SC's new Malifaux painting thread (post-switch to white)

SpiralngCadavr

Thanks, all- yeah, at first I was pretty skeptical of the transparent material, but am feeling like I've really gotten the material to work after a bit of playing with it... I have kirai's on the "to-do" list, am still on the fence about rasputina's (have it, like a lot except the ice golem which I find way too blue), and think the only one I'm definitely not doing is the dreamer, since I already put a huge amount of time into my nightmare set, and I have some proxies lined up for the alps since I don't like their look. Well, probably not bete, either, since she's so hard to find, but hopefully she'll be more available down the line.

FWIW, I think Lynch's crew would be perfect for a transparent treatment in a really pale blue or purple...

• 2 weeks later...

My "perfectly healthy" Tara fixation continues...

I'm re-basing all of my western/badlands set with a smoother and less flocked-looking style of base. Tara and her Death Marshals got a less-cartoony look, too. Not re-posting everything since it's a lot of repeats, though the rest are here.

dead%2Bmarshals.jpg

Also, my first podcast-- Schemes & Stones now has an intro to playing Tara & co.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks :). Yeah, I find a lot of Neverborn models a little plain out of context, but the right atmosphere and they look badass.

Another non-Wyrd model sneaks his way into my plog-- I've been using this guy as a Big Jake proxy... I actually got a spare due to a miscast, and I'm thinking I'll sculpt over the problems to malifaux him up, and have him permanently serve as Jake since I like the mini enough.

vargr.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Zfiend, I'd kinda' been thinking it'd fit the Mysterious Emissary, since all the twisty stuff reminds me a bit of the Effigy, and he's got a bit of the mimic and nature vibes I got off the rules, but IDK, mostly just a cool, creepy piece.

Viruk, yeah... I knew I'd be starting a kickstarter now-ish, and been in the middle of some medical stuff, so it was a crappy call to make, but I felt like chances were I'd either not be able to commit or it would detract from things I really needed to work on instead of something I just had fun with :(

I definitely want to try it if/when it happens again, though. 

I love that I can look at your stuff and say "yeah, that's SpiralingCadaver's stuff". I don't like effects when people just auto include them in their work because its expected (formulaic like "I must do 2 highlights + OSL + freehand to get a minimum 8/10 on CMON) but you are able to take lighting effects and make it defining part of your style. You're one of my favorite painters on the forums. :)

I'm so scared of those slenderman ankles that I've decided to wait til its plastic to buy it so that it will be a bit stronger, myself.

• Like 1

Thanks, all--

Spectre, yeah, I try... a bit of it's intentional, but it's mostly just how I think about stuff after so much painting and illustrating. On the model, it's actually just flexible enough that I'm not worried... then again, yeah, obviously you'd want to be gentler on it than with a basic gaming piece.

Zfiend, yeah, I thought so, too ;)

Antebellum, thanks, glad you're enjoying it!

So, I intended to post these a bit ago, but just got around to it. I uploaded a larger version of the shot I submitted for Frozen Moments, along with a sketch I worked on but chose not to submit since I felt it would be a bit gimmicky, but still thought it would be fun to show as a concept piece. (More notes)

The original shot I submitted at a higher resolution (opening it in a new tab will zoom further):

full-large.jpg

And said WIP shot:

zoraida-scene.jpg

• Like 4

Just catching this thread now and it was an absolute pleasure to scroll through.  I thought the OSL and skill you showed on the first LCB scene in this thread was awesome, but it's amazing to see how your skill has progressed throughout the thread.  Wow all around.  You skill with OSL and sharp light and shadow contrasts is incredible... and I've gotta throw some extra (thousands of) Wows in for that Zoraida crew.   Love the palette you went with for that scene as well, it really creates an atmosphere around the models.

And your Tara crews -  Wow again!  The void wretches and NB are superb and by far my favorite execution of them - both your negative image one and the translucent.  That is the first partially painted translucent model that I have been impressed by and I am really really impressed.  

I'll definitely be reading over your painting notes on Lynch as well (what drew me to this post). The blending on his suit is incredible and that's the best expression I've seen captured on his face!  And the rest of his crew follows suit ;) The tattoo on Graves, the blending on the depleted, and huggy are all awesome.

Also have to say I love your watermark signature.  Is that rendered?  Did you design/illustrate it yourself?
  • Like 1

Otylia- a lot to respond to!

On Tara, yeah, she's my favorite to play with, not my top-end work, but I really enjoy the aesthetic. And the transparent stuff felt a bit silly to me, so I spent a bunch of energy trying to figure out how to get it to not look like a toy. Somewhere around here there's some Woes from Pandora which were my first attempt. The matte transparency is partially a result of how much I liked how Sedition Wars handled theirs- whatever processing they used also resulted in a frosted rather than glassy look.

On Lynch, thanks-- the detail's a little soft/there were a few awkward bits since it was early generation, but I still think that crew has some of the most character of their line.

On OSL, thanks again-- it's really my favorite work when I can put in the time to do it right (and every time I've rushed it, it looks dumpy). It's also the stuff that's been most heavily influenced by my comic illustration work (in the sig), since there's been a ton of cross-pollination between my minis and illustration, regarding how light both naturally falls on something and how light looks natural (regardless of if it is). Same goes with some of my bigger experiments in contrasting light, since it's a lot more manipulable in photoshop than re-painting minis. (So, in response to your watermark comment, yep, that's my design, though it was done with a tablet when I was first learning to use it... I'm just barely getting in to playing around in 3D sculpting now and probably couldn't even sculpt the little guy yet :D )

So... not exactly a models-based thing, but, regarding my comics illustration I mention from time to time (such as, umm, above) as an influence for my work, my wife and i just launched our company's second kickstarter! 

We've been working on this for something close to two years now, and after waiting for approval to launch (last week has felt pretty agonizing), we just did :D

Super-stoked about this finally going live! (And of course the link.)

photo-original.jpg?v=1433376170&w=1024&h

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...