The observer's influence on a game?

poulpox

Hello!

I've started stalking a couple of games as observer to see how it goes, but I've been very hesitant to click on things by fear of moving a piece or interfering with the game in some way, which I wouldn't really like people doing on my games. I just wanted to check whether the observer can interact with the game board or not, ie can i just click away during someone else's game to find info on models/terrain options without fear of it being seen or modifying the current board display for the gamers, or might this actually interact with the pieces as if I was playing (for instance by turning on the melee range of a model)?

Thanks!

Thomas

Observers can move models and pieces on the board. Worst thing they can ever do is grab both rulers and then leave, this stops both players using the ruler.

As an observer you should touch nothing. Open the deck screens etc but don't do anything on the map other than resize it to match your needs.

Dgraz and I had the Interesting Incident of the Invisible Ikiryo yesterday...

Had a few observers in and out at the time though...

So yeah, observers touch nothing!

Which is fraking wierd why it would act like that. There are a wide amount of permissions when creating the module and setting role based permissions is a really big one, I think.

If you were part of the Lilith vs McGabe match yesterday then I turned on and off the different layers because I thought it wouldn't even apply.

Also, I didn't see McGabe, so that means Luna shouldn't have been on the board.

If you're really worried, you can lock the room. Some see it as rude but if you're trying to teach someone the game maybe it's best to be private. Otherwise I would welcome people and interact with them, either through group Skype or notifications. That way they can sit back and relax, knowing what's going on.

I actually do not want to see this. I like watching games and talking with the people.

Every element of the game can be programmed to have a "Restricted Access" property where, if configured correctly, will allow both players to move pieces (which is needed because there are a bunch of abilities that push models around) but disallow anyone not named "Player One" or "Player Two" to fool with the board.

This is just one model I selected and the trait I am talking about.

post-9680-13911926762847_thumb.png

(ignore the "Player 1" and "Player 2", in the module the numbers are spelled out.)

Everything will be restricted from observers including their access to the models (so they can't drop random models), the cards (which I like. They should report the number flipped to the game log to keep the players included), and the terrain.

I wouldn't get excited about it yet. It's growing pains. As the community learns Vassal as a whole and understand what happens when they touch things, it will all be cool.

People are just experimenting. They want to touch things. It's like locking a person in an empty room with a big, beautiful, shiny, red button and a sign saying "Don't push the button."