Understanding "Does not Die" on Stitched.

Pox

Question

Just want to try and check my understanding of this special rule that the stitched have...

it says on the Errata:

'Does Not Die' now reads "When this model would be killed, it instead remains in play with 1 Wd remaining. This model cannot be sacrificed or buried until the Start Close Phase, and if this model already activated this turn it gains Reactivate. Sacrifice this model during the Resolve Effect Step."

If say the stitched had 2 poison counters on it and only had 1 wound left, on it's activation it would take 2 wounds and trigger the does not die trigger and thus end it's activation. If it then reactivated it would take another 1 wound from the left over poison which would kill it and take it out without doing anything or would it trigger the "does not die" trigger again as it would be killed? In essence how many times can it reactivate in a turn if it keeps dying?

just want to check this is correct and reading it right (which hopefully i am)

17 answers to this question

The thing i think i was missing was that "does not die" doesn't end the activation.

so in a more advanced setting, Sonja avatar has plopped a big wall of flame on a stitched model that has not activated yet and it has 1 wound remaining...

I activate the stitched it takes the 3 damage from being inside a flame wall and triggers the "does not die" and then operates like normal with its two actions and 0 (lets say for some insane reason it chose to stay in the fire, and did double gamble your life and a gambler)

It now has reactivate because the trigger has gone off, when i reactivate it inside the flame wall it will take 3 damage again...activating the trigger "does not die" again so staying on 1 wound and free to do it's 2 actions and a 0 but of course cannot re-activate again because a model cannot reactivate twice in a turn.

IF that is all correct, then i think with your help i'm finally getting there! *breathes sigh of relief* of course if i'm wrong then back to the drawing board.

of all the models in the entire game, stitched are the only ones that really make my brain hurt also not helped as my last opponent insisted that as the stitched took damage on it's reactivate it would end it's activation.

Also fell foul to a guild exorcist sacrificing one that was on full health with some ability similar to headshot. (sounded right on the day.)

So before they have died they do seem vulnerable to sacrificing/burying at least?

Also fell foul to a guild exorcist sacrificing one that was on full health with some ability similar to headshot. (sounded right on the day.)

So before they have died they do seem vulnerable to sacrificing/burying at least?

Yup. We had a game between the Dreamer and Lady J where the masters activated early and there was a flurry of cards being cheated left and right, then LJ's Exorcist walked up and calmly sent a Stitched straight to hell. Like many such triggers, it's only really helpful if you manage to drain their hand first in one fashion or another.

though think i remember reading somewhere that you cannot choose to sacrifice a stitched (could easily be mistaken on that front.) say with the 1 action that brings in killjoy.

just spotted this in an old thread when looking at some answers and it is damn sneaky!

"If it is currently Activating and it dies (say from losing Gable Your Life) then it gains Reactivate as a model is considered to be activated when it starts it's activation. "

Karn987

so if they kill you before you have activated thinking that a smart move you could get it killed again in your turn to trigger the re-activate!

Leveticus can sacrifice enemy models that have a low amount of wounds - allowing him to deal with stitched who haven't already trigger "does not die".

Molly can do it too - but it costs her either a totem or herself!

Such abilities aren't that common in the game though.

If you're unsure on their rules, then don't bring them tonight :-)

I'm sure you'll do fine without them. ;-)

though think i remember reading somewhere that you cannot choose to sacrifice a stitched (could easily be mistaken on that front.) say with the 1 action that brings in killjoy.

just spotted this in an old thread when looking at some answers and it is damn sneaky!

"If it is currently Activating and it dies (say from losing Gable Your Life) then it gains Reactivate as a model is considered to be activated when it starts it's activation. "

Karn987

so if they kill you before you have activated thinking that a smart move you could get it killed again in your turn to trigger the re-activate!

You can sacrifice stiched together normally.

BUT if does not die has been activated, then they can no longer be sacrificed until the end close phase.

Eitehr by you or by your opponent.

And yes, killing them before they activate will stop them getting re-activate. But if they die during their activation, or after their activation (say for example one of your models attacked them and does 1 damage), then the does not die will trigger again, and that time they will gain reactivate.

Basically, its a lot of hard work by your opponent to stop them getting 2 activations on the turn they die.

If you're unsure on their rules, then don't bring them tonight :-)

I'm sure you'll do fine without them. ;-)

Stitched have only ever performed average for me, so determined to try and make them work. Though would consider dropping them if you don't take Miss "all your puppets are kindling" Sonja.

You seem to have most of this down now. A couple of things I noticed in the thread, not actually related to the Does Not Die ability:

Starting an activation in hazardous terrain doesn't actually cause the model to take damage. That only happens when the model moves (or is moved). Yes, it's weird.

Also, Molly can't kill a Stitched with The Philosophy of Uncertainty - it sacrifices the caster, but it only kills the target.