Is anyone else...

Drazulfel

... actually avoiding hopping on Skype & Vassal out of fear of appearing ignorant or n00bish in front of complete strangers, whom we naturally assume to all be uber elite Malifaux experts? You do this despite the fact that you're itching to play, and have been talking about it non-stop since the Vassal release was announced?

Maybe we should just set up a weekend ladder match for folks like us. :)

I'm far from a veteran of the game, but my rules knowledge is constantly expanding. Got to play an opponent that I had never played, and he taught me a few things that I didn't know.

Just hop on and go into it like it's a game at your FGLS. If you mess up a rule, say, "hey my bad man. Thanks for letting me know." No harm, No foul :)

whom we naturally assume to all be uber elite Malifaux experts?

That line cracked me up. I wonder if anyone who knows me actually considers me an "uber elite Malifaux expert"?

There are a lot of rules and interactions in this game. Nobody knows them all. Don't worry about it. And, if you're lucky enough to recognize someone on there that is a Henchman then you'd have less to worry about....it's our mission to help people learn the game.

I know it's easy to say, but the only way you get better is to play.

I have noticed that a lot of people are 'Locking' their game rooms. I wish people wouldn't do that just to fool around with the module. Leave it open, that way people can come around and see what you're doing....maybe we could help you figure out what you're doing.

I don't always have time to play, but I like to look around and lend a hand if able.

I agree, it's nice to have people genuinely being helpful. Whether it's letting people know that you only need one treasure for the shared scheme, or letting a newer player know that they forgot to take Critical Strike into consideration. I'd certainly like help with a new master like Kirai, as long as my opponent doesn't mind. Heck, you could even do a demo/training game! I never lock because coaching means more people understand the rules, which cannot be a bad thing.

... actually avoiding hopping on Skype & Vassal out of fear of appearing ignorant or n00bish in front of complete strangers, whom we naturally assume to all be uber elite Malifaux experts?

I must admit I was a bit apprehensive at first, especially as I had no experience with VASSAL and am fairly new to the game but took the plunge, asked to listen in on a game first then just gave it a go. Like LupusFerreus, I assumed I would looses a lot and hopefully learn (then again that's not all that different to my Malifaux gaming experience at the moment) but the way I see it you could pick up some nice new tricks from people in other gaming groups/the other side of the world that you wouldn't see normally, even if you went to a lot of tournaments. It's a great resource for helping spread knowledge in and about the game.

Maybe we should just set up a weekend ladder match

I'd definitely be up for something like that! Sort of an online tournament for those new to one aspect or other of the VASSAL/Malifaux experience. Count me in *happy*

While I understand Skype works better for a faster game, I kind of like it when players type out their actions. There are a few benefits to typing out movements/actions:

1) Watchers can more easily follow along.

2) It's easier to go back and check if certain scheme/strategy conditions were properly achieved (ie: if Grudge was actually performed with a melee strike).

3) You can look back on a game and try to figure out where it all went wrong, since every action would presumably be documented.

Of course, that's just imho.

Also, at some point I will find enough time to play a game on Vassal. So far I've only had time to lurk. Out of curiosity, how long are people's game's lasting?

I am totally intimidated on Vassal. But dammit, I'm gonna stick it out and have my ass handed to me over and over until I get over it.

The only thing I am concerned about is Skype. Not the use of it. Since I am a longtime MMO player I am use to 3rd party Chat Prog.s like Teamspeak3 and Vent. but at least there are ways to have a push to talk option. Truth be told I have no problem here (IE: not a mouth breather.) But I have misophonia and certain sounds make me flip out (IE: the sound of people eating or mouth breathing.) So yes I need to work on tolerance but I so want a "push to talk" option. lol!

I am totally intimidated on Vassal. But dammit, I'm gonna stick it out and have my ass handed to me over and over until I get over it.

The only thing I am concerned about is Skype. Not the use of it. Since I am a longtime MMO player I am use to 3rd party Chat Prog.s like Teamspeak3 and Vent. but at least there are ways to have a push to talk option. Truth be told I have no problem here (IE: not a mouth breather.) But I have misophonia and certain sounds make me flip out (IE: the sound of people eating or mouth breathing.) So yes I need to work on tolerance but I so want a "push to talk" option. lol!

Just found an option for push to talk on Skype ! hurrah ill have to tell the people I'im playing with to turn it on too :)

I am very firmly in this camp as well. And part of it for me is never knowing if you have enough time to actually sit down for a session and learn. And then of course falling behind and so on. But... I am willing to take my lumps. And hopefully Vassal doesn't inspire me to buy too many models that aren't in my collection already.

I also prefer to chat, unless I've been allowed to observe. It depends on the people playing, usually I'm sure people don't mind you joking with them or making a few comments here and there (even nicely answering my question about a model) but otherwise I sit and watch silently. I don't want to overstep my boundaries and annoy people, I'm happy to watch and learn.