SC's new Malifaux painting thread (post-switch to white)

SpiralngCadavr

Nice job. I'm not sure the lighting works quite as well on the Doppelganger's front as usual, something to do with the skintone not contrasting enough or the angle she stands at just being a bit awkward. The other angles (which are the important ones :)) look great though, and the Beckoners turned out unbelievably well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You never cease to amaze - I really like your forgeworld chaos model.

Just wondering - personal opinion - do you find it difficult to bring out the details on Wyrd plastic models too? You can tell that there is a considerable difference between your wyrd and non-wyrd stuff as far as detail goes. I find I have to use a lot of wash/glaze techniques or paint the details back in myself when it comes to wyrd plastics and I don't particularly enjoy painting them, tbh.

Just wondering what you think. 

• Like 2

Zfiend, glad you caught why I chose her. And IDK, my western set has enough scary zombie folks that I guess I was fine practicing a healthier skin on her.

SEG, IDK, honestly. I think part of what you're seeing is simply that I do things at all sorts of mixes of levels- some pieces are things I feel more inspired to work on than others, and some is commission stuff where it depends on what people are asking for.

I think cloth and skin are areas where Wyrd's line excels, but sometimes details are shallow and some of their textures are a little weird to work with... for instance, Miss T's wood grain is really chunky, but the chains were really tiny, like, to the pint where I didn't feel like painting the edge links.

Where I think Wyrd most often edges out other lines is the character, where they get a sense of atmosphere/scene more than others.

Zfiend, glad you caught why I chose her. And IDK, my western set has enough scary zombie folks that I guess I was fine practicing a healthier skin on her.

Yeah I don't actually even remember whether the Forgotten one was an undead or not.. So if it's not an Undead model then no problem! I just went ahead and assumed it was Undead and that caught my eye. :D But yeah Superb choice with the placing of the coffin and all. And as always, you do great work! Just once I had something else to say apart from "freaking amazing work" I had to use the opportunity now didn't I? ;) 

• Like 2

Hehe, fair enough.

Oh, and SEG-- realized I was being dumb about difference in quality. While I think it's great that Wyrd's 100% okay with showing minis from other lines, I try to respect that this is a Wyrd forum, so most people are probably just interested in Malifaux et al. when they come here, so I limit my non-Wyrd minis to either proxies/conversions I use with Malifaux, or my best work from other lines, so you're seeing the whole spectrum of my Wyrd stuff while mostly just the top couple levels of my other minis.

• 2 weeks later...