Avatar Nicodem/Steampunk Abomination Combo?

Mordeqai

Hey guys, real quick - I'm a new Rezzer player focusing on Nicodem, asking a question on an off-key tactic.

I was going over a few areas of the Rezzers and undead I don't primarily deal with (Things outside Nico/McMourning/Karai), and stumbled upon Steampunk Abominations. Now, in synergy directly with Nicodem, these things definitely don't stand out as much as other models, but from their killing trigger, which turns the killed unit into an additional Steampunk Abomination, they could have synergy with friendly fire on Mindless Zombies, because four combined SA's turn into the killing machine that is the Desolation Engine. And having Avatar Nicodem raise SO many MZ's per turn, they can become a slaughterhouse of conversion to SA, potentially enough to create an entire Desolation Engine, per turn.

So here's the process I'd follow:

- Manifest Nico's Avatar ASAP

- Raise MZ's (1-4 a turn)

- Friendly-Fire convert them into SA's

- Combine into Desolation Engine

- Have DE kill enemy, and later come back to kill more MZ, raising more SA, creating more DE.

- Have Nico focus Decay on DE, negating it's Unstable Creation

However, as I said before, I'm not terribly experienced. Maybe this strategy's been mentioned before, but I couldn't find it easily. Any input from some more experienced players?

(Note that this is not an optimization build, but a creative and to-see-if-I-can build)

It does work in theory, but not that well necessarily. Looking at Mass Grave, Nicodem is only likely to summon 1-2 zombies a turn with it (about 74% chance it's 1-2 mindless zombies summoned). If Nicodem achieves a Manifest requirement turn 1, then manifests turn 2 as an (All) action, he really only has 4 turns to summon things, so likely that's 8 mindless zombies spread over the last 4 turns. Add in a few more mindless zombies from other stuff dying does help a bit there.

The real drawback is that the trigger to summon the steampunk abomination requires a Crow, and there's only so many of those. Also the abominations damage is only 1/2/4, so they need a severe to one-shot a mindless zombie otherwise it's a full activation just to kill one mindless zombie.

I can definitely see taking them in a regular Nicodem list, as a bunch of them together bring movement shenanigans and of course combine to bring in the desolation engine, not to mention Bolster Undead giving all of the above +2 Cb and Df.

If you like the idea of steampunk abominations, I highly recommend the ashes and dust/nurse combination. There are very few things scarier than a bolstered and juiced ashes and dust. Plus enemy models you kill with will auto turn into abominations. No crows needed.

Holy hell, I'd never considered that combination but it's completely disgusting. You can stack Stimulant and Speed, right? So in Nico's aura you end up with A&D having a Cb 13:crows:crows 3/4/6 attack with a :+fate on damage, and Reactivate... and then it kills itself as its last action, and removes the Sacrifice effect? Horrifying.

Holy hell, I'd never considered that combination but it's completely disgusting. You can stack Stimulant and Speed, right? So in Nico's aura you end up with A&D having a Cb 13:crows:crows 3/4/6 attack with a :+fate on damage, and Reactivate... and then it kills itself as its last action, and removes the Sacrifice effect? Horrifying.

It sounds cool, but how do you get to 13Cb? I know Nico gives +2 so where's the rest come from?

Thanks for the replies. I'll look at the Ashes and Dust model more in depth after this post. But, I had one clarification to ask:

Since Mindless Zombies aren't automatically friendly (The "Mindless" trait), would they count as enemy models, being that at the end of Activation, they can be controlled by the opposing master?