techniques in conjunction with sourcelighting- hoping to get to comfortable combining OSL blending with freehand (I was planning on it with his shield, but realized there was no way that lantern was going to shine on his back, so it ended up just being dark and muted by being in shadow).

adam%2Bsurvivor%2Bof%2Bdeath.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Kingdom Death! Yeaaaaaaay - I just got myself a late Kingdom Death pick up. Lucky enough to find someone willing to part with their kickstarter. Thanks for some artistic inspiration - time for some KD (don`t worry, they can be Mally-proxies too, right). Looks great always like your style because it stands out from everything else you see... like I`ve said 10 times before probably. ;)

Aww yeah, been loving KD, I think I may have gone a little overboard with painting a whole bunch in quick succession, since thinking about painting any more lanterns is getting me a touch twitchy, but I'm having a ton of fun with the system, looking forward to seeing what you put out with yours.

I think my Malifaux slump is over, starting to get back in to painting- Gremlins (can hardly call it "back" since I've only painted two non-dual-faction gremlins) and Outcasts, where I'm feeling like my Tara crew could do with a little face lift.

So... question time for anyone reading: I'm thinking I'll give my Tara crew a darker look, doing the non-void models with a blue-grey gloom. With that as the context, 1- should I? and 2- how would you change the bases to match the look (since they're what I'm least-satisfied about)? I was thinking maybe just some dark/raw stone wasteland look, since I have some inserts that'd fit the bill, but I'm not sold.

For reference, the current look:

Spoiler

tara.jpg

ttb%2Bpunk%2Bzombie.jpg

4 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I think the only problem with the bases you have is the sand. Problem with sand is that it looks fine from a distance but then up close you realise the scale is all kinds of weird because it's life-sized sand with a miniaturised person.

If I may suggest, gerbil bathing sand is perfect. It's not actually sand but rather clay or something, very fine and when glued it clumps up making for a very natural fine sand look. You can get it from pet stores and it's practically free.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I think the only problem with the bases you have is the sand. Problem with sand is that it looks fine from a distance but then up close you realise the scale is all kinds of weird because it's life-sized sand with a miniaturised person.

If I may suggest, gerbil bathing sand is perfect. It's not actually sand but rather clay or something, very fine and when glued it clumps up making for a very natural fine sand look. You can get it from pet stores and it's practically free.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very cool stuff as usual! That's such a super-dramatic look! I think that Karina is my favourite - the hand is such a cool detail and her pose works just excellently with the style of lighting you've got going. Maybe do something about the bow in the back, though?

And Tara's face is also amazing. What did you do to Tara's hand, though?

But yeah, I've said this before, but I'll say it again: you have built such a super-cool and unique style of painting. So inspirational!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, took ages to get back, sorry 'bout that--

Thanks! On Tara, I thought her hand looked cartoony since it was so large, so she's holding her wide-brimmed hat in a much less monstrous hand. Not completely satisfied with it, but I still think it's an improvement over the giant hand... that doesn't have any rules and that she's somehow s'posed to hold a weapon with, unless she's continually swapping weapons in one hand.

I was organizing/cleaning, so, with a little shopping to clean up my not-great photo of an action shot (read: some random crews I put glaring at each other).

large.action.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...